1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgyny

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Frer3, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Frer3

I've been wanting to experiment with androgyny for some time now, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to even dressing myself normally. I have no doubt that some of you will know a thing or two about androgynous dressing, and would be more than willing to share some tips. Any advice?

2. musican

Umm, why are you trying to dress a certain way? Just freaking dress the way you want to... I don't get it. Wear what you're comfortable in and what you think looks good on you. Why would you want to do anything else?

3. Frer3

Because the way I dress now is rather uninspiring. It doesn't fit me as a person. I need to find something else. And, as I said, I've been tossing around the idea of experimenting with androgyny. Also, as of date, I have not found a personal style that "looks good on me."

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my advice:.... PLEASE do! i LOVE androgyny. I'm doing a photoshoot in 2 days where i'm going to try to do a reverse julie andrews (man playing a woman playing a man), not sure how it will turn out (i don't think i can pull it off) but it's going to be so much fun!

5. Frer3

I want to begin doing this soon! I just have no idea where to start! Any ideas or advice that you have will be greatly appreciated!

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll let you know after the shoot. at the moment, i wouldn't have a clue! I'm not into being andro myself to be honest, i just love it in everyone else.

7. Beachboi92

androgyny isn't something that everyone can pull off. The main question is do you actually have a level of androgyny in your appearance? For example i am often told i am sort of androgynous looking by friends and have been confused for a girl on a number of occasions xD One of my lesbian friends actually thought i was a cute girl when she first saw me haha.

If you are then you can play up your androgynous features. Things i do if i want to this are make-up and form fitting clothing. I also have long hair (think lesbians that look like justin bieber) and when i am being more androgynous i carry myself more femininely. I tend to do this more when i go to a gay club or something as i find it fun and generally i feel comfortable acting in that way but i will often times switch back to my masculine throughout the night as i feel comfortable doing so. I also style my hair, choose colors like pink and purple to wear, V-necks, form fitting cloths. Of course i apparently also have the benefit of having an androgynous voice xD

I think of it as sort of dressing in clothes i could see an androgynous girl dress in. Just take what feminine and masculine things you like and roll them all together. But like i said being androgynous doesn't work for everyone, you have to find what parts of it fit best with you. Styles like the emo kid/scene kid looks take a page out of the androgyny book and so do metro styles. The real defining thing that separates those styles from actual androgyny in a person is wether the person themselves has a level of androgyny in their appearance.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, i could never pull it off full time. I'm too damn tall for it, no one would believe a 6'3" woman. And then imagine the heels.... !

9. Beachboi92

well androgyny doesn't necessarily mean going to heels and looking like a girl. It is gender neutral so you can go both ways. It is very dependent on the person, different people have to do different things to achieve it if they can. A guy in a dress and heels could look just like a guy in a dress and heels or like an androgynous person in a dress and heels. Androgyny is much more in the actually physical appearance of a person than their clothing. Without a level of natural androgyny you will look like either a man or a woman.

I'd seen drag queens in full drag look more like a man than i ever will and i've seen girls in mens cloths that still just look like girls. Yet you can put me in either and people will do a double take or more because they can't tell at least at first glance xD

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha, yeah i know, poor attempt at humour =P

11. Frer3

I'll put up some regular pictures of me from my facebook. You might be able to tell me if I have any hope...

12. Frer3

Okay. I have some semi-recent pictures in my album nao. Any input as to whether androgyny is viable???

13. Beachboi92

you could dress in more gender neutral or metro clothing and look semi-andro but i don't know if you are necessarily androgynous in appearance.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I reckon you're way pretty.

and you'd look great with short hair, jeans, a flannelette shirt and big nasty boots!

15. Frer3

It's been FOREVER since my hair's been short! And, the director of the play I'm in has temporarily forbidden me to cut my hair.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm not allowed to cut mine either at the mo =(

17. Frer3

So yeah. I'm really at a loss of what to do when it comes to my hair, my clothes and everything. If I had some outfit ideas I would at least have something to work off of...

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you could try something small first... like a black leather jacket?

19. Frer3

Already have one of those. Wear it every day. It's already broken in, so it's really soft.