1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ToTheCeilingFan, Apr 9, 2011.

1. ToTheCeilingFan

It's next Friday. Are you going to be silent? Does your school or workplace support day of silence?
    (My apologies if there's another thread like this, I did a search and didn't turn up anything.)

2. RaRa

Hmm..Maybe ill do it. Everytime someone aaks what im doing..ill just use my Rebecca blacks soundbard saying: "we we we so excited" For equality! Fuck yeah!

3. Wolfy

I had my teacher order me a wrist band. So, yup.

4. roborama

definitly doing it, its a pretty big thing at our school.. making posters as we speak and crying my eyes out...

5. Flyers2011

I doubt anyone knows what that is at my high school lol. Well, maybe a couple. We would never celebrate it though. Too small and backwoodsy. I can't really celebrate it because I have to talk in most of my classes.

But I'll do something to commemorate it, what I don't know, but I'll figure it out.

6. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I live in Ohio too, and many people know about it at our school and support it.

There's also a teacher who last year handed out packets on why homosexuality is a sin. Maybe this year he will give me one and I will be able to curse him out. :grin:

Cursing out for equality. (!)

7. Flyers2011

My school's pretty small and filled with farmer's kids. You say "Matthew Shepard" and they say "Who?"

I would definitely cuss him out. . . But try not to get expelled lol. No one would want that.

8. TheDarkerPoet

My school's GSA is holding a Day Of Silence in which those who want to participate sign up and are given a small symbol so that teachers and students know we are going to be silent for a full that day. It will be my first time doing this. Wondering how it'll go for me, seeing as I am pretty much out in the open at my school.

9. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our SADD did something like this for drunk driving awareness two years ago (We had our faces painted like skeletons, had our death story taped to our shirts, and had to keep quiet), but the program has died out since. It seems like they would be the ones at my school to organize something like the symbols that people wear. Since we don't have one, there is a Facebook event that was sent out by one of my friends about this. A few people are doing it (some REALLY unexpected) but I'm not sure I could do it... I have stuff I have to talk in, as much as I would like to.

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'll be doing it. My university's GLBT club is actually having a concert the night before (called the "Night of Noise") to raise awareness (and money for the Mathew Shepard Foundation), and local bands are going to be playing. Should be a good time.

11. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wont be doing it. Never done it and don't plan on it.

12. theJosephDean

Ugh, I love participating in the Day of Silence, but I won't be able to this Friday. I have like two meetings, and a club dinner/picnic/meeting-thing to go to. As Vice President, I have to be able to speak >_<

13. There's a "Break the Silence" march in Madison that day. We meet up in silence and then "break" it by marching to the capitol building and being super awesome. If anyone is in Wisconsin, you should come! Everyone is meeting at the university!