1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Flyers2011, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Flyers2011

My mom and I went looking for cars today because we're going to get one for me to work and go to college.

We're looking for something $5,000 or under, that runs well and gets good gas. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for or how to wheel and deal with the seller?

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

2. lostinthought9

Well, that depends, about how old do you want the car to be? I'm assuming you only want a car, and not a small SUV, or a small truck? What about brand loyalty?

As a college student, I wish I would have maybe gotten a small SUV instead of the coupe I have now. It would have made moving back and forth ALOT easier. Just a tip.

3. EM68

You may want to look at Hondas or Toyotas. They are on the top of preowned car list. They are tops for loyalty and lowest cost of ownership. Whatever car you buy before you do so get a Carfax to check out the history. If the car has a major accident, salvaged title or anything that sounds suspicious walk away. This is a good weekend to look around being Presidents Day weekend. So many dealers are looking to wheel and deal. But don't feel presured to do anything unless you are totally comfortable with everything. Good luck. :slight_smile:

4. Flyers2011

I saw a really nice Ford Ranger today, but when we test drove it it had a knock in the engine and the front shook really bad. So it was a definite no, but small trucks (Rangers, S10s, Sonomas) are at the top of my list.

I hate small cars, because they're uncomfortable for sure. And where I live everyone drives huge trucks and if I get hit by one of them I'm toast.

Brand loyalty would mainly be Chevy, but I would mostly like it to be American made at the least. I don't mind Toyota and Honda, but I've been driving a Chevy lately so I'm used to that lol.

5. lostinthought9

Ah okay, well you seem to have narrowed it down pretty much. I guess all that there's left to say is: if you don't like it, then don't buy it. Don't settle for something you know you don't care for. And, of course good luck! :slight_smile:

6. Flyers2011

My one bro suggested I check out cars on Craig's List, I've never really used that before so I don't know if it's a good idea or not. Any opinions?

7. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Corollas and Accords. Amazing gas mileage and very dependable cars.

8. starfish

Let me guess it had the 3.0 L V6. They are notorious for knocking when you run regular gas in them. When it gets above 60F I have to run mid grade in mine. The front end shaking is not good. Likely needs ball joints. Unless you are handy if a wrench I say it was wise to pass.

If you want an inexpensive truck and I would suggest a regular cab full size with a V6. You can pick them up pretty cheap. If you look around you can find a V8 at a good price. I suggest looking for an ex-fleet truck as you will they are generally well maintained. Downside is the truck will be striped and your only color choice will be white.

Take a look here. http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/vehicles.ex?page=2&orderByCol=DATE_ADDED&orderByDir=desc Fastenal sells off their delivery tucks every couple of years and has some pretty good deals.

As for Criagslist. It is fine, but just like buying any car you need to do the due diligence in checking it out.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Corolla imo

10. 507bro

If you want an SUV or a truck don't expect it to be a gas sipper. With the gas price going up it's your call.

11. maverick

Get something with good gas mileage. Gas is going up to five dollars a gallon in the U.S. by the end of the year.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's already far more than that here

13. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here in the uk we are paying £1.31 per litre of petrol and more for diesal.

We have to think about economy over everything now.

14. Flyers2011

My mom and I share a car right now, a Monte Carlo. It gets about 26ish mph on the highway, which is aobut the same in the Rangers (if they're taken care of). But I know I need to find something with good gas mileage, because it's easier on my wallet. I live by three freeways, so that makes travel a touch easier on my gas tank and my time.

We're going to look again tomorrow at a car lot owned by a family friend of my best friend.

15. maverick

Yeah, but we're imperialist bastards, it's supposed to be cheap for us. :lol:

16. Idunnohereitis

Getty a niffty sion. they are actually kinda easy to repair, inexpensive, a good first car to have says a few people with an automotive background. Good luck, i need to get a car too. preferably one that can deal with snow because my location has snow for like 7/8 months of the year

17. starfish

Another option is a mini van. Yeah they are not very sexy, but if you fold down the rear seats you can get a lot of stuff in them.

18. xequar

As dependable as many other cars.

Really when you're buying a car that's more than five years old, which is what $5,000 is going to get you, it mostly comes down to the previous owners' maintenence.

That said, if you're looking in the small truck range, the S-10s of the late '90s had a number of issues. Although the 4.3 was a great engine, the later revisions created some longevity issues. The Rangers with the 4.0 or the 4-banger, especially with a manual transmission, will run forever, although the 4.0 was really hard on gas.

If you start looking in the car range, GMs with the 3800 V6 and the 4T65 transmission are usually pretty bulletproof, are are pretty much any GM with the 3.1 V6, which means the Impala, the LeSabre, the Bonneville, the last Luminas, and some of their brethren. (my '95 LeSabre would manage about 32 mpg if I kept it under 75 mph on the freeway). Late '90s bubble Tauruses will usually hold up, but there are a few known quality issues that require a second thought. The mid-2000s Tauruses are pretty solid, and you can pick them up dirt cheap. Old Camrys will hold up IF they've been maintained, but old Accords seem to survive getting the shit beaten out of them pretty well. Malibus hold up amazingly well to getting the shit beaten out of them too, and I've seen a number of examples now with well over 200,000 on them. If you can afford a bit more for gas, the Panther-body Fords (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car) are fucking amazing cars that run and run and run and run and run. There's a reason the cops and taxi companies and limo companies LOVE those cars.

But, if you're thinking cargo space, seriously look at buying a van instead of a small truck. You'll get cargo space and interior comfort. Avoid the last of the Astro vans, as they had all sorts of goofy electrical gremlins as well as random issues with the last revision of the 4.3 (the 4.3 was fucking bulletproof before about 1996, after that it was problematic). Run, don't walk, but run screaming in the other direction from any Ford Windbag van or any Chrysler van before about 2002. The Venture van, on the other hand, was remarkably bulletproof.

As for sources, Craigslist is great for vehicles, as long as you remember the same caveats of buying any used car-BUYER BEWARE! A couple of years ago, I needed a cheap vehicle with an automatic transmission because of my smashed clutch-pushing leg. I wound up buying a 1992 Astro Van for $800, and it was solid enough to make it from Detroit to Chicago and back. Also, look for some of the car donation places in your area. Here in the D, Veterans of America does a car donation thing, and they sell the donated cars to the general public, usually at a pretty affordable price, and funnel the proceeds into veterans programs.