1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dying my hair?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Arex, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Arex

I've been wanting to get my hair dyed for a while now, though what colors and whatnot I don't know, I have a very round face, I've heard that brighter colors go with a rounder face, as for that I was thinking white bleached with azure streaks down the front. But with a round face, I don't know what colors to actually try. As well as the different types of dye, are there different kinds/strengths of dye for hair?

2. Dave

mostly the strength of colour depends on how long you leave it in and how light your hair is.... it's easier to work off of a light blonde/brown base than it is to try to dye over a darker colour. as for colour, it's all a matter of personal choice (my favourite is called Ultra Violet, a purpley-pink colour) just give it a go, or go to a hairdresser, they can help you if you are having trouble

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Lie!

Yes there are tons of different dyes. You should never leave dye in for more then 45 minutes at the most, and far less with bleach.
    There is a complete spectrum of color, from the H's to the N's and so on. Make sure you compare your color to the indicator and see what color it is going to turn out as, because you want it to be something you like.
    When developing an easy way to get even coverage is to take saran wrap and cover your head. That will cure the dye and allow it to work more evenly and consistent.
    If you are unsure of things, like what the letters and numbers and stuff then its probably wise to go to a salon.

4. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I've heard there are also natural hair dyes but you would need to have like really light hair though :/

5. Aya McCabre

If you want bright colours you need to bleach it first, then find a dye that doesn't have too many nasty chemicals in it (peroxide/ammonia are optional for semipermanent) and leave it in as long as you feel comfortable. Lots of people (me included) leave it in all day, or wrap it and sleep with it in. Then after you wash it out don't wash it again for as long as you can stand. And don't go to a hair dresser, it's not worth it. My blue lasted for months and when I had to hide it I couldn't even get it out with bleach. (I used the method I wrote above.) My friend got hers from a hair dresser, it cost her hundreds of dollars (mine cost me $40 all up) and it barely lasted a week.

As for choosing colours, it's all about personal preference. A lot of people buy black dye at the same time they buy a new colour so that they can go black if it's a disaster. If you only want streaks then you can probably find clip in extensions and try out colours that way. Food colouring also works as temporary colour on light hair (it stains, but not as bad as dye. Just don't use it on recently bleached hair - you'll never get it out).
    Also be aware of how a dye is likely to fade. Look up the dye and its reviews and photos (there are a couple of hair dye communities out there where you can ask questions) and make sure you're OK with how it will end up. If you hate the faded colour then either change the dye or make sure you always have spare dye to touch up with. Bright colours fade fast.

You'll be looking at semi permanent dyes for bright colours (if it claims to be permanent it probably isn't and it will likely not be nearly as bright as the semipermanent dyes). You'll need to touch it up often and be careful what types of products you use (baby shampoo and dandruff shampoo are particularly bad for stripping colour, but useful if you need to fade it for some reason).