1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southeast Water EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perrygay, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I'm sure most of you have heard about the Southeast's extreme drought, but I'd like to write a little about it to better inform everyone.

Since last October, the South (esepecially Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina) has been dealing with unusually long periods of high pressure. This high pressure has prevented the region from receiving it's average amount of rainfall. For example, the City of Atlanta is recording a -15.00+ inch deficit of rain. There are places in Alabama that are behind over 25.00 inches.

Earlier in the year, south Georgia and northern Florida were experiencing the worst drought problem. Where I live, in Perry, Georgia, we were covered in smoke everyday in May from the largest wildfire ever recorded in state history. Thankfully, tropical storm Barry came and brought much needed rain to put an end to that fire. And over the course of the summer, on-shore flows of moisture brought south Georgia and the georgia coastal plain enough rain to pull us out of the drought. My county, Houston, is no longer experiencing drought conditions.

However, this rain did not make it's way into north Georgia,Alabama,Tennessee, and North Carolina. Because of extreme summer heat, almost no rainfall, and uncontrolled sprawl in places like the greater Atlanta metro area, millions of people are now in danger of having no drinking water. Lake Lanier, which supplies 3 million Atlantans with water, has only 79 days before it is suspected to "go dry." Smaller metro areas in North Carolina, which have been hurt even harder by the drought in some instances, have less than a ninety day supply of water as well.

Yesterday, the Govenor of Georgia, Sonny Perdue, declared a state of emergency in northern Georgia. He also requested the president declare the northern third of Georgia a major disaster area. The situation has become so drastic that the state of Georgia is considering installing desaltinization plants along its coast to pump water into Atlanta's reservoirs.

Our state government is now suing the Army Corps of Engineers. They are releasing billions of gallons of fresh water a day to "save" federally protected and endangered muscles and sturgeon in Florida; obviously, the muscles and sturgeon are more important than the safety of millions of North Georgians. This water release is taking almost six inches from Lake Lanier a day.

The family that I have in northern Georgia is experiencing this problem first hand. Outdoor watering has been banned since September, lawns have been dead for months, and people are driving their cars around with thick layers of dirt on them. Residents are being requested to restrict shower times to less than five minutes, and water rationing plans are being drafted by the county governments.

To learn more about the water crisis in the Southeast, here are some links that you can visit:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/20/georgia.drought/index.html
    http://www.wmgt.com/node/4827
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303769,00.html

2. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hadn't heard about the water rationing, but I have about Lake Lanier. My dad, an avid gardener, is very upset about the watering restriction, all his roses are dying. The driving around with layers of dust thing is completely new to me, though. Where exactly is that happening?

3. surfrboykai

we're under water restrictions here in florida

4. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Duluth, Alpheretta, Johns Creek. I was just up there last weekend. They've been doing a lot of construction up there, especially in Johns Creek with all the road widening, and people aren't allowed to wash the construction dirt off the cars because of the water restrictions. And there isn't rationing yet, but after the 90day's supply is out, there will be.

#4 Perrygay, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  5. Bryan

Yeah, I saw that on the today show this morning, and it was also in the NYT magazine section of todays paper. I do feel you, we have been under water restrictions for a while, however, we are prone to drought in S. Fla, so we are pretty accustom to them. I have spent a good part of my life looking at dead lawns, dirty cars and shallow lakes. Hope the situation gets better for Y'all, but hey, if Las Vegas or Phoenix can supply water to all of its people, so can Atlanta, it may just cost more.

6. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Yeah, the same thing's going on up here in Virginia. Friday was the first day in 34 days that we've had any rain, but it didn't really help with the drought at all. It's pretty warm here, consistently in the 80s every day, but the leaves are changing colors just because of the drought and lawns have been brown for weeks. Things aren't nearly as bad here as they are further south though, since we don't have any water restrictions in place yet, but its not shaping up to be the best fall. But it looks like there's a front that'll be moving through in a few days that should help to alleviate the South's drought a little.

7. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Ugh i feel bad! And here i am wasted water like tomorrow! i take like hour long baths! and somtimes just let the water run while im taking a doo dooo just so i can hear the water hehe. But wow! thats amazing that america....AMERICA! is having a drought problem after all the technology we have and what not ud excpet us on the list of disasters that cud happen or such that a drough wud beeee wayyyy beloow like under alien abduction...isnt their sometype of way Georgia can take ocean water purify it and supply it to its people? and the waste water purify that and throw it back ut into the ocean

8. davo-man

That's terrible, hopefully the weather lets up soon...Us, in Australia are in a very similar situation, or at least in South Australia...Our farmers have not had a sufficient crop for 7 years because of the drought we are experiencing. Many of the things ou talk about Im experiencing as well, with many water restrictions on watering gardens, showers etc...It's so bad that the government is thinking about making people use imported bottled water, cos we aren't getting enough from the Murray

(I know Im semi-hijacking this thread, but it is slightly on topic) In fact, I was watching this doco that was about the kids in the rural areas of Australia that have never seen a lake or big body of water, and their reactions when they see the ocean is incredible. Anyway, supposedly they have baths of just 2 inches of water, and must share this with the entire family...How incredible is that.

Anyway, back on topic. I hope the weather gets better soon both over in your area and over here, and anywhere in the world that's experiencing harsh conditions

9. Jerr

*looks around*

so haven't heard of that.... yeah I'll go ahead and hang my head in shame now...

10. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Thankfully, GEORGIA GOT SOME RAIN! Go us! My aunt called me when I got home from school and told me it rained up there.

And like you said Brian, Atlanta will have to provide water to its residents. If mother nature won't do it, the state of Georgia will have to.