1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of the world!!! :o psh...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steven791, May 9, 2011.

1. Steven791

I just was curious to what everyone's opinion is on the world (supposedly) ending.

Lots of people I know are freaking out about it, some are indifferent, and some disagree with it.

So I'm going to throw what I think out there about it and see what everyone thinks. I don't believe the world is going to end because: (most of these are the things people have been saying at my work so I've come up with what I think, I don't watch the news so I hear most everything from other people)

A.) The Mayan calendar is going to end next year.
    I think this is ridiculous. The Mayans are dead, the calendar had to stop sometime..
    People say their calendar was more accurate than ours, so that automatically means that the world is going to end? When your calendar ends on the fridge, do you freak out thinking the world is going to end?? No... you throw it away and get a new one (A girl I work with is just dead set on the fact that since their calendar is going to end the world is too).

B.) We are having lots of natural disasters.
    ....... There are always natural disasters..... It's just more exaggerated because people think the world is going to end.

C.) Things that the Bible says will happen before the world ends are happening.
    I believe there is a God, but I don't believe the Bible is accurate. I don't believe it's wrong to be gay. Sure, sex is meant for repopulation, but then it's immoral for the elderly and infertile to get married and have sex. Then condoms should be outlawed. I'm going to stop the rant now before it gets way too long... lol..

I'm sure there was more that I thought about when I started this but I can't remember it now. Maybe it'll come to me later.

Your opinion?

2. starfish

I'm with you, it is just another day at the OK coral.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

A bunch of radical Christians are suggesting that the world is going to end on May 21, 2011 which is a little less than two weeks away--and it also just happens to be my 20th birthday. Here's a news story about it...

I am going to laugh so hard on May 22.

4. Steven791

is it westborough baptist? lmao

---------- Post added 9th May 2011 at 08:45 PM ----------

I bet that lady is going to feel really stupid driving that car around after the 21st lmao

5. TraceElement

Well, we all have 1:1 odds of dying, right? So instead of wondering when and how we are going to die, why not enjoy what life we have?

With most things, I have to see it to believe it... so for me to say I believe the world will end is completely insane... I am not a fortune teller with things of that nature. Now, could the world end at one time? I will never know until it happens.

But, if the world was going to die, this is how I kind of envision it going down.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs[/YOUTUBE]

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love that one. As for the May 21st, the amount of Christians who have rejected the idea is astronomical, i mean the people believing this is very much like WBC. They're small, and not many believe it. When the 22nd comes boy they'll look stupid. Anyone find it also funny that it's the 21st just like 2012's predicted date? Not the month but the date? Quite amusing. What's next? January 21st 2012?

7. Cathulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The May 21st one makes me want to beat my head against a desk. Then I just have myself a chuckle and move on. I'm left wondering if any of the radical Christian groups shrieking about the end of the world (which every Christian group ever thinks is coming RIGHT THIS SECOND anyway, with the exception of those that bother to actually study the scripture) actually did just that.

As for the Mayan calendar? There's indications from what we know about them that whenever one of their "celestial" calendars ended? They had a big friggin' party and started a new one. Kind of like our New Years celebrations. Another popular theory is that the calendar doesn't stop because it's the end of their calendar, but it stops because they were wiped out. Either way, if the Mayans were here today? I have a feeling that they would be having a good laugh at us.

The world goes through cycles of weather and natural disasters. It's well chronicled through modern history. People are just alarmists.

(Also, for a laugh, check this link out.

pick a year

Find out what End of the World claim was going on during your birth year! Mine's a personal favorite. 1982 had some fun ones.)

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why does the sun go on shining?
    Why does the sea rush to shore?
    Don't they know it's the end of the world
    'cause you don't love me anymore?

[youtube]Qgcy-V6YIuI[/youtube]

Lex

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I don't beleive in the 2012, but I do beleive the goverment is doing wrong in the background.
    Which isn't a suprise.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I'm interested about is that there was more stuff on that Pick a Year page for 2000 THAN 2012 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Emberstone

I was just coming on to post that myself. we have had those billboards all over town for the past few months.

12. GuardianKitten

Honestly? I want to have a party that night. If it's gonna go, may as well have fun right? And if not well.... excuse for party.

13. roborama

this, i freaking love this song

14. Flyers2011

A girl in my computer class was talking about the Mayans and how the world was going to end. She's convinced it's true. So I talked about how the Mayans thought that the destruction of their temples signaled the end of the world, when Cortez did it all the Mayans started praying in the streets. He cut their heads off as he rode by on horseback.

The theory of May 21st? BS, this month was the first I had heard of it. My high school graduation ceremony is the next day, actually. People just love to cause panic and havoc.

When the world ends, no one will know but God (or whatever deity or lack thereof you believe in). It's not going to be just broadcasted.

As for the Christian calender, it's been fucked up so many times no one really knows what year it is. So for all we know its the year 3052, not 2011. I rest my case.

Haha. I checked the 'pick a year' link out and apparently the world was supposed to end because God was going to wipe out the homosexuals. . . I think that didn't work, because I was born and we're all still here.

15. Chandra

The Mayans are here today. There are about 1.5 million of them still living in Mexico. And yes, they are laughing at us.

16. whiterosebeka

i don't think its going to happen. its a bunch of nothing anyways. i agree with the whole "the Mayan Calender had to end sometime" what if they just didn't get around to keeping up with it.
    the only thing that makes me really question it would be the fact that the Mayans had so many right predictions, like the Earth's degree of tilt, and what not. but that's all hearsay anyways, and more in likely a rumor bcuz the world loves to feed off rumors.

17. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I heard about this. I think it's absolutely hilarious; whoever believes it is very... *not very nice word here*. Anyway, I will most definitely be laughing on May 22, as I'm sure the Mayans would be, too. It's not like they marked the end of their calendar with "End of the World Here", they just didn't make it past that. They probably died before they did (most likely), or figured there would be no use for it past then.

18. Chandra

*facepalm* You guys, seriously, the Mayans aren't dead. Their culture is alive and thriving in the Yucatan Peninsula. Look, here's a picture.

[​IMG]

When I was on a tour of the ruins at Coba, our (Mayan) tour guide explained that their calendar ending in 2012 is not much different from our calendar "ending" every year on December 31st, only on a much bigger scale. It just starts up again at the beginning the next day. The Mayans believe that there will be big changes that take place in the world, but they DO NOT believe the world is going to end.

#18 Chandra, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  19. Emberstone

they also talk about how the calender has reset itself 4-5 times, and therefore, we are in the 4th or 5th world already (dont remeber). they never believe the world would end, just a period would end, ushering a new world.

20. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been promised 2 Apocalypses (or Apocali ?) and nothing, so I don't plan to get all worked up over this one. Though a flaming eye ball with bat wings would be cool.

Personally I think the mayans ran out of space on the tablet