1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sorry but im finding this place to be lame

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by felicia wilde, Apr 5, 2011.

1. felicia wilde

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i have tried to talk to ppl and make friends and that and noone seems to have time or even want to chat i would think that is purpose of this web cite but guess i was istaken sorta seems to be snobby ppl here

2. starfish

Well I can't speak for others, but I usually interact with others through the various forums. I've never done much with the blogs and friends features of the site.

3. Sorry to hear it's not going well, here's my advice from when I was new around EC:

The more you post, the more you talk, the more people notice you. Also if you're reading other people's posts and think they are interesting you can write on their wall and pretty much everyone responds to that. I doubt you'll find it to be as lame as you say if you take that bit of advice.

And no offense, but calling everyone on the site snobby right of that bat is pretty harsh. We all came here to be welcomed and accepted just like you.

Post on more threads and on people's walls, I guarantee your experience here at EC will change for the better. I hope it does, it's a good place.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried writing on other members' walls and introduced yourself? Try to strike up a conversation with others. :slight_smile:

Participate on the forum, and you will find that other members will start talking to you. If you want you can respond to threads in the Support and Advice sections or you can participate in the different games. Have a look. :slight_smile:

If you have any questions about Empty Closets, and how it works, you can create a thread in Ask The Staff or in the Help and Feedback section.

Hope this helps!

5. AtmaWeapon

I'd give it some time. That's what I'm doing...getting used to the forum. Easing my way in. It's the best and most active LGBT forum I've found and everyone seems really awesome. Maybe you're rushing it. I'd stick around and try different sites at the same time for something more instantaneous. Sometimes the best experiences require a slower process, I think, where it's more than chatting each other up from the get go and y'know.

6. Tiny Catastrophe

I haven't found anyone here to be snobby. You just have to post more and try talking to people and introducing yourself. I make time to talk to anyone who wants to talk

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After posting six times? (And one of them was this thread, so five, I guess.)

All of us in the "inner circle" (and I don't even know if I AM in the inner circle) were on the outside when we joined. I didn't search the archives, but I'm betting nobody said "Gee, I hope a 40-year-old cartoon-loving, lacrosse-obsessed gargoyle who likes dispensing advice joins this website" before I joined. If I'm considered a part of EC now, it has everything to do with that largish number after the word "Posts" to the left there. I posted a lot, participated a lot, chatted a lot, empathized a lot. And eventually I was part of the gang. And I think that's true of everybody on the "inside".

Lex

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_booh

9. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I think I've seen 'snobby' before on a post with someone complaining about this stie and I don't get it, everyone here has always been lovely to me (&&&)

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry you've had that experience. One thing that's a little different about EC compared to Myspace or even to other online communities is that the conversations here tend to be a little more substantive. So the two-word wall messages saying "what's up" and such are less likely to get much interest or response here.

I took a look at your profile and it doesn't look like you've made many wall postings to other members' walls. That's a great way to start conversations and get to know people. Another is, as Lex said, to post in response to other people's postings, or to comment on walls to postings people have made.

A lot of people on EC are fairly busy and may only check it once a day, but there are also people who spend hours each day here, and it's unlikely that most of them wouldn't want to chat, unless somehow you're coming off bitchy or entitled in your initial contact.

Finally, having been here a couple years, there are very, very few people I've observed here who I'd consider snobby. But I do think that if you enter the community with the preconceived mindset that people will be that way, you are more likely to interpret ambiguous responses as being snobby. So perhaps if you open up your mind to the idea that this is a community of friendly and open people... you might have a different experience here :slight_smile:

11. pauliie

pauliie Guest

you got to be more social... dont be scared... you wont meet 98% of the people on EC for realz you know what Im saying=)

12. Giorria

Giorria Guest

I don't personally find anybody here to be snobby as far as I have seen. I think you need to push yourself more and be just that bit more social (hell, I need to do that too), and then you should see things changing. You aren't going to just gel with people instantly no matter where you go, it takes time as people like to see your character more. Don't go writing people off because of the short amount of time that you have been here.

People have been nice to me, and I'm sure the same would happen to you if you give it some more time.

As for the site being lame, I don't think it is. There are plenty of sites out there for LGBT people that are very unfriendly and require you to be 'snobby' or 'nasty' in some way to fit in with the 'in crowds' there....

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Try posting around more. It says you have 9 posts (5 of them being threads you've started). Also, your "about" section on your profile doesn't really say much about you.

I suggest after 50 posts (I think that's how many you need), you apply for full membership. That way, you can go in the chat room and talk to people.