1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIDS prejudice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheRoof, May 6, 2011.

1. TheRoof

So I was talking with my sister on the phone because I had a question to ask her regarding my application to local AIDS program center.
    I didn't tell her my thoughts about planning/wanting to volunteer in AIDS center before, so the topic was new to her.
    Anyways, she immediately got all freaked out..well not freaked out exactly but to basically sum it up she was uncomfortable with me volunteering in the AIDS center. She told me that she was afraid I was going to catch AIDS while working there, and told me she didn't want me working there.
    Now I completely understand my sister being all protective and all that, but it just didn't make sense to me why she was being all paranoid about getting AIDS. I mean, obviously this is not some unsafe underground orgy place...it's a f***ing AIDS center/clinic. Obviously if I get admitted for volunteering, they would train me, and I don't even think I would actually deal medically with the ppl with AIDS anyways.
    But just how my sister got all uncomfortable and just straight out telling me not to work there bothered me. I told her that I understood where she was coming from, but that it was very unlikely to get AIDS while volunteering, and even if I was volunteering in the hospital (which I have all my highschool years), there is equally same, if not greater, risk of getting some bug like MRSA or something.
    ANyways, she got all mad when I told her my opinion, and we ended our convo with both of us upset.
    So I was wondering if anyone had similar experience as to why some people get all freaked out over AIDS, and possibly why some people have such prejudice about AIDS...it's just frustrating to me that people still think this way in a modern society like now.

PS. Other thing that bothered me was how she began to talk about how she didn't believe people with AIDS are evil. I mean, she's in a freaking Dental School for god's sake..she learns all about medical school informations and she should know better than even mentioning the issue of someone being evil just bc of having some disease. I just didn't understand why she even mentioned the word "evil" at all...even tho she denied it, that just made me realize that in some unconscious level my sister was associating "evil" with people with AIDS.... idk...

2. LumpyPrince

LumpyPrince Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is aids?

3. TheRoof