1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any girls on here play lacrosse or know how to?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

I got a job coaching lacrosse with my mom's friend and the problem is lacrosse is the one sport I've never played and I've been trying to research it but I just don't really understand it. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TraceElement

I played a little lacrosse (read: i went to a camp in the 3rd grade) and if my memory serves me right, it reminds me of a mix of hockey and football. I know this doesn't help much, but my theory is that you may be able to apply certain principles from both games to LAX

3. Tiny Catastrophe

I'm coaching 2nd graders so I guess I don't have to know too much but I do know that I should really know how to cradle and I can't for the life of me do it

4. orviceversa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I played for a few years in high school... and have been trying to get a coaching gig since I graduated. The stick handling is something you'll have to practice/watch youtube videos on.. I can't really explain it over the internet. The game itself is pretty simple. The field is 12 v 12. Goalie, 3 defenders, 5 midfielders, 3 attack players. The 5 midfielders break down into 2 Attack wings, 2 d-wings, and 1 center.

The basic rule of thumb concerning anything offsides is basically you need your goalie + 4 on your defensive end when you are on offense. There are lots of other intricacies, but I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for help on.

#4 orviceversa, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. Tiny Catastrophe

I would just like to know the basics for now since they're only like 7 year olds. I've watched a couple videos on cradling and almost broke my tv when the ball went flying, so needless to say I just don't get it lol

6. orviceversa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you don't wanna go too crazy trying to do that. The best is just to start slow, with your stick nearly completely upright. DO NOT watch men's, it's completely different. The best way is to learn how to go from ear to ear, cradling slow in front of your face. You will slightly lift the stick in this process, making an arc. You land on the non dominant side at the same height you started your cradle with. Your dominant hand should be towards the top of the crosse. Your dominant arm will extend across your body when cradling like this. Eventually, when you get the hang of it, you can pick up the pace. Once that technique is down, you can learn how to cradle on one side only (start with the dominant.. likely at that age most of them will not need to switch to a non-dom hand.. though it is a good skill to have). What I find helpful in developing skill is taking your crosse and ball out to anywhere with a concrete wall (like the blacktop at a middle/elementary school) or a park that has a basketball court with a wall divider or something similar. Practice throwing/catching against the wall, cradling in between throws to yourself. Usually you have more space so you aren't constrained by the confines of your living space.

I hope this helps or makes any kind of sense. It's difficult to do without showing, seeing what your issue is, or being able to correct your body into the right position.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2011 at 10:49 PM ----------

This is how to cradle off to the side. It's actually easier than what I explained to you, but what I am trying to explain to you is how I was taught initially.

YouTube - How to Play Women's Lacrosse : Basic Cradling in Women's Lacrosse

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2011 at 10:51 PM ----------

She has a whole series of videos for basic skills.. I hope it helps!

7. Tiny Catastrophe

Thank you very much. That's very helpful and I will definitely try that in the morning. And the thing you were talking about is wall balls right? There's another girl who's my age coaching with me who's been playing for a while and told me to do that also. My next practice is technically this afternoon so I have a lot to learn. I appreciate all the help :slight_smile:

P.S- I see you're new so welcome to EC (a little delayed I know but I'm a bit slow lol)