1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compulsory Voting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by davo-man, Oct 22, 2007.

1. davo-man

I was just wondering what people's thought are on compulsory voting. By this I mean whether you think it is a good idea to make it law that you must vote in Federal elections (I'm not sure that's what you call them in other parts of the world, but I'm talkin about the ones where you vote for the leader of your respective government)

My opinion is that I really like that I have to vote, and feel ...pride, I guess that I have to. I guess it's semi-annoying if you have other things to do on that day, but I would prefer this system to where you aren't forced to vote, because if I wasnt forced to, i probably wouldn't remember to go to the polls.

But obviously that's just my opinion, so feel free to disagree with it: Do you prefer compulsory or non-compulsory voting?

2. TriBi

Having some understanding of the voting situation in a few different countries, I have to say that I like the Australian system.

Not just the fact that it forces everyone to get off their asses and express an opinion (even if, for some, that may be just "spoiling their vote), but also for the preferential voting system. While it may be somewhat complex - and far from perfect - I think it is much better than a lot of other alternatives.

3. Bryan

I am not a huge fan of it, even though alot of people would probably vote for democrats if it was instituted in the us. I think that being part of a democracy gives you the freedom to choose whether to participate or not.

4. panda

We just had a provincial election in which about 50% of eligible voters chose to vote.So the party that won only had 40% of the vote.60% of the voters were against the winning party.
    That's one of the problems with a multi party system.
    We had a referendum to change the system but it was voted down.I like the fact of choosing to vote.At least the people who care actually get out and vote.
    But with all the crappy politicians that we do elect I've often thought that a wise and noble dictator would be the best.
    What do you think Kai?

5. xequar

Personally, I think that if the person voting is uninformed about what or who they're voting for, they shouldn't be voting. People like my parents in a voting booth scare me because, for example, my parents basically know who's running and little else. My dad will ask me for my thoughts and opinions because I am very interested by politics, and he'll make his decision with that in mind. My mom votes purely on who she likes or doesn't like based on their commercials.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think compulsory voting would be OK if:

1. It was made easier for those who can't get to the polling station for whatever reason to be able to vote (postal votes are OK, but you have to allow for people who are away for whatever reason, are blind etc).

2. There should be an option for "none of the above". Spoiling the paper does suggest this but it would be good to have a box to say so. Of course they won't because loads of people would choose that which could make the ballot void if that was too high.

What happens in countries where it is compulsory if people don't vote? How do they enforce it?

7. TeeBe

I like the idea of compulsory voting. It would encourage people to pay attention to politics, since their opinion would matter, like it or not. People who "forget" or are jsut to lazy to go out and vote would.

Plus, you do always have the option of spoiling our vote. Then you are fufilling your legal duty, but showing your displeasure in the system/candidates.

In the recent Ontario election, barely half of eligible voters bothered to turn up- an all time low! At least instituting a compulory vote is taking some sort of action!

8. Steam Giant

Personally, I'd prefer some kind of minor benefit for voting than a penalty for not voting. I've never voted on anything before, because I have yet to learn of a candidate for anything, local or otherwise, who accurately represents me and my views. Having a basic grasp on how the process works, I'm also very aware of how little difference my vote will make.

I know there's the whole, "what if everyone said their vote didn't matter and stayed home instead of voting," but I've found a clever way around that. As far as anyone who knows me personally knows, I vote every year. That way, my decision to not vote does not influence others, because they don't know about it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Maybe that's just an excuse, but between the above and the fact that I don't know enough to make an informed decision makes it a waste of time for me to vote.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In local authority elections here in the UK (not the big general elections for the House of Commons), turnouts of around 25% are not unusual. Even in general elections a 50% turnout would be good.

People are not interested and often think all the parties are much the same. Also people think that politicians will make promises before the election then not keep them afterwards. Rather than making voting compulsory, the parties should try to make their differences clearer so people understand what they are voting for and are interested, and should do what they promise!

10. Corey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I totally agree... and it is so sad that ppl don't vote here... the worst is listening to someone complain about the government, and they didn't even go and vote. The government is there for the ppl... but if no one votes... then the governement can do whatever they want... definately agree with complusive voting.. then everyones voice is heard

11. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I think that if people that do not care are forced to vote- they will probably vote for some random person, and still pay no attention to the people running.

12. davo-man

Just to clear up a couple of things

If a person does not vote on the allocated day, they are given a fine of a couple of hundred dollars (I think, but don't hold me to my word)...Anyway, basically it is enforced that people vote with consequences if they don't

Also, Im pretty sure there is a box to tick if you dont wanna vote for anyone (or spoiling your vote)...Or else you can just hand in a blank form . We call them Donkey Votes in Australia.

13. justjoshoh

Well having been in a position of needing an electorate to vote for me, albeit in a small local election, I am on the fence. Part of me would like to say no; if a person is too disinterested to actively involving themselves and to participate in democracy by representing themselves and their values in a show of civic responsibility so be it. Though, on the other hand, knowing that those same disinterested voters would have stand a 50% chance of voting for me, in a two person race, I say bring on the votes.

#13 justjoshoh, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  14. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voting is mandatory in Uruguay. I could not care less. Politicians here are all the same. All the parties have been in power and nothing has changed...

15. surfrboykai

i work with someone from brazil, and he told me that like, you can't get a job or receive federal aid, or a lot of other things unless you vote. however, at the same, i'm scared of people not being informed. i think voting should be more widespread. i can't think how for phrase this...but i think more people should vote, yah? we need more incentive. maybe something like in brazil, but not to the extent that you can't get a job, yah?

i mean, i'm sick of people complaining about the government, yah? most of the people that complain didn't vote, so, in my opinion, they shouldn't have the right to talk smack.

EDIT: anyone found it hilarious when paris hilton was involved in diddy's "vote or die" campaign and not only did she not vote, she wasn't even registered!

#15 surfrboykai, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  16. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in Uruguay it's more or less like in Brazil. You have to pay incredibly high fines, your salary is held by the state... etc.

17. BlasttheCloset

I agree that ppl simply need to go of their own volition, and that forcing uninformed ppl who don't care enough to vote on their own to vote will just mess things up. But I agree, that if candidates and parties were more honest, more ppl might vote. But I wish that we had the option of a 'none of the above' vote. I would take it many times.

18. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What the government really needs to do is require all candidates to actively report every aspect of their campaign as it progresses, everything from their platform to their campaign contributors, and make it easily accessable to everyone.

As it is now, information on candidates is all over the place and requires a good deal of research to find out who you're dealing with. Most people just don't have the time or patience to deal with that. I've known many people who don't vote simply because they don't feel like they can make a truly informed choice. Making it easier to get all this information would allow more people to feel like they are making a more informed choice and would increase the number of votes.

A none of the above option would be nice too. Brewster's Millions is one of my favorite movies because of his big campaign to get people to vote "none of the above" rather than elect someone who doesn't deserve the job.

19. surfrboykai

i don't think it's an honesty issue. i think that americans, in general, are lazy. i cannot wait to vote. i'm so stoked it's not even funny haha. i feel it's everyone's civic duty to go out and vote!