1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Teacher is kinda awesome...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kerze, May 4, 2011.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so my English teacher was talking about homosexual subtext in a book we're reading and one of the guys in my class said 'Eugh, that's just wrong.' when she mentioned it. He reaction was awesome;
    She said 'Grow up, you need to realise that it's perfectly natural for a man to fall in love with a man; you can't help who you fall in love with and neither can gay people. I woula have thought by the time you get to your a-levels you're mature enough to accept everyone as equal but obviously I give you too much credit. I'm really annoyed that you would even say that, I don't want any of you to ever say something like that again.'

She has a husband and she's pregnant so she's obviously not gay but it just made me smile to see her defending gay people, so I thought I'd share

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww that awesome.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I freaking love teachers like that! :slight_smile:

Make sure to thank her. Knowing she is helping her students feel supported will keep her fighting for us.

She reminds me of my english teacher. She would flip shit when someone would say "that's gay." Most badass teacher ever!

4. UnAmourFatal

ah, wish I had teachers like that.
    It's kinda the other way around here.

5. TheWanderer

im seeing more and more straight people stick up for GLBT. seems like society as a whole is coming around thanks in my opinion to awareness.

Similar situation happened at work, my boss is gay and while he wasn't around a co-worker said that he is a "sick f*ck" now obviously im closeted to my co-workers at the moment but another guy that was there stated " that its none of his business what our boss decides is right for him and that he shouldn't express his feelings towards people at work anyhow." I was pretty happy to hear that coming from an older gentlemen who clearly grew up when "gay was wrong."

6. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,she sounds like an awesome teacher to have on side,you should personaly thank her.If you thank her for her speach,you will effectivaly be coming out to her so let her know what you say is between you two.I would think she may have a gay relative or close friend as unfortunately it often seems this is the only way people overcome there fear or whatever of gay people and get to know the truth.

7. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fantastic! I love it when you find allies when you least expect it.

8. suninthesky

That's quite an awesome teacher!

One of my teachers would always just say "find a different adjective."

A few of my teachers make jokes occasionally. The jokes are funny though, and not extremely derogatory. It definitely feels weird to laugh at them sometimes, since none of them know that I'm questioning. Is it bad to think jokes like that are funny if they're made in a lighthearted sort of way? It kind of feels like a contradiction of sorts.

9. TheWanderer

I dont think so, I have a gay boss that tells people to stop acting so gay. To me as long as it isnt demeaning then who gives a hoot.

10. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My history teacher flips whenever she hears someone use the word gay as something of the derogatory sort. I remember when a kid said a few weeks ago that he would never wear skinny jeans, because 'that was gay', and she stopped talking to whoever on the other side of the room, spun around, and replied coolly, "And you would know, Chris. You need to find another adjective, and if I hear you saying that again you will be sent out of my room and you won't be invited back. I hope you didn't offend anyone with that statement, because if you did, you'll be having a heck of a time sitting in detention with Josh." Josh is openly gay at school and is a very strong boy who gets into trouble a lot, by the way. These are also not the boys' real names.

11. Callister

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Very awesome teacher! We need more people like this, it would make the world a better place. Lets hope your fellow students takes what she said to heart.

12. PianoHead57

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The two big derogatory adjectives at my school that people use even though they don't really make sense are gay and retarded. My world geography teacher won't allow anyone to say that something is retarded, and gets extremely offended and annoyed if they do. But just a few days ago, some girl said that something or other (I believe it was some song) was "just so gay." He heard her, and did nothing. But I guess that's what I get for living in the bible belt.