1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking the mould

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chaos, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Chaos

I'm sick of people assuming gay people look the same. That gay people fit some sort of bill (i.e. pink clothes, really skinny, et cetra). People don't supsect me as a homosexual because I'm not an ordinary guy and I don't fit the stereotype of a homosexual.

What kind of style do you have? Basically, I'm asking you what do you look like? What are your personal interests? I like to compare and get my point across; that being gay doesn't have anything to do with appearance or personal interests and hobbies. It can even go beyond appearance and into music tastes and more (my sister thinks that techno music is homosexual). If you could tell such things from appearance or interests I think that would make life boring.... Nothing comes in one form. I'm really sick and tired of how sheltered people are.

My personal interests include womens wrestling, horror movies, sci-fi, television, comedy, writing, and eating junk food. I have dark hair. I dye it often. Usually fuschia, red, or blue black. I have glasses, I am 6'4'', and I have a football player build. I have a pierced labret and pierced ear lobes. I like to dress in baggy black clothing. I tend to wear leather wristbands with spikes, skulls/crossbones, crosses, and I like weird things like safety pins and chains. Last but not least, I am Native Canadian, therefore my skin is brown. I'm dark. (I think dark is beautiful which is why I embrace dark clothing).

Basically, people say I'm goth or punk (I dislike labels). But according to stereotypes only flamey blondes with pink shirts are gay. God, I hate labels.

Many find it hard to believe that I'm gay. According to them, I can't get a girlfriend so I try and get a boyfriend instead. T_T

Anybody else hear me out there? I'm ranting so this may not make any sense.

I'm opinionated when it comes to these discussions, :bang:

2. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

I definitely know what you mean. Everytime I come out to someone new, they are always like "Wow, you don't look at all gay.." Which, is quite interesting since I've never seen any two gay people look identical..

I am a geek at heart. I send large amounts of time behind a computer. I'm interested in many different aspects of computers.. Programming, building, maintaining, etc. The past 9-ish weeks finallized my third year on a high school robotics team. I'm also really into scifi and channels like Discovery and The History Channel. (Oh, and I never leave home without my Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium calculator!)

My "style" is pretty casual. I spend as little time in a clothing store as possible. I also rarely wear anything with a label on it. I tend to be careful about the activities and groups and events that I support. (Of course, people almost jump out of their skin when I wear some sort of gay oriented shirt.)

Whenever I attend a pride parade, I almost always feel out of place without the high heels and rainbow bowas. Anyone else get that feeling? (Of course, finding a gay geek is worth the discomfort, IMHO)

3. Micah

I'm 5"11

Blonde hair, blue eyes. I'm naturally darker blonde, but between you and me I dye it lighter :wink:

I usually wear surfy clothes, most of the time with labels (yes I'm superficial that way, but hey...I dont pay for it)

I'm into hanging out with my friends, playing video games at home and watching movies (most genres). When people find out I'm doing Infomation Technology at school, they're usually shocked. Even though I'm more interested in the graphic design and art side of computers, people ignore that when they find out that a gay person is doing a 'nerd' course.

Doesn't really bother me heaps. People have this idea in their head of what a gay person is, and it takes them time to adjust to new ideas.

This is just typical rant from people who obviously have no idea as to what they're talking about. Best thing to do is just ignore them.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

^ Dave is as cute as he sounds too - I've seen photos! :grin:

As for me, I don't fit any of the stereotypes. Not appearance, not clothing, not interests, not choice of career, nothing.

Hair is somewhere between dark blond and light brown, cut relatively short, and receding. :frowning2:

Prefered clothes are regular fit stonewash jeans (Wrangler Texas, Levi 751), with t-shirts and sweatshirts (generic ones like Hanes). I don't have anything in pink or orange - navy blue and bottle green are more my colours.

Music taste is pop and light rock from the 60s to the early 90s. Probably as close as that gets is that I quite like stuff by S-Club 7, Steps and A-Teens. Ohh - and Abba.

Job is a mix of electronics, software and IT. I am also interested in the Internet and web design, and also in collecting vintage radios etc. So a bit of a nerd! :frowning2:

Car is a "hot-hatch" Suzuki Ignis Sport in bright yellow. More "boy racer" than "queen" really.

So I am certainly not the sort of person anyone would think of as gay from observing me. However nobody seems to be that surprised when they find out. I'm not bothered though. I am what I am, like it or lump it! :grin:

5. chrisg

^ Are you going to pass those pics around? :icon_mrgr

Anyway, I definitely don't fit the "gay" mold. My musical tastes aren't very wide, but they include jazz and classical (especially baroque) music. My CD collection is pretty nonexistent.

As for clothing, I think I got my jeans from Target, but I don't remember--they're years old! I have a number of souvenir t-shirts from various places and a couple of sweatshirts, which I wear frequently. During the winter, I might break out the sweaters (green, red, and blue); during the summer, the shorts make an appearance.

My hair is pretty ordinary...kind of an outdated look for a 17-year-old, but I really don't care. No style here.

I can be kind of a geek. I love to do web design--none of this Dreamweaver nonsense, but real code--and I spend a lot of time with that. Also, at school, I help a lot of teachers with their computer issues; actually, I just got accosted today to help with someone's printer. :icon_cool

Whenever I come out to someone, they're really surprised. "Boo!"

#5 chrisg, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much anyone with a clue figures out I'm gay within about 5 minutes... oh okay, maybe a day. I don't come out--I just am not a very butch guy. And if I'm talking about my life, I don't shy away from the aspects that obviously mark me as gay. And there are a lot of those kinds of aspects. *grin*

I don't think it's so much that I look super-gay... I just act "not straight." Or rather, I don't "act..." I just come across as "not straight."

A lot of my wardrobe actually comes from the Gap (but not stuff with THE GAP all over it because I hate being a billboard). So pretty much jeans or casual pants and t-shirts/shirts with the occasional button-up shirt. I tend to wear a LOT of blue (which is secretly because a former boyfriend who I thought had really good taste told me once that I look really good in blue) but I look good in fall colours, too.

My hair is very mid-90s mainly because I just am nuts for this one particular hair style from then so I'm like, "Well, why wouldn't I keep my hair the way I like?" (Basically, I don't believe in changing my hair or my clothes or anything else just because it's not "in fashion" anymore.) I have light brown/goldish/dirty blond hair.

I have a background in computer science although I work more on the user end of things rather than the hardcore coding/techie side. I'm back at school studying sociology (read: queer studies) so I can eventually become a prof. If I survive that long.

All through grade school and high school I was the nerd. Lots of time with the computer and reading fantasy and sci-fi. I still like fantasy and sci-fi but these days I watch a lot more TV than I read. I still collect comic books, though, which is pretty nerdy. *smile* I spend a lot of time online since it's not only part of my job but it's just become a really integral part of my life. But it's weird cuz I'm not exactly a nerd anymore even though I do a lot of nerdy stuff. Or maybe I just think I'm not a nerd. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :eusa_whis

I also see a lot of movies and I tend to hate comedies unless they're silly teen romantic ones. I tend to have trouble finding people to watch bad horror and dumb teen movies, which I seem to adore no matter how silly they are. But otherwise I like good sci-fi/fantasy films (like the Russian Night Watch), independent art-house flicks that are character-driven, and some action/adventure stuff if there's more to it than the action and special effects. Nearly all the TV I watch is 1-hour dramas... I hate sitcoms.

As I write this, the Backstreet Boys are up in my playlist. *snicker* I like a huge range of music, from europop/eurodance to female singer/songwriters (Sarah McLachlan, Jann Arden, Chantal Kreviazuk, etc.) to classical to 1950s rock to Elvis to some country (Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers) to musicals (Les Mis, Phantom) to even some rap and hip/hop (very little but some). And yes, some Celine Dion and Avril Lavigne. And Britney. *sigh*

As for activities, well, movies, TV, a lot of dining out with friends, the occasional play, some of the cooler board/tile/card games (Ticket to Ride Europe, Carcassonne, Magic: The Gathering), reading, keeping up to date on queer-related news, writing emails to friends... gosh I sound really boring. *grin* Oh right... politics! Well, following politics, which I'm sure makes me seem much less boring.

The ways I am not stereotypically gay is that I hate shopping, especially for shoes and clothes, I'm not a super-club person (anymore :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), I don't really like house/trance music, and... well in every other way I'm pretty gay. :confused:

7. LowestVocal017

Hi, Chaos!:slight_smile:

It is really irritating! Gay's must act a certain way to them, or they're not considered gay! How rediculous is that! I'm totally with you on this one.

I usually like dressing up in tight clothes and it's because I find big clothes simply too big and has too much room (Sometimes, it makes me feel shirtless). But I do like silent time, I abhor video games, and cannot even swing a bat at baseball to save my life! I don't like sports, but I do believe in getting sufficient exercise to stay healthy. And I do watch my red meat intake. So these are a few things some expect from a gay guy, but these aren't because I'm gay. If I may say so, I personally say it's more genetics, because my mom watches what she eats and so do her brothers and sisters, and they do it about the same way I do.

You're right. Gay guys are not only guys who are self-conscious with the way they look, and the kind of hobbies they enjoy (the stereotypically feminine hobbies like reading, gossiping, ha!, etc., etc.). As a matter of fact, let me just say that I saw a guy who wore tight pants (they were actually women's pants), and yet, he was with a girlfriend! That brings me to another point, if you don't mind me saying.

From something like this guy with a tight girl's pants, there comes the term, "metrosexual." (whoop-de-doo! *roll eyes*) Honestly, I find this term to be a way for straight guys to get around having to admit they're wrong about their stereptype. The stereotype is gay guys are so kissy-pooh feminine or have feminine attributes or something similiar to that. They observe that not all gay guys are feminine-like, so they have to give those guys another label so atleast they're not "completely wrong." Yeah, "If a 'qu**r' (a feminine-acting guy) is not gay, he's metrosexual." I mean, come on guys! If you're wrong, you're wrong! Just admit it! There's no "if a guy act's 'gay' but is not, he's a metrosexual." Plain and simple! I really just find it an immature label.

#7 LowestVocal017, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006