1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning Gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MMAnick, Mar 4, 2011.

1. MMAnick

For some reason alot of people think that a person can "turn gay." A co-worker of mine's worse fear is that her 4 year old son will become gay so she tries to shelter him from anything that could "turn" him. She wouldn't even get him a Pillow Pet because she said it could "make him gay."

A girl I know from the gym I go to has a younger brother (age 11) who she has cought touching himself a few times but the last time to a video game....whatever i guess lol. But she has taken it upon herself to show him what he "should" be looking at and hid a few playboy's in plain view so he would find them. When I asked why that was even necessary she said "well the last time was to a video game lol....plus it's better than him turning gay right?"

I've heard people say "turning gay" before but I'm not sure how to disprove them. The only thing I can ever say is "It dosen't work that way...people don't just turn" but thats all I can ever think to say. No one knows that I'm bi so I'm afraid that if I fight passionately I could be outted but I would like to say something that would convince people that a person can't be "turned gay."

Has anyone else met people who think this way? If so what did you say.....what could I say without raising any eyebrows?

2. Markio

That woman really said "lol" at the end of a sentence?

You could always say that you read online or in a news article that gay people don't "become" that way. It's the same argument you already have, but if you attribute it to some external credible source, the attention is not directed at you.

Another alternative to tell the people who prevent their children from having gender-atypical toys is this: you have a friend who's a guy and he played with his sister's dolls, and he's straight, so the toys therefore don't change people's sexual orientation.

3. Flyers2011

My friend is convinced that I 'turned' my last two girlfriends bi. But, I know from them that they've known about their sexuality for a couple of years at least. I was so confused by that.

Someone can't be convinced that they're gay or straight. Sexuality is purely biological. You can't change someone's sexual attraction. It just doesn't work. At least in my opinion.

4. MMAnick

Yes she did it was a text....and thanks I might try the new artical thing.

5. Beachboi92

well if you want to debate them on that look up the research studies. The scientific community has proven that biology and genes play at least some role in people being homosexual along with showing the role that hormones in the womb play on it. Look stuff up and do the debate.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do this all the time! Whenever I'm having a discussion with someone and I don't want to admit to personal experience on the matter for whatever reason, I just make up an article on the subject that mirrors whatever I'm telling them. And in this case if the lady were to ask for sources, there are actually numerous articles out there that support your side of the argument.

And even though it makes parents seem void of all scientific knowledge when they talk about their fear of their children "becoming gay", it does (usually, unless the parents are total boneheads) show that they are concerned for the well being of the child - which is always a good thing no matter how it comes across.

7. Darkwing65

You can turn gay no more than you can turn Asian.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4[/YOUTUBE]

8. Fintan

Just tell her to avoid the gay switch on her son's back. As long as no one flips it, he'll be straight. :wink:

9. Ichi42go

Well, considering the "sheltering" she is giving, I would say she should now have no worries about him being gay in the future. After looking at those playboys and being reminded how liking girls is the only way, I am sure he will grow up to be a very upstanding womanizing homophobic republican someday.

As for the "turning gay" thing... I was actually thinking about this recently too. I sort of realized something; for one, unless you have something against gay people, there should never be a FEAR of it. Besides, the only difference between straight and gay is just a closet door in many cases. Whenever people start talking about turning gay, just ask then what turned them straight, because, well OBVIOUSLY we are all taken into a dark room one night when we are adolescents by the boogie man and he only chooses the ones he likes to hide in the closet with him, and all the little boys and girls who get away are forever deemed straight... (What? am I the only one that remembers that?)

(DISCLAIMER: Nothing in here was meant to be offensive... I just make my points best through humor sometimes. I'm in a good mood...)

10. Rikudo

I have yet to meet somebody who says that people choose to turn gay but I've met a girl who has state that in her opinion it's a choice. I was rather surprised by this girl's opinion as well as she tends to be an extremely friendly individual.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Actually, saying "It dosen't work that way...people don't just turn" is really all you can do. You won't change anyones mind, but you can at least let them know that there is a different view of how things work out there.

Just say it with a smile and they will get the point. If they ever ask how do you know or something you can act like you have a gay cousin maybe?

12. ToTheCeilingFan

People can be so weird...I guess sometimes the best comeback is not to get riled up but to calmly explain that what they're saying is making them sound like a total idiot.