1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you come out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MyDecember, Apr 16, 2011.

1. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How do you personally come out to people. Do you just say it? Do you have a way of doing it? Do you plan it? Text it? Write a letter? Phone a friend to do it? What if the person is homophobic or just plane mean? How do you put your special touch on coming out?

2. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I answer honestly if people ask. I don't ever really initiate.

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

This I think would be a better thread for the "support and advice" area.

When i came out, it was with a large group of friends, at a party rather. I just made it seem really casual, and like it wasnt that big deal. Your friends will probably not be homophobic, and if they are, then they will come around. Its something that takes some getting used to. As for adding a special touch, Im sorry that is for you to figure out.

To each their own.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Considering the conversational/inquisitive way the original poster worded the thread, I think it's fine where it is.

Since I'm already completely out of the closet, I tend to just act like the person I'm talking with already knows that I'm gay. I don't make an issue of it, and if it comes up, it comes up, and they figure it out eventually. I also have it on my Facebook page, I wear a rainbow pin on my messanger back that says "Don't ask, 'cause I'll tell", and I sometimes wear a t-shit that says "When do I get to vote on your marriage?" All of these are because I'm pretty masculine-acting around people I don't know extremely well, and while the surprised reactions to my comings out were amusing at first, they got tiresome after a while, so I counteract my unintentionally-effective façade with pride paraphernalia.