1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name changes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Witchcraft, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I've been wanting to change my last name for quite a while now but I don't know what kind of reasons that they would accept someone's name change request in Ontario, mine is mostly because I don't want my biological father's last name because I don't even know him and he has no custody of me either, and I want my last name to sound more comercial as I do want to be a fashion designer some day xd but the name I want to change it to is the last name of some of my relatives :/ help anyone?

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think at your age you'd probably need your guardian's permission, but i'm not sure on canadian / ontarian law. It'll also probably cost a lil bit, the bureaucracy always throw in fees where they can.

As far as reasons go, i don't think that matters. People change their names on a whim all the time. The only reason they ever turn it down is for absurdity (something like ksujfhipjsbiljbSLAFBLfjbklfjdblkdb could be turned down on sheer nonsense value, etc etc), or profanity.

#2 Pseudojim, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Yes I have my mom's permission and I think it's around $130

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're fine then. Enjoy!

5. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

but are my reasons good enough? because they might not accept my application :/

6. starfish

In the US you don't need a reason. Just ask Chad Ochocinco.

You just have to petition the court and they do a background check. They want to be sure you're not trying to evade prosecution.

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, that's probably the most common reason the deed poll office hears.

8. roborama

im 16 as well and i changed my last name for a very simular reason. it was one of the best things i did, and the best bday present ever (yeahh dont ask). you really dont even need a reason but yours is definitly valid and a lot of people do it. if its what you want then youll be so happy you did. best of luck!

9. TheJoker

"Schwarzenegger" :icon_bigg

If a man can be commercial with such name,any name must be valid.

10. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I changed my name in Ontario at the age of 18. My reason was not good but I do not think they care about the reason (I wanted a name from a Greek king that appeared in Homer's Odyssey). The fees I paid for the name change form, for the city hall clerk to sign an affidavit to swear they've seen my original birth certificate, and for the subsequent changes to my citizenship certificate and passport, in total, on the other hand, was SUPER EXPENSIVE.

11. Ianthe

I don't see why it would be any kind of problem; a change in last name is very common, women traditionally changing their last name when they get married. Also, situations similar to yours are not uncommon--there are especially lots of kids that take the stepfather's name if the stepfather is raising them, or simply because their mother took his name.

Here in the U.S., I don't think you need a reason at all. But I don't know about Canada.

Now will be easier than if you try to do it later--the longer you wait, the more institutions you will have to notify of your name change.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    a friend changed his name in california, and it was a pretty perfunctory process. You have to go before a judge here, but basically almost any reason will do... "personal reasons", "religious reasons" are both valid and broad and won't raise questions, so maybe you could use one of those.

13. Eric

I also intend to change my last name, although I have different reasons for doing so. I heard about a guy who wanted to change his name to Peyton Manning because he lost a bet, and his request was rejected. That said, I'd imagine your reasons are quite valid. :slight_smile:

14. Flyers2011

I want to change my last name because my last name now is ridiculous to say and spell, it's ugly, it belongs to my dead-beat Dad, and I like my mom's last name better. It's a lot nicer.

I can change mine when I'm 18 (my dad could contest me changing it because I'm still a minor) so I can't see why you can't change yours. Go for it. Lol.