1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer Societies!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bevo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Bevo

I'm pretty happy today because I plucked up the courage and joined the LGBT group at my University, although unfortunately I miss out on most of the bi-weekly meetings for this semester because of my annoying timetable.:eusa_doh:

Anywho it got me thinking, what about the rest of you guys? Who has joined a LGBT/Queer club, group, society or whatever? Is it independent or is it part of your school or university? Has it helped you in any way?

2. RedKnight

I've been meaning to join the one at my uni but my courage plucking skills are not the best

3. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I started a Gay-Straight Alliance at my school. It technically doesn't start until next year, after I graduate, but I was the one who got the school to approve it and set up the teachers and students who will be in it next year.

4. Allecto

I'm a member of my campus' Pride group.

5. Zontar

I joined about three weeks ago. Been fun so far.

6. TheDarkerPoet

I'm a part of the GSA at my school and I've taken to wearing rainbow stuff when we have meetings. It's really nice to see how many people are willing to talk openly about gay-lesbian issues and sexual identity in general.

7. maverick

I wish I had the confidence to join a queer group. There's one in my city on Meetup, but...I don't know... :icon_sad:

Part of it is just because I associate groups of predominately gay people with drama because of past experience in college, and ugh...I just don't need any more drama in my life right this second. And part of it is that my coming out has been so tumultuous I really don't want to deal with any aspect of it right now, much less explain it to a group of random strangers over beer.

But I feel bad because I've been part of this Meetup since before Christmas and I never go to meetings.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once I'm mobile and have a license I plan on joining one. I hear there is one that's only about half an hour away, so I'll probably look into it first.

9. theJosephDean

The LGBTieS group here is very... dramatic... like, it's basically just a bunch of people who come together for a day every week, and then every other day of the week, they're just bitching about each other. Even though there are a LOT of gay/bi students at my university, we're in such a loop of the bible belt that everyone is closeted, so it's basically the ones who are out basically all date each other, so everyone hates each other x_x

It's just a giant clusterfrak. I'm just glad I'm not in that mess >_>

10. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I would love to join a group but I don't know if there are any in my town. =\ This town is very Christian/Catholic.

11. maverick

^ I have noticed this too, gay groups are so small that everyone ends up sleeping with each other and then having serious drama for the next, I don't know....three or four years. >_<