1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faith?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheJoker, Mar 7, 2011.

1. TheJoker

Q:
    1.Do you believe in good guys win at the end? or it's just a crap?
    2.Do you believe in everybody gets what they deserve? do you believe in karma or some kind of justice?
    3.When things are not so good in your life, do you believe these are part of a master plan?
    A:
    1.Nope,you can have golden heart but live a miserable life and die.Most of the time,evils win.They have advantages of being sneaky,manipulative,no codes of honor. Good guys only win in movies.
    2.No,usually the ones play dirty get everything.It is all about strong ones survive.No karma.the rich get richer,the poor get poorer.
    3.No,if things are bad..they are just bad.there is no holy thing in it.Life does not have a plan for you.

I think all the faith in good is just a defense mechanism to protect out sanity.What do you think?

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I think that you need some optimism in your life.

1. I dont know whether good or bad always wins. I think that people have to define "good"
    Is it being civil? selfless? or being hero?
    I feel like good is divine. Not because godly intervention, but because we make it divine.

2. Karma is always at play. We dont always understand it, but there is a balance that taking place this second, that we are maybe not suppose to understand.

3. I do. It helps me understand where I am at life. For others however, they dont have to believe in a greater plan, they can just believe that they can learn from the bad experiences in their life, and that some things are meant to be learned from.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    2. Certainly not karma. I think people that go against their own moral compass have a certain predilection toward eventually punishing themselves, in many cases... but then you look at people like sociopaths and psychopaths who lack such a compass and you see that there are no blacks or whites. Some people are fucked up, some people are saints, it's a combination of myriad other variables as well as sheer blind chance which determine the level of 'justice' served out in their respective lives.
    3. No, no plans, things as i see them are mostly random for all intents and purposes (at least random in the sense that they're far too complex and contain far too many intangible variables as well as actual randomness to model with any accuracy), the plan that most affects one's life is one's own.

/cold analysis

Interesting. I think that evolution certainly has a role in our perception of good and evil. Our instinct toward co-operation needs some drive or impetus, and if we didn't naturally believe that other people will take our acts of good faith and act in kind, we would have no natural motivation for co-operating on any level, we'd all be acting as completely isolated individuals, like any other solitary animal in nature does.

Our intellect is not the sole driving force behind our incredible success as a species. Along with the opposable thumb, the ability to live in a co-operative society has allowed our genius to flourish magnificently into the absurdly successful species we now are. That ability depends on a predominant trusting nature between most humans.

of course i say most because there are ALWAYS anomalies and outliers. Like Ted Bundy.

so i would guess that 'faith in good' as you put it perhaps forms the basis of that trusting nature.

#3 Pseudojim, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. Charme

Charme Guest

1. Not always. It's a very unrealistic and euphemistic point of view, in my opinion. Besides, who decides what is "good" and what is "bad"?
    2. I do not believe in karma. What you get is what you get because that is what happened. Who determines what we "deserve" to get? Besides, people who go out of their way to harm others usually end up harming themselves as well.
    3. No. The notion of a master plan is just something to comfort the insecure because they don't have control over what happens so they want someone/-thing else benevolent to be looking out for them.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Q:
    1.Do you believe in good guys win at the end? or it's just a crap? Not necessarily. I think what happens happens...
    2.Do you believe in everybody gets what they deserve? do you believe in karma or some kind of justice? Yea, somewhat. For example if you're an ass to everyone, then nobody will probably like you....
    3.When things are not so good in your life, do you believe these are part of a master plan? No, but they will help your life work out later by making you stronger.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joker, it's clear where you live must not be a nice place. For me, I've experienced constant karma not against me but working for me. Those that treated me like crap have gotten some form of payment back. When someone robbed me, they got jail for five years. Etc. Basically karma rocks. However as for question 1, to me I feel like I have a lot of experience and run for students councils quite often, I often have more experience than my other competitors, but because it's always elected, I wind up getting nothing because the other person has that little extra support because they're a little more popular than me, and then they wind up doing a horrible job. It just upsets me...

7. Rikudo

1.Do you believe in good guys win at the end? or it's just a crap? Yes ultimately somebody will come up to the plate and accomplish what others couldn't.
    2.Do you believe in everybody gets what they deserve? do you believe in karma or some kind of justice? No obiviously people get away with things and sometimes good people have bad things happen to them.
    3.When things are not so good in your life, do you believe these are part of a master plan? No I believe we all write our own "story" and while I do believe in some sort of higher being. I believe that being is so far ahead of us that it doesn't care about the ants it created.

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I sometimes beleive in karma.. but then again I don't, I seen a lot of good people who lives are shit.. And assholes who have the time of their life.

But it can depends how you view and take your situation, maybe you can turn it around.

9. Jonathan24

No, no and no.
    I think the universe is indifferent as saddening it may be to certain people. There is no cosmic importance to what you do at all. What you do is important to you and to people who surround you and that should be enough. There is nothing preventing bad things from happening, nor is there something which causes people to get what they deserve except for civil law maybe.

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Yes and no. Good guys may not win at first, and you may not always realize it or be around to see it, but I believe they do win in the end. Sometimes winning isn't always so obvious, and sometimes not so good people get things they may not seem to have earned – but I strongly believe it will all even out someday. And remember; even a small victory counts. Or just an opportunity to do something better may come along - I'd count that as a win too.

2. Again, yes. I believe everything happens because of something else. If you try to be good, work hard, and give back, then you'll at the very least get a good feeling out of it. Even happiness is a reward in itself, so if you're happy then you must have earned it through karma. I've seen loads of people who didn't use a chance wisely, didn't put forth the effort to better themselves or those around them, or something else along those lines, fall onto hard times or lose out on something. And I firmly believe it is all part of a big karmic web that operates something like the modern stock market - if good things go in, then (usually - current stock crises excluded) good things come back.

3. Yes. Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but I do. I think that even the hardest things we go through are there for a reason. We learn, we grow, and we realize that there are things, people, and situations out there that we may not have known existed. I am very firmly affixed to the theory that there has to be a reason for everything. And since we as human beings are clearly not capable of perfection (and I mean that in the most flattering way) there has to be someone or something at the helm to keep things on course.

11. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

No to all three. These are my beliefs:

1.Life is not fair
    2.No one is exempt from death.
    3.Physics rules the universe and Biology rules life.
    4.The universe does not care.
    5.The only constant in life is change.
    6.There is always a choice.
    7.Wishing never makes it so.
    8.A person can't exceed their limit
    9.A person is responsible for their own happiness.
    10.It is impossible to change the character of another.

#11 silvousplait, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  12. midwestblues

No to all three. It's not comforting, but it's reality.

13. Eleanor Rigby

It depends what you mean by win. I think that when you have done the right thing, it doesn't matter much if you're rewarded for it or not. What is important is that you know you've done the right thing.

I don't think it's about deserving reward or punishment for our actions. I think what matters is to do the right thing, for the sake that it is the right thing to do. Being rewarded for it or not doesn't change anything to this.
    I doubt there is some kind of immanent justice that would reward or punish ourselves for our actions, but I think that having our conscience clear or on the contrary being hauted with guilt and remorse is the reward we get for our actions.

Absolutly not. But it doesn't mean I can't put hopes in the fact I can make some good happening form the bad things in my life.

14. partietraumatic

2.Do you believe in everybody gets what they deserve? do you believe in karma or some kind of justice?
    3.When things are not so good in your life, do you believe these are part of a master plan?

1) Not neccessarily. Firstly it's often hard to pick a good guy and a bad guy. Someone you think of as the bad guy will possibly be seen as the good guy by others, and vice versa. Nonetheless i believe that people who stick to their morals and go about life the correct way will be rewarded in the long term. Possibly the 'bad guys' will win in the short term, but as time goes by their actions will catch up with them.

2)No I don't believe in karma. I believe in cause and effect. Everything that happens to you is the effect of an earlier choice made by you, or someone else. I suppose you could see that as a type of karma, as I believe what you do catches up with you later. But I don't think it's a supernatural thing, it's just a result of an action you took.

3) No I don't believe in any sort of master plan. Your life is a product of choices you make and actions you take. However I do believe things tend to eventually sort them selves out for the better.

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

In purely social situations where karma is just a name given to the phenomenon of people being mean to people who have been mean to them and nice to people who have been nice to them, yes, being good can help you win in the end, and there is some kind of justice. But beyond this eye-for-an-eye aspect of social interaction, no, I don't think the moral quality of your actions affects the general quality of your life.

Absolutely not. We live in an indifferent world ruled by pure chance and direct cause-and-effect, and anyone who believes otherwise is just deluding themselves to make their suffering more bearable (which I do not fault them for doing at all; living with and truly being at peace with that fact is fucking difficult). What I do believe is that it is in our power to choose to not focus on the negative aspects of whatever is happening to us and instead focus on what we can learn from the experience, which makes it easier to bear. It's not an easy thing to do, without a doubt, but it's better than wallowing in misery.

You're more right than you know.
    http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/07/the-just-world-fallacy/

16. Zontar

1. No. Good guys are passive. They don't take initiative. They don't know how to put themselves above others, they refuse to acknowledge that self-esteem is knowing you are better than others, and they are complacent in their mediocre status in life. I have respect for a man who takes risks, dares to try and transcend the ordinary. I have respect for men of power. I have respect for a man who understands you can't be pushed around by BS in life.

2. No. That would require some sort of intelligent cosmic power, of which I'm not terribly inclined to believe. Plus, what would this power think is right? What if he thinks being gay is wrong? Does that mean I'm gonna get shit on over and over again?

3. No. That's actually worse if you think about it. You're basically admitting that you're meant to, you're fated to be miserable while Smug McGillicutty is fated to get all the dick/pussy and money and power he wants. Does that sound fair? There isn't any meaning to what happens in the world. Some things are just purely random.

17. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.
    No.
    and
    No.

18. Elven

1. Define "good", good is different from everyones viewpoint, many people that you would call evil would call you evil. It's just a conflict of morals, ethics and opinions, not good and evil, no one is completly evil and neither are they perfect. Some people are just misguided or don't know enough. Winning is generally unrelated. Just try and follow what you personally feel and know but also keep an open mind.

2. Once again, right and wrong are different from person to person. But if someone "goes against the grain" or does something to anger people, bad things are far more likley to happen to them.

3. If I did something of my own free will, someone could easily claim that I was always destined to do it, but then again that means someone could do anything, or see anything and claim it is part of a master plan, perhaps as an attempt to validate something immoral. Master plan or not, the future is not yet history, so don't confuse them. Some people may find it comforting to think that if they have done something wrong or they are in a bad situation, they were guided there for some reason and things will get better.

It is history so they've got to come to terms with the fact that they can't do anything about it, though we can prove that the past can't be changed, the same can't be said about the future. If you are in a bad place things will almost definetly improve since they're unlikley to get worse. Just basicly, whether or not there is a master plan, think for the now, your desicions matter and the future (set or not) is guided by them.

On the whole "faith in good" being a defence mechanism to keep sanity, maybe for some faith in their morals is their support, but there are other things to have faith in, like yourself, humanity, earth, emotion, love, religion, truth, logic, what they can see, know, prove, etc. I'd say everyone has faith in something even if they don't actually realise it. Perhaps if someone is enlightened enough they wouldn't need to relly on such things.

#18 Elven, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  19. Mr.Pushover

Sometimes I feel like there is a thing of karma. I don't really believe in karma, but I don't believe in coincidence either.

20. TheJoker

For the people who ask how do you define good or bad..Congrats! That's the source of all this depression of being a human.I think..

1.Good and bad are defined by moral codes.
    2.Moral codes are defined by social social environment.
    3.Social environment is defined by our genetics.
    4.Genetics are defined by nature.
    5.In nature, only the ones adopt well can survive. Not the strongest,not the most lovable,not the most faithfull.
    6.To be adoptable you not have any moral codes,strict rules.
    7.People who don't have moral codes are defined as bad.

So..The ones without morals (bad people) survive while the ones with morals (good people) struggle.

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2011 at 06:14 PM ----------

I knew i'm right, thats my "curse" or "talent" I'd love to exchange it with anything else.