1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking back do any of you see that there were 'signs' that you were gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foxywolf, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

Looking back do any of you see that there were 'signs' that you were gay, but you just ignored it?
    I find that is true for me and I actually find it kind of amusing, because I must have been rather dense to not notice before.
    One 'sign' that I was a lesbian was when I was playing the Sims 2:
    There were actually many incidents that could have directed me to the knowledge that I was gay through the Sims, but this I remember in particular.
    Well in the Sims 2 you know you can make girls marry girls and boys marry boys? Well I decided to play this household that had three girls and one boy. I had always wanted to have a vampire in my game so I made my favorite character (a girl alien) go out to clubs to look for a vampire. Well eventually she found a vampire at a club and it was a girl vampire. You know how you had to get the vampire to love you to get it to bite you. Well I had no problem doing that. I got them to fall in love with each other and actually enjoyed making them fall in love much more than when I made girls fall in love with boys. Well anyway after my sim got bitten I got her to ask the other one to move in. I made them both bite the necks of everyone in the house (by influencing them to rather then making them fall in love with everyone), but then made everyone else in the house move out, so these two could be alone together. I then got them to be married to each other and even had them adopt a child.
    Once time my sister caught me playing with this lesbian couple and asked me about them, I told her they were married and she said, "Eww that's weird." (she was young then so her views have changed since). Anyway I played this couple all the time and they became my favorite family to play haha.
    But it's just funny looking on things like this and thinking "why didn't I even question it?"

Anyone else have anything like this?

2. haelmarie

I think there's a temptation to go back into our childhood, scrape for bits and pieces and then present them as evidence that there was some cosmic, unchanging homosexuality that lies dormant within us all;

Sure, you're going to find evidence of some kind of sexual deviation, but I'm skeptical of the bias.

On a more pertinent thread, I had a crush on my camp counselor when I was ten or so. I went into a one day crisis and eventually convinced myself I wasn't gay because I thought gays were some kind of strange, alien caste.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was younger...
    I watched Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Powerpuff Girls, etc. But also while watching regular "boy" cartoons.
    My favorite Power Ranger was the Pink one.
    I played with Barbies for a while.
    90% of my friends were girls.
    I used to put a blanket on my head and pretend it was long hair and that I was a girl.
    I used to be obsessed with Hillary Duff. Why? Looking back, I have no idea. It sure wasn't because I liked her body, though.

More Recently...
    When I played Fable for the first time I married a woman and a man. I had more fun with the man.
    I've had a raging love of Glee since it first came on.
    When I played Avalon Code, I wished I had picked the girl character so I could date the guy characters.

Looking back, I wonder why I even have to come out.

4. Giorria

Giorria Guest

I was incredibly clingy to my best friend from when I was around 9/10 years old, and continued to be so for roughly another 3 years. It was an unhealthy obsession and it only broke because my parents moved me to our current city at 13.

5. AtmaWeapon

I had a female crush here and there...possibly as early as pre-school...one in kindergarten, so when I was 4 or 5.

I had some dreams that were romantic in nature, I guess. When I was really, really young, I dreamt I was a prince (lol) who saved a girl/princess/damsel in distress and kissed her. Had a dream many years later that I was on a date with a girl, holding her hand, but that one kind of freaked me out. Heh.

I saw signs in how I reacted towards f/f fanfiction I would happen to read without knowing it was going to go there. Nearly crushing on a character in a work of fiction who disguised herself as a boy to get into an all boy's school and having someone's sister want to date her...yeah...I was kinda disappointed when the girl finds the truth out and her feelings totally change to something platonic.

What else? Dunno, I always had male role models that I could relate to...few to no females. I liked combat boots, lol! Stereotypes galore...I dunno, I naturally fit a lot of the stereotypes of the 'tomboy' or what have you nature.

I loved pro-wrestling in elementary school and middle school...so did this one girl who later came out as a lesbian...dunno. I liked G.I Joe as a kid, ninja turtles, video games...I liked the things boys typically liked...I would be one of the few girls to play certain online games or games period...never fit in or identified with most girls. Wanted to dress in boy clothes...People swearing I was male, at least through the net, and accusing me of pretending to be a girl or being transexual...though that's more about gender than orientation which are not always indicative of each other.

I also felt most at home and admired most people who I would come to find were gay/lesbian.

But I never suspected I was gay or anything. It took falling in love with a girl and some years after that to admit it. When I did, the earliest signs suddenly clicked along with everything I mentioned. It would make sense if we are to assume orientation is something that, while fluid, is more or less established at an early age while allowing for fluidity, I guess, for a lot of people...that sorta sounds contradictory.

#5 AtmaWeapon, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. Zontar

I used to get erections when looking at hot guys.

7. MusicIsLife

Not really for me. In elementary school I had 2 crushes: One on my grade three french teacher, and one on sailor jupiter. Though at the time I just liked them a lot. If you wanna look at total stereotypes, I was "tough" i broke my arm and didnt cry, broke my coccyx(spelling?) without realising it, things like that. I chased boys, I got yelled at by my mom for sliding on ice in a frilly, fancy dress and coat in winter with the boys, i got in fights that left me bleeding but never in trouble...but I was also very feminine so no one started to suspect me til i was like 14.

8. Courtneyyy

When my mom gave me the sex talk circa age 5 I told her "i don't think i'll be doing sex"

9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My parents have a very hands-off approach to parenting and I love them for it. I'm so thankful for that, seriously. Literally, whatever I wanted came to fruition. Looking back, I really can't believe that I had to come out, and that my parents actually let me get away with some of this crap.

When I was five I used to kiss my male best friend on the lips, tongue and open mouth. It was puppy love. My parents told me that we used to run around the house totally naked and stuff all the time too, but I don't remember that. It seems a little disturbing to me that my mother didn't think that this was at all unusual or anything. Like, HELLO?!

I have a cousin that is the same age as I am, and we used to be really close. Whenever I would spend any time at her house I would put on some of her dresses. Again, no one in my family even looked twice at it. I distinctly remember sitting at the dining room table eating spaghetti with my grandparents, my aunt and uncle, and my parents while I wore a yellow Sunday dress and pantyhose. :rolle:

Another memory I have is actually really startling even for me, I was sexually aware at a really young age. I seriously think I might have been 9 years old or even younger than that. I was jumping on a trampoline with a neighborhood boy and somehow his shorts fell down and he wasn't wearing any underwear. I remember laying on the trampoline with him, and I think that might have been my first erection. I feel like something witty should follow that, but I just can't think of anything right now. Feel free to insert your own.

10. rainbowsprite6

In junior high, I wasn't interested in boys, so when once asked me out I said "ewww, no." I was subsequently called 'lesbo' by the entire school. I had no idea what that was so I asked my mom.
    My mom, not being so great with the sex-ed, turned on Jerry Springer (a sure bet for lesbian action) and told me "Those are lesbians, honey". My response. "Awesome, the kids at school think I'm a hot girl who knows how to hit."

11. Zontar

Sounds like the trampoline isn't all you wanted to bounce on.

I'm so sorry.

12. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    the fact that some people (not very kindly) asked me if i was gay should have been a sign....

13. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I approve this message. :thumbsup:

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I looked at boys and got an odd growth in my pants

15. hert3583

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always remember as a kid, even when I was young, like 7 or 8, when watching t.v. the manifestation of thinking men looked good being that I kind of wanted to be them, if that makes sense?? Then, as I got older, those thoughts kind of...grew up as well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Also, I found myself, before I really admitted to myself I was gay, rather than just being attracted to girls, almost consciously deciding which girl to like, like it was methodical or logical rather than emotional. Which of course it was, my way of saying I was straight to myself.

16. Lotty

When we watched TV, my mother and sister would talk about the cute guys we saw. My father talked about the cute girls. Sometimes I'd agree with my mother and sister, but mostly I agreed with my dad, didn't say it though.
    And looking back, the only reason that I listened to Ilse DeLange's music, is because I thought she was hot. That music is crap. She's cute.

17. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    My first bestfriends were boys. While my girl cousins would go shopping with my grandma, I would go with the boys and my grandpa. Total tomboy, but still pretty feminine in the way I look. And I probably should have taken myself more seriously when I came home crying from elementary school saying I thought I was gay. Lol

18. IanGallagher

Basically falling for guys at the same time I was falling for girls. I used to wonder if that was "normal." But, I should have known something was up when all straight guys and gay guys went in their own singular direction and I was left standing questioning, "you have to choose?" Which was probably the biggest indicator, thinking it was more of a choice than natural.

19. Bolin

It first really REALLY hit me in middle school when we had to "dress out" for P.E. Seeing all of those half-naked hot boys nearly made me die from hyperventilation. Of course, there were signs before (i.e. collecting the muscular wrestling action figures, but making them do....something else...other than fight..., my strange desire to hold hands with my childhood friend when I was in elementary school, that "How to Safely Practice Basic Karate" book I checked out in elementary school and never gave back because of the two hot guys demonstrating (*clears throat* I still have that book to this very day!!!)).

20. GhostDog

I'm pretty sure I saw this sometime in middle school.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8AI_qWHf9M[/YOUTUBE]

For some reason it still took me until I was in college to realize it, even though it came from Spidey himself!