1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever have to defend yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hot Pink, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Hot Pink

In junior high, I was teased and hazed pretty bad. People called me "fag", "gay", "sissy", and all those other horrible things. Things weren't violent, but they were relentless. I didn't want to go to school anymore.

One day, after PE, the ring leader of this was once again degrading me in front of everyone. It was at this moment, I realized that things were escalating. When I tried to walk away from the ring leader, someone else shoved me back toward him. I knew then that I had to do something or I would end up getting beat up every day at school instead of just hazed.

Backed into a corner, I didn't really think I just acted. After being shoved, I just kind of snapped and I slugged the ring leader across the face. I packed all of my frustration and anger that he caused me into that punch and he went down.

It was the first time things got violent. From an outsider, they might think that it was uninitiated or I went too far. I knew what was about to happen, though. They were going to beat me up gang style, so I did the only thing I thought I could do: I took out the leader to disorient to group. It worked and no one bothered me again until halfway through high school.

It's not something I'm proud of, but I still think it was necessary. The teachers weren't doing anything about it, despite that they knew what was going on.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's very brave of you :slight_smile: I mean I don't condone violence but I still think it was beyond brave of you to stand up for yourself, and you're right, going after the leader is generally what takes the strength of a group. They become lost, fragmented, and unsure what to do.

3. Hot Pink

I'm not a violent person at all, but I was cornered, scared, and I was sick of the abuse.

4. Flyers2011

I've never had to physically defend myself. But I have gotten into screaming matches with people.

Like, even though it wasn't because my sexuality, my friend and I were being accused of bullying another kid by a guy in band. He wouldn't allow me to finish my statements and I snapped because I've been bullied by other people for years. It just caused something inside of me to snap and we got into a screaming match.

He denies accusing me to this day.

5. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

I have never gotten physical with someone, but i just ignore it an walk away. I must say though, there are people in my school that absolutely get physical with me if i said something back and i would most definitely fight back! i applaud you for what you did to the ring leader it was very brave, i always say direct action is the way to go to eliminate the problem.

6. Hot Pink

I always walk away before things escalate that high. Problem was that in that situation, I had nowhere to go. Something was going to happen, I just caught them by surprise. I don't think they were expecting me to fight back.

7. AtmaWeapon

Physically, no, but verbally and psychologically, yes, for as long as I remember, really. It used to be a constant battle and I've gotten my worth of bullying there. It's a family dysfunction thing. I rarely put up with crap from people out of home, though, fortunately.

8. RedState

Good! You should have beat the shit out of him.

I'm not a violent person but I will be goddamned if someone is going to push me around. I'll try and be diplomatic at first, but if that fails I have no problem kneeing someone in the nuts and swinging away. I won some fights, I lost some..it happens.

9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I've had to verbally defend myself and stuff before, who hasn't? I've never had to physically fight someone before though. I was teased and stuff by total idiots, but everyone knew better than to touch me. I'm a total pacifist, non-violence is very important to me. My friends are protective though--too protective sometimes. One of my best friends is a 250 pound linebacker and he takes care of the people that he loves. I've no doubt that he would have then and still will deal with some homophobes if the situation calls for it.

10. Giorria

Giorria Guest

Never had to defend myself regarding my sexuality, I've been lucky to know people who aren't like that whether they're friends or people who don't like me. I'll defend myself and those I care for, I have a work colleague whos become like an older brother to me and I'm always ready to fight his corner when people say stuff behind his back.

Way back in school in my group of old friends one of the guys was teased and called gay, hes been the only straight person in the group to hold a relationship for more then 5 minutes. We all knew he wasn't gay, I think it was just a teenage phase for everyone else to be calling him gay and I do feel bad that I joined in with it. We've all gone in our different directions since school which is a shame because they were a nice bunch of guys.

11. Paper Heart

I never had to physically defend myself (being 5'4" and 130lbs thats not the best) so i usually just make snide comebacks. Once I was shoved into a row of lockers, and another time I was shouldered, but I never fought back. I just avoided them (by going down a flight of stairs then back up at a different set; my biggest regret was doing that to myself).

12. starfish

I think I've told the story here before, so I'm not going to repeat it. Very simular to yours, except I threw the first punch. I generally don't condone the use of violence and it was not a decision I made lightly, but sometimes it is necessary. I am proud that I threw that first punch. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions and do unpleasant things. The abuse was getting out of hand and I had to stop it.

Now that I think about it, I never told my parents the details behind the fight. I just told them I was being picked on. I'm curious if they know.

13. Danny19

Ive never been in a physical fight, verbally yes. In middle school was when i was bullied being called fat and gay and all this shit. I would get away cuz i didnt care what those idiots said. We all went to the same high school and those that made fun of me didnt graduate. so whose laughing now.. meee! lol.. anyways I think that what you did was awesome. im not really violent but if someone ever tries to do some shit like that to me then f it ima have to beat the hell outta them. i took self defense classes for these reasons even though i never told my mom this i just said for fun. So if people think im innocent and i will let myself get pushed around then they r wrong. Cuz i will fight back. But it wouldnt be my first choice honestly since if feel fighting is for animals.. but whatevers..lol.

14. RaRa

I haven't gotten into a fight since middle school, but I kicked ass, and probably still can. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In regards to any fights when I'm teased about being gay....nah I didn't get that much being in LA and all. :slight_smile: