1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretending to be straight

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, Apr 26, 2011.

1. IanGallagher

I know I'm not the only guy here who's pretended to be straight. It's something I could do easily... before coming out... Now it just stings. Or in my case hiding a 'part' of myself.

So what's your pretending to be straight stories? Or the ones that stand out?

I went to Vegas with my best friend and his friend, after I came out to my best friend. His friend had no idea. Thus, I thought it would be awkward for all of us if his friend found out. Well, here's where it gets interesting evidently Vegas ratio is 80 guys to every 3 girls. I get gayer when there are more guys around. Straighter when there are more girls are around (Ps. all the hot girls are hiding in the M&M shop). Pure bi when it's an even mix. So, I was ultra-gay in Vegas. We went to the pool, sure enough guys were everywhere (!!!) few girls. Naturally my eyes drifted to guys. I think his friend might have even noticed me checking out a lifeguard. Then my best friend came over and said "let's go to the hot tub." I was excited, girls! We walked over... no girls - at all... all guys, three of them were hot. So I was surrounded by hot guys. It was the most I've ever had to pretend to be straight. My instincts told me there were a lot of great guys around - there were - just I had to fight the urge to check them out because then his friend might have found out I'm not straight. There was one guy, around my age, in the hot tub by himself who I think saw me checking him out and smiled... lets just say the whole experience while having to "act straight" was awkward. It was like that all throughout Vegas - not a lot of girls around, guys were everywhere. Either it's always like that or just when we went because we all commented on it. :eek: Pure gays here - book your travel plans, it's guy mecca.

So, what's been your "acting 'completely' straight" experience? Which I'm pretty sure we all probably have had to go through at some point or another.

(Also as per my 'guy/girl' ratio thing - I always count and I'm always right which is really weird, it's like a survival instinct of who I have the best chances of getting it on with... spidey sense tingling... this is a guy/girl area! The bi version of gay-dar.
    [​IMG]
    Also, despite that I don't even agree with one-night stands, go figure)

#1 IanGallagher, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only times I really go out of my way to pretend to be straight is when I'm being hit on by some creeper on public transport, which isn't an infrequent thing. I usually tell them I'm going to meet my boyfriend, and when I get to where I'm going, make a big deal out of jumping into the arms of whatever male friend I'm meeting up with. It's just a safety thing.

3. Mr Ishida

Mr Ishida Guest

Well, i'm off to Vegas.:lol:

The only time i act straight is either when people ask me if i'm gay, (Not out....yet).

4. Bolin

Well, I'm not out yet, but I've done the reverse (so......actually being out?)

There was this one girl that was interested in me, and she was just SO stalkerish...Fortunately, she was from another school (my cousin's friend), so she didn't know anyone from my school. Well, one day, she ran into me with a few of my friends in public and kept being all stalkerish and trying to talk to me and crap like that. So, I just randomly grabbed one of my friends' hands and said: "I'm gay. He's my boyfriend."

I was only half lying. :grin:

5. rangerfan

Out Status:
    All but family
    For 2 years during high school I had to pretend to be straight because I was on my school's football and ice hockey teams, mostly all of the guys on the teams are straight, and I say mostly because other have come out before me on the teams. These guys always crack gay jokes, and calling certain people fags and flamers, they talked about the girls they like to bang, all the stupid things that guys think of. I was terrified if I came out, they would start saying stuff about me and not consider me as part of the team anymore.

Now into a personal story, I started going out with my first boyfriend during my sophomore year, and I had to hide my relationship from everybody. During my junior year, when spring football started, one guy on the team was harassing my boyfriend, not to his face but in the locker room, saying some of the most awful things. I couldn't take it anymore, and I went right up to him and said "I'm bi and that's my boyfriend, if you have anything to say about me or him say it now". He didn't say another word after that and it was the best decision I ever made to stand up for my beliefs and my love.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never really "played straight". We've gone into biker bars and the like, and my partner and I joke "OK, no making out here". (It's a joke because neither of us much likes PDAs in any event - we wouldn't even make out at a pride festival.) I don't know if we'd "pass" for straight, but I doubt we draw much attention to ourselves, either.

Lex

7. Hot Pink

I played at being a heterosexual guy for most of my life so far, if that counts? I only just recently came out as not only a woman but a lesbian. Nothing was more awkward for me than being around a group of straight males and hearing them talk about girls and sex. Ugh...

8. bambam07

My gay friend just came out and I was still figuring it all out. My friends and I were all sitting in a circle and no one believed that he was gay so he took out his phone and showed me a picture of a guy and said
    "Isn't he really hot?" I was just like
    "Yeah! He's cuuuuute!" I didn't even look at the picture, I just sorta checked out his phone.

Most people that arent to close to me assume I'm straight anyway *rolls eyes*

9. Steven791

The first guy I ever messed around with had to really chip away at me to get me to do anything. I thought he was just teasing me when he would try and make out with me or start rubbing my leg (the guys i went to high school with would jokingly hump me or call me fag/queer.. little did they know lol) I would always push him off me and tell him I was straight because I was afraid he was just giving me a hard time and would freak if I went to kiss him lol.

10. Holmes

That's a really great story, well done for sticking up to him.

There was never a time that I decided to pretend to be straight though I knew I was gay, but there was a long time when I really wasn't sure of myself. But there have been times even since I've started to come out when someone said something that made it clear they presumed I was straight and I let it pass. I want people to know, but I'm often too slow to correct people.

11. VampConspiracy

I have to worry more about pretending to know how to be around people than to pretend to be straight. I don't even try to masquerade as straight anymore, if "anymore" is even the right word.

12. Mogget

I don't pretend to be straight, but I censor a lot of my gayness around people I'm not close to. But that has more to do with not wanting every Tom, Dick, and Harry to know when I'm drooling over some guy or other.

13. Hexagon

Nope. I don't think I've ever pretended to be straight. I've pretended to be a girl on occasions though... Don't like that.

14. rednaxela

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i had to pretend that i was straight last night at a party. there was this one dude there who was quite cute and my gay-dar went off a little. so i started to pull little moves onto him, and the subject of being gay came up, he said "gay isn't normal" even though i wanted to hit him, i couldn't because i'm not out to anyone yet. i pulled away and i started dancing like a slut with on of my girlfriends and singing still trying to woo him. i think he checked me out a few times but still i had to pull off but i had to play the straight card just so he didn't think i was weird :/

15. RenegadeSappho

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am an adult with a daughter living with uber-religious parents out of financial necessity. I chat with women online, but when I want to meet them, I have to say I'm meeting a "new friend", any sexual encounter needs to be somewhere else than where I live, than in my own bed... playing straight really gets old when you feel like you owe people you love a debt of gratitude, but it comes at the price of denying an essential part of yourself

16. RaRa

Dude it's Vegas. Who gives a fuck about your friends friend. :lol:

I just went for my bday in March and had a blast...no need to act straight! If I did that I wouldn't have put on a show for people on the strip. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

<3 the Wynn.

17. Flyers2011

I've done it unintentionally. Before I realized my true sexuality (I thought I was bisexual), I had a couple of boyfriends so everyone who saw us together just assumed I was straight.

But I don't do that anymore :grin:

18. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well.. I avoid saying anything gayish.. So it makes me miserable.. and it makes people me dislike me.. which leads me no where but into a shithole.

19. borntosurvive

I'm still pretending to be straight at school. Around my friends who know I'm gay, I talk about boys and all that jazz, but when I'm with my friends who don't know yet or just other people I have to play it straight. It's honestly incredibly depressing.

For example, I'm on the speech and debate team at my school and we go on over night trips and have to stay at hotels in rooms of three to four guys. It's not like I have a crush on anyone on the team or anything, it's just that I'm the only gay kid on the team, and I'm pretty well liked and I don't want that to go away, because I always get to hear all the gay jokes and stuff; the boys [and girls] on the team use the word "faggot" to describe pretty much any guy who they don't like, and I'm sure they've used it about me before, so I just feel like playing it straight is like a suit of armor that'll protect me from being ostracized and disliked on the team.

20. Lolguy

I acted straight for so long, and it wasn't hard for me to do, I suppose. I just acted the same way my friends did. I just finally got sick of it and started telling people that I'm gay.