1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when to talk to parents? + bizarre attraction to male gayness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

hey everyone, i'm new (as you can tell lol). i'm helena, from britain. i have been recently questioning my sexuality. i have talked to some of my friends about it, and also to my brother, but i am still not sure of anything.

i was wondering whether you think that if you are still unsure, you should come out to the people who it really matters (ie for me, my parents)? because i am still not sure whether i would identify as bi, lesbian, both, or something else. my parents are quite accepting, and certainly wouldn't throw me out or anything like that. but i am quite nervous of what my dad might say, because he has told me several times in jokes that he "knows i'm not gay", and i think it would be a shock for him. i'm also not sure whether they would believe me, or think it was just a phase or something. so should i wait until i have something really concrete to tell them?

and also, a separate issue about gay men. for quite a long time, even longer than i have been questioning my own sexuality, i have been attratced to the thought of gay men and gay male sex. i mean, it turns me on, and sometimes i have fantasies where i am a gay man. but overall i do not have trangender tendencies, and i am happy with my female-ness. i am not partiularly tomboy-ish either; i am quite a balance of masculinity and femininity i think. does this sound strange or abnormal to you? :icon_redf i have been slightly worrying about this.

anyway, thanks for reading this and see you all around:icon_bigg xxxxx helena

2. Bryan

Hi Welcome to EC!!

Well, I would say that if you are willing to wait in the closet until you figure out your sexuality, it may help you in the over all coming out process. However, if you are ready, and really want to, it may be easier to come out as bi, but in the end that one is up to you.
    Now you are attracted to gay guys. (Cant blame you, it is pretty hot, Jkjk) But seirously, that isnt wierd, do you knwo how many straight guys get turned on by lesbians. I wouldnt worry about it. Anyway, welcome to EC again,
    Bryan

3. SpikySpice

Well, i know how you feel about your parents, lots of people been through teh same situation like you, but in the end they reallize" I can't live the lie anymore" and they did their best to show the truth

WEll, maybe you are not sure yet, taht can be soemthing that dosnet make you feel like coming out, since you are still confused about your sexuality, when you do, you'll have a little boost

If you are scared to come out, you dont have to, especially if you feel uneasy for your dad. To encourage you, I just wanna say, it's you who is bi/lesbian, and it is the fact, and the thruth, and you are rppoud of who you are, you get support from those who you already came out to to give you some strength, your dad will, and maybe really shocked, but he'll get through it by time, so come out when you're ready 100% k :slight_smile:

There are soem strangeness in this world, people, some, cant believe about what they are thinking, it's normal that you think about gay men sex, that happens to me when i think about lesbian sex too and it turns me on, so yeha, it's not weird at all

4. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

My advice would be to not come out until you are entirely sure what you are. Remember there is no rush to coming out. Good luck!

5. BlasttheCloset

I saw that, and it was so similar to my situation, it could have been something I had written myself, Areneithel. I personally want to tell two of my very close friends who are very non-homophobic, but I am not sure about my parents' reactions, which is exactly what you said in your post.

6. Louise

If you are pretty sure that your parents won't thow you out and will be quite understanding you could mention simply that you are questioning your sexuality, that you don't know for sure and that being open with them about it is important and necessary for you.

This may also help you come to terms one way or another with your sexuality. The fact of being able to talk to your parents will be one less worry in your head and leave it clear for the real issues.

As for being turned on by gay sex, I don't think this is anything to be worried about, I find it completely normal . I think we all have had fantasies which are very exciting in our minds but nothing on earth would make us carry them out. There is a huge difference between the imagination and the reality. Several situations which would frighten the life out of me in real life I find extremely exciting in my mind. I sometimes picture erotic exciting scenarios in my mind but were I to see them in reality I would be horrified and traumatized for life.

There are no limits to your imagination and no consequences either (a jealous or hurt partner because you have imagined yourself in a threesome for example). You can let your imagination run wild and just sit back and enjoy!

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

thanks everyone. about the gay men thing, i just find it particularly strange because i'm not sure how much i'm attracted to heterosexual sex, and it just seems sort of illogical to like boy/boy or girl/girl but not boy/girl :confused: it also kinda confuses the whole issue of whether i think i'm lesbian/bi or whatever. frankly the only thing i feel i can rule out is straight, but other than that, i have no idea lol

8. Louise

I don't really know, because I am straight, but I don't thing homosexuality is only about sex, I think it is more about who you feel attracted to on an emotional and intellectual level, of course sex is a factor but it is not the only one to be taken into consideration.

There is no logic in what excites us or not. Is it logical that you like strawberries and not raspberries (just an example)? It is not because certain sexual images excite you or not that you can decide on your sexual oriantation.
    Who are you attracted to?
    Who do you feel most comfortable with?
    Who's company do you seek out without even thinking about it?
    I think the answers to these sorts of question will help you determine your sexuality more than which erotic images excite you.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the gay sex thing just accept that you like watching it and enjoy. :icon_bigg

9. Psychedelic Bookmarks

yeah, of course. i'll just have to see how it goes. it's just hard when there are so many factors :icon_bigg never mind, that makes it more fun, right?:lol:

10. Jeimuzu

A lot of gay men are attracted to straight men. Maybe it's something to do with wanting what we can't have, or something.

I've never quite gotten that kink, but meh.

I wouldn't come out yet. It'd be awkward if you thought you were, and then began to realise that you weren't, and had to reverse-come-out. And of course, nobody would believe you when you said "No, I'm straight now! Honest!" So you'd get labelled a lesbian forever more.

Anyways, hiya! Whereabouts in Britain are you from? I'm from Middlesbrough (well, near enough as makes no difference).

There's actually an oddly large British population here, considering it's technically canadian, I think.