1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mississippi to issue license place honoring KKK founder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dan82, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41555558/ns/us_news-life/

:bang::bang::bang:

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

:/ They better not let that happen because it's horrible, reminds us of how many ignorant people there are in the world because they can't realize the things certain people did :/, I can't believe they think someone like that is honourable enough to get that.

#2 Witchcraft, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  3. Shevanel

Now, when I was a baby, Momma named me after the great Civil War hero, General Nathan Bedford Forrest. She said we was related to him in some way. And what he did was, he started up this club called the Ku Klux Klan. They'd all dress up in their robes and their bedsheets and act like a bunch of ghosts or spooks or something. They'd even put bedsheets on their horses and ride around. And anyway, that's how I got my name, Forrest Gump. Momma said that the Forrest part was to remind me that sometimes we all do things that, well, just don't make no sense.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How come so much of "Southern Pride" is wrapped up in those five years of their 250+ year existence?

Lex

5. RedState

I don't know...it's just is. It simply a fact of life. We had a big celebration in Montgomery this weekend celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Jefferson Davis' inauguration. You still don't ever mention Gen. Sherman down here...and some people refuse to carry $50 bills.
    It's a mythical and legendary period for us down here. I'm a member of a SCV Chapter...we don't really fool with license tags but rather concentrate on historical appreciation and community service activities.

#5 RedState, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ow...my head hurts.

7. RedState

Actually, I think it was NB Forrest that turned to Klan onto more sinister areas of development. Up until that time the Klan was really nothing more than a bunch of un-organized towns people wandering about in Pulaski, Tennessee wearing bed sheets...and the only reason they did that was to get people talking about them and spark interest. Some would ride around at night claiming to be the ghosts of dead confederate soldiers, etc...parlor trick type stuff.

NB Forrest was a mean, and brilliant, SOB on the battlefield. So when he arrived on the scene, he directed the Klan into, ahem, other activities.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it's just to remind us that some people should be hit by cars.

And besides, driving around with someone's face on your bumper is just strange, tacky, and very tourist-like in general. License plates are one of the few things left that merely serve a practical function, and now we have to gussy them up with breast cancer ribbons, endangered species, and leaders of discriminatory organizations. What's next? An I <3 Hitler bumper sticker?

9. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is just disgusting. Why honor someone who started an organization as evil as the Ku Klux Klan?! Seriously, this is an organization that has tortured and murdered god only knows how many people just for being black. Great, and lets just honor Hitler and Stalin while we're at it. Sorry, this just makes me feel sick to my stomach. :tantrum:

10. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's the South. They treat the Confederacy like Top Gear' treats cars on BBC. In all fairness people who are going to get these plates already have them in the front of their cars, on their car windows, probably have a confederate flag waving from their car, confederate bumper stickers and widow stickers. I honor equality they honor hypocritical ideas. We can co-exist by forgetting the other exists until we see our license plates.

11. Strawberry

I am currently stuck in Mississippi, and all I can say is that I am honestly not surprised at all.

It's times like this that I have to rock back and forth repeating, "2 more years until I can leave forever, 2 more years until I can leave forever..."

12. TheDarkerPoet

the indecency of humans amazes me sometimes. I'm dumbfounded. I have nothing to say.

Awh :icon_sad: Hang in there hun.
    (&&&)

13. midwestblues

It's abowwt cawlchure

#13 midwestblues, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  14. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I fail to see how this is a terrible deed, they want to honor a fallen comrade so be it, okay he was an extreme racist, like the founding fathers weren't? they had slaves, they were racist, yet we put them on money, celebrate holidays about them, if anyone's gone to the Lincoln memorial museum (which i doubt) and read Lincoln's diary would know the guy was bat shit crazy. That's there history if they want to honor it by remembering all the bad shit so be it.

15. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

A lot of the founding fathers spoke out against slavery actually, also about half of them spoke against Christianity (which I have to admit, that really does tickle my fancy)

16. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    they spoke out against slavery yes, but that doesn't mean they weren't racist them selves (i.e. Benjamin Franklin had slaves)