1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of the most macho, straightest guys I know is gonna be reading a gay teen novel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 4, 2011.

1. MusicIsLife

Perhaps I should explain.

I work at a bookstore and we do this...thing once a month called the Book Hookup. All those who want to participate have their names drawn in pairs at random and then we pick a book for our partner to read. It's a way to increase product knowledge and have people read something they wouldnt normally read.

Last time I got one of the managers, he made me read Slaughterhouse Five, and I made his read Deathnote.

At the end of that "round" I decided that if I get a girl next time I;d give her one of my favourite lesbian novels, and if I got a guy, one of my favourite gay novels.

I found out today that I got a guy, who's pretty macho, but no one there is closed minded. everyone knows im gay, and no one cares at all. I picked Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez for him to read. I felt bad for him before he even left the store.

He was teased by a bunch of the girls who work in the children's department, telling him that it's super graphic and full of gay sex. I felt sooo bad! :icon_sad: so much for open-mindedness.

I stopped him before he left the store, and I told him that i didnt give it to him cause I "suspected" or because I wanted to make him uncomfortable and I swore that there was NOTHING really graphic in the book. I feel kinda bad in hindsight, but I do hope that he learns something from it :slight_smile:

Thats my story, i just wanted to share :slight_smile: I don't know what he's making me read yet but hes really into political science, so I'm expecting some very boring nonfiction book XD

2. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Re: One of the most macho, straightest guys I know is gonna be reading a gay teen nov

I don't know if you're looking for someone to tell you what you did was okay or wrong or somewhere in between, I am not that person.

I'm just really interested to see how it turns out, since I imagine his world will be turned upside down.

Payback is a...pain...though.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Re: One of the most macho, straightest guys I know is gonna be reading a gay teen nov

Oh my gosh, I wish I worked at a bookstore. You're lucky. I think that sounds like so much fun. I would be all about it, legitimately.

I haven't read Rainbow Boys but I heard it's good. Maybe you should have given him something else though? The Vast Fields of Ordinary and What They Always Tell us are very good and less "in-your-face" gay, not that there's anything wrong with that...

I'm so curious to know how he reacts to it though.

4. adam88

Wow, your bookstore has an LGBT section?!?

Good luck finding queer topics in most bookstores I go into... (I'm looking at you, Indigo. :frowning2:)

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah to the Indigo. Chapters for me barely has anything but the Rainbow series and maybe one or two other novels. As for what you did, I frankly don't think you did anything wrong, however I don't think you needed to say "cause I 'suspected'" because no offense but it almost was saying "I suspected". But I think it's good you gave him the book because it might just open his eyes that jocks can be gay too or w/e. lol. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

6. MusicIsLife

Theres no actual LGBT/Queer section for fiction, but i do bug the managers to order lgbt novels, mostly so that I and can read them >.> but our gay and lesbian studies section is slowly getting bigger :grin:

7. Beachboi92

nothing wrong with what you did if anything someone should tell those girls to stop being dumb bitches and get off his back...