1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good tattoo?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gothitil, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I am trying to design my tattoo, and I want it to be simple and easy to interpret.

Here is a design I just came up with:
    [​IMG]

The pink triangle is the symbol homosexuals wore in the holocaust. The circle symbolizes Earth, and the equal sign is obvious.

Your opinion? Suggestions?

2. MusicIsLife

I'm not a fan, but in general I'm not a fan of any tattoos that portray religion or sexual orientation. For 2 reasons:

1.) In my opinion, Sexuality is fluid, and i feel that with the right person it can and will alter and change. I've been with guys and girls, ive had a genuine crush on a guy but I call myself a lesbian because my main preference is female, and ive only ever liked one guy in my whole entire life. But who's to say I wont meet a guy one day down the road? You never know.

2.) Let's say you wanna go on vacation in (for example's sake...) small town texas or Jamaica. They're really homophobic there for the most part, so if they realise what it means you'd be putting yourself at risk.

Same thing for religion. But that might be because I'm a Witch and paranoid of being harassed for it.

I hate being negative, but thats my opinion. (and I do love tattoos, I have four with plans for more, but religion and sexuality are two of the things I say to stay away from)

3. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

1) What does that have to do with my tattoo? :confused:
    2) I would never go to those places in the first place to be honest, and if I did, it's not like I am putting it some place like my forehead. It'll be on my leg.

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She meant that one day you might find yourself a bit more bi than you presumed and may then regret a tattoo of a common homosexual symbol.

5. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Even if I find myself as bisexual, I will still be passionate for equality.

I know straight people who are just as passionate for LGBT rights as me, this tattoo isn't labeling myself as gay, it's a statement for equal rights for the LGBT community and an homage to all those who did die and are dying because of their government's tyranny and ignorance.

It's also a statement of pride of being part of a community when other people want to destroy us.

6. Rikudo

Mmm not a fan of the design but it's ultimately up to you. If this is your first tattoo I suggest that you really think about this.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the design. My only critique is that the two lines touch the edges of the circle. So on first (and second) glance, I don't see an equal sign. I see a croquet ball.

[​IMG]

Instead, maybe pull the lines in? So it looks more like an equal sign? (Just a quick sketch I did.)

[​IMG]

Lex

Attached Files:

• sym.jpg
      sym.jpg
      File size:
      9.2 KB
      Views:
  8. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Its defiantly unique. I like it, its just not for me. If thats what you are set on then I think that you should defiantly get it. I do like what Lex was saying (as always) the circle with the equal sign symbolizes almost the same thing, and if you are not satisfied with it later then you could always have the pink triangle put in as well.

9. Meropspusillus

I think a good rule regarding marking your body permanently is that if you have to ask other people whether or not it's a good idea, it probably isn't.

10. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Excuse me for taking into account the fact that I am not the only one who is going to see it. Personally, I don't see the point in just posting criticism without any words of advice. :/ It's rather rude to be honest.

It's starting to look like the pink power ranger to me. I need to come up with a new design D:

11. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not convincd. It doesn't look easy to interpret; if you hadn't told us I would not have seen the equal sign, the earth, or the fact that the triangle is meant to be a gay symbol.

12. Beachboi92

to be honest he is right. If you are not absolutely in love with your tattoo idea don't get it. It has to be something that no one else could convince you not to get. That way you will always like it.

13. Meropspusillus

Exactly. It doesn't matter whether or not I like your tattoo, frankly. You have to like, you have to like it so much that we'd have to try really hard to convince you not to get it.

Here's my opinion: the design is elegant, and nice. I don't like it as a tattoo. That being said, my opinion doesn't really matter. I just think a tattoo should be something you think about for at least a year, and during that entire year, you have to never think it's a bad idea.

Sorry for seeming rude, it wasn't my intention.

14. Aya McCabre

Don't worry about other people being able to interpret it..... if they actually care about the symbolism they'll ask, but most people won't look past it as a pretty picture.
    If you like it, go for it. If you're not sure, wait until you are sure.

15. kettlkorn

As long as it means something important to you, don't worry about what other people think. I think asking if it is a good idea is just a little bit of nervousness, that's all. The only concern you should have is with size. The tattoo artist can tell you how big it needs to be so the colors and lines don't blur together.

16. Aya McCabre

I think a lot of the people replying to this should consider that people asking for opinions on tattoos isn't always what it looks like. I ask for opinions on mine because I'm too close to the design process. It's been in my head for so long and I've been working on it for so long.... other people might see something I don't, or they might not see what I see. I have a diy tattoo of a greek letter (Φ) that gets mistaken for a yin-yang. I'm OK with that but some things could easily be mistaken for things you don't want to be associated with. It's also a good way to pick up spelling mistakes.
    So yeah, asking for opinions doesn't necessarily mean you're unsure about it, it might just mean you want an outside opinion.