1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wherewulfe, May 7, 2011.

1. wherewulfe

Five hours of redoing hairstyles and 30 minutes of putting on a tux can only mean one thing to a high school student: it’s prom season. My high school prom was last Friday and to put concisely it was AMAZING. The friends, the food, and the sudden realization that everyone around me knows I’m gay and couldn’t care less (and even encourages it because apparently I’m just hilarious in real life) and that freeing feeling of finally being a little bit of a stereotype all led to what was probably one of my favorite moments in high school. However that’s not why I’m writing this little story down, although I will share my night’s experience if people really want it. No, I’m here to tell you the story of how one gentleman, as the kids these days say, busted a move.

This gentleman, who shall remain anonymous, is quite gay. Obsessed with fashion and a love of everything Gaga, he’s a charming sort of fellow who couldn’t be in a closet if he tried. After talking with the DJ, I’ll be damned if I didn’t dance to Deadmau5 at my prom, I learned that he was going to play it after that one Lady Gaga song. You know the one. The look on that gentleman’s face could only be described as ecstatic when I told him what song the DJ was playing next. So excited that he actually had a circle made in the center of the dance floor, and as the song played he did an actual routine in front of the entire senior class. Now, I go to an all-guys high school so homophobic insults are common, and as I watched this gentleman dance his heart out to what I can only assume is his anthem I could only guarantee how many students might start screaming certain words.

I was wrong

Not a single homophobic insult was yelled, only applause and cheers. Being someone who regularly hears the word “faggot” thrown at one another, this honest to god surprised me. The rest of the night was filled with more dancing, this kind of boring after party thrown at my school, and denny’s at 3 AM with a bunch of my friends and their dates so it rounded off pretty well. I didn’t see the gentleman after prom was over for the rest of the night so I assume he went off to some other after party. Still, it makes me smile to see how surprisingly supportive everyone was.