1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you "Chit Chat" When your "The Conversation Of Death"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tym Misery, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

I mean, No matter the conversation I have with someone. It ends up dying quickly >.<"
    :help:

:thewave:

2. Totoro

Talk about your day, talk about the weather(Oh look it's really nice outside), talk about things you have in common with this person (e.g. do you like video games? any specifics that you share with this person?) Or if you simply don't know them, try to get to know this person. Play questions and ask each other questions until you're both familiar with each other to some extent :slight_smile:
    If you're even willing, ask hypothetical questions (what if... I did this...). Talk about the most recent episode of your favorite TV show, talk about quirky events that have happened to you, fun facts about yourself... The list goes on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I find that conversations only tend to die out when the other person doesn't make an effort to talk back e_e

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh shoot, this topic died :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm just kidding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

:thumbsup: Nice ^_^

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

When your talking smile, talk with more enthusiasm.. like haah hahaha eheheh!!!!!!!! ok maybe not xD

6. stageone

Lol. Find common ground you are both interested in and passionate about. I also find it hard to chit-chat. Feels like a waste of breath to try & talk about nothing with people I don't know or care about...

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If worst comes to worst, plant a kiss, that always give things to talk about :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

:jawdrop: yea, since I was actually thinking of someone I'm crushing on when I asked this... I think not XD

9. Enaithor

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Find your common ground.
    2. Ask questions based on your common ground.

I've only been to New York a couple times. Which area is the "thoughtlessly dull" one? :slight_smile:

Lex

11. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lex got to it befor I did.

13. pauliie

pauliie Guest

ahhhhhhhhh... many people have the same problem... try not to choose a topic... speak whats on your mind... it works for me=)

14. GhostDog

Not to be creepy here, but, it also really helps to listen to others' conversations and pick up the patterns. I mean, hell, it's pretty much how we learn to socialize when we're wee, and paying conscious attention to it can help you pick up what regular folks talk about.

Humans are social, learning creatures, and if you're having trouble with the social aspect of interaction, then do some learning! Pay attention to what other people do and say. Eventually, you build a picture of what most people chat about. Talking about stuff like the weather or X current local event may seem inane and pointless, but it's social bonding. It's a little safer to test the waters with strangers than, say, "SO HOW ABOUT THEM THERE ABORTION RESTRICTIONS, EH?"

Noticing things about the other person and asking about it helps too. I met my current roommate because she noticed my Amanda Palmer t-shirt. =P "OH MY GOD, YOU LIKE _____?!" is a pretty good conversation starter, haha. People usually like it when others ask about their opinions on things. "Me" and "what I think" are very easy topics to talk about! =P

And, hell, sometimes conversations just die. Sometimes you've said all you can say! Move on to something else and exhaust that next. If a video game you're done talking about reminds you of this weird thing that happened to you at the zoo, share it! Said all you can say about the weather, but you read this article about how weather patterns are affecting some animal or other? Tangential train-of-thought crap like that's kept many a conversation of mine going, anyway. =P

Plus, not every silence is an awkward silence. Sometimes it's nice to just be in a place with your people.

15. orviceversa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bear in mind, the silence doesn't always need to be filled to enjoy someone else's company.