1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jeimuzu, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Jeimuzu

Anyone doing it?

It's the National Novel Writing Month. You sign up on their website, and then between November 1st and November 30th, you've got to write a 50000 word novel. Despite the name, it's not National anymore, it's international, but the name's stuck.

Incidentally, it's a challenge, meaning that if you sign up and fail, don't worry, but have a go!

And if you're saying "I can't write that much!" I have two responses.

1.) You never know until you try!
    2.) It doesn't have to be good.

Really, it doesn't. It can be rubbish. They expressly recommend you don't edit, because that really slows you down.

You've got to write under 1700 words a day to hit the target (1700 * 30 = 51000). An A4 page set to MS Word defaults is about 500 words.

I wrote a PM on another forum with over 1000 words today, and then deleted it before sending because it'd give the wrong impression.

That just shows how easily we can write that many words.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

If you're still thinking "I can't do this!" just take a look in the website, see what they say. I was thinking that myself, and then I saw what it said in the notes, and figured... Y'know, I probably can.

2. Steam Giant

I participated last year, but obtained a certain video game halfway through the month and, well, never finished the story I was working on, heh. I had completely forgotten about it this year until someone reminded me a few days ago, so yes, I do plan to write for this one, though I have absolutely no idea what about! I haven't written anything in months! But hopefully, this will get me back into the swing of things.

It really was easier than I'd though it'd be last year, though, and I was actually ahead of the pack for the first two weeks. I hope that trend holds true for this year, too!

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

i'm not going to start a new idea so i am disqualified. so therefore i am now in hate of the whole thing. i started a novel a year or two ago that is amazing. i only wrote two chapters. if i have to start over than forget the whole stupid thing. i'm going to finish my own and sell it. just like i planned two years ago. the plot is juicy and original. for this month i will embark on a journey to write in it. i can do it all by myself. without the help of other authors on that 'site'. so whatever. and i might work on my other unfinished novel first since i'm almost done.
    hey if any of you need original cool ideas i got plenty!

4. 24601

Well, I signed up. I have no time and no ideas, but I think it's an awesome project and hopefully can come up with something.

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could finish my novel... but I won't have enough time. I have to study for my finals.

6. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

OOMG Jeimuzu u dont know how much i love you right now for posting this thread.....this is just what i've been loooking for! YOU SOOO ROCK! TY TY TY

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NaNoWriMo is for amateurs! *grin*

If you want to do something serious, try the 3-Day Novel Contest.

I can't remember my exact word count but I think it was 29,000 or something... something like 111 double-spaced typed (letter) pages in 3 days. It was insane, intense, and what I produced was really pretty decent. Oh yeah and it would probably be of interest to many people here.

Well, they say "write what you know." :lol:

Seriously, though, anyone who does NaNoWriMo is cool. I was joking about it being for amateurs. I lack motivation a lot of the time so things like NaNoWriMo and the 3-day thing are great because they force me to actually get off my ass and DO something.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

They are not going to know it's an old idea or something you've already started though. How could they? :icon_wink

As long as it's your own work then why not enter it any?

9. Steam Giant

I'm starting my story right now. I've been coming up with ideas all day long, and I think I can actually finish this year. Good luck to all who are attempting this feat!

10. Tom

Tom Guest

to me its like hell, im only actually replying to point out the sheer brilliance and ingeniousness of steam giants sig, i love it! its even my new msn display picture for now.

11. Steam Giant

Hahaha thanks ^^ though I stole it! It was somebody's avitar somewhere (not on EC), I think it was some site malware removal forum...I took a few avitars from there, hehe! I so wish I had thought of this back when I was in school, though! Anyway, the other reason for this reply (I couldn't edit the above), my NaNoWriMo name: steam.giant

12. Jeimuzu

I'm Jeimuzu there as well as here, incidentally.

I've got a couple of ideas, but I was wanting something a bit comedic (along the lines of Ben Croshaw's Fog Juice, which you can read here: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/fogjuice.htm), rather than my usual ideas, which are rather dark. For example, one of my plots that I've been planning for a while is about a spate of mysterious murders, it's an antihero sorta story (I like them :slight_smile:) and the one I reckon I'm gonna do for NaNoWriMo is about a group of people who have never met before, and get kidnapped by terrorists. It seems relevant, new, intriguing, and plausible.

I've just noticed that Fog Juice was written for a previous NaNoWriMo, actually! I never knew that :0

Incidentally Latinokid, you're very welcome :slight_smile: I'm glad to be of service. :grin:

#12 Jeimuzu, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  13. Steam Giant

Kidnapped by terrorists! Sounds like it has comedic potential to me! My story's going to be horror, about a character in hell who has to overcome the qualities that got her there in order to move on while surviving in a nightmarish city.

14. Jeimuzu

Your's sounds awesome.

However, I've changed my idea to the mysterious murders one, because I know how to start it, which is the important thing here. I've gotten about 4 pages in word done so far.

15. Steam Giant

Very cool! Post an excerpt when you get the chance! I've posted an excerpt of the very beginning of mine, though I've only done a page and a half so far :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'll do more tomorrow.

Their site is so hard to navigate on the first day! I'm still trying to figure out how to make someone a "writing buddy" so we can check on each other. Do you know how?

Edit: I figured out how ^^ let me know if you need to know!

#15 Steam Giant, Nov 1, 2007
  16. Jeimuzu

Well, I can't get into the website - my internet isn't wonderful on the best of days, so at the moment it really can't cope with a website that is, in itself, struggling like crazy to keep up.

An excerpt... right, this'll do as just a random section (can't be bothered picking out anything all that relevant, haha, so it's interaction between a couple of minor characters; a wealthy art dealer called Edward with delusions of grandeur and a bad attitude, and his nice-enough-but-hardly-perfect, overpaid secretary/yes-person Joanna, set in a fictional dealership owned by Edward called Art and Soul):

That's the first half of page five, and as far as I'm up to, since it changes scene after that and I'm not sure exactly how to start the next scene. It'll come to me :slight_smile:.

#16 Jeimuzu, Nov 1, 2007
  17. Steam Giant

Wow, very cool! I love the way Edward talks ^^ and I can't wait to read more of it!

Here's my excerpt, pretty short. It's the very, very beginning of the story.

18. Jeimuzu

Ooh, you have a cool descriptive way of writing. Similar to mine, in all honest, but since my excerpt is mostly dialogue, there's not much in the way of vivid imagery.

19. Steam Giant

^^ Thanks! We can all thank Lost for the "stompy thing" that Terra had attracted, which I never intend to actually show (although it's not one of the more prominent monsters she has to deal with). We can also thank the Silent Hill games for a lot of the feel I'm going for. I want to make the city feel alive, like it's watching her, testing her.

It's going to be hard writing this weekend between work and a social event I'll have to attend, but hopefully I'll be able to add a few extra thousand words so I won't fall too far behind. I also want to see some of that description you were talking about, Jeimuzu!

20. Jeimuzu

Well, I've just finished my first chapter, which is clocking in at 2683.

I'm hopefully gonna do a few more scenes and clock in at around 4k by the end of today.

Okay, this is the very first scene, and is a bit more vivid (lots of adjectives! :grin:)