1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK News Story: School leaving age to be raised to 18

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Full story here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7080699.stm

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

:O then its going to be like america

3. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I think in america you can drop out at 16 or 17 not sure...but who wants to drop out of school....i mean SCHOOL! so much fun today i had no school and it was soooo boring omg theres like nothing on tv

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

lol when your older then ul want to drop out coz theres alotta do , when ya have money that is :grin:

5. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

lol alot like what Mr.Ethan?

6. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    well to be honest I have to agree with that Bill, at the end of the day I finished school/sixth form when I was 18 and now at 19 have myself a well paid job, the next youngest doing the same role is 25 with the majority being in their late 30s or 40s. If I hadn't have gotten my A levels at least I wouldn't expect to be doing this job today.

So... I guess what I'm saying is that those extra two years can make all the difference, to your skills and your maturity.

7. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

lol alot like what Mr.Ethan?

8. EthanS

EthanS Guest

LOL likeeee what kids cant do ^_^

9. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Haha You are bad Mr.Ethan...soo bad and who said "kids" dont do that stuff.....they just dont say anything about it =]

10. EthanS

EthanS Guest

ooo lol ^_^

11. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Yeah idk if i can speak for all but....Im a bad bitch lol

12. xxAngelOnFirexx

in the US its 16. i know somewhere personally who dropped out of her sophmore year. she's 16 so no one could do anything. i think it should be that you go until you finish high school. we need educated people.

13. Ty

Ty Guest

Definitly, in todays society.

14. panda

There's something here,Ont. Canada where if you drop out of school before 18? you lose your drivers licence.I'm not 100% sure but it was talked about.

15. Tom

Tom Guest

the bills needed for sure, im gona be in school, well uni until im 23 so even if they brought it in and i was effected it wudnt effect me too much but there are way too many idiots around here that really could of done with a better education, but tbh if they havent been paying attention, failed gcses or got really bad marks then there would be no way for them to possibly get the pass at A level so it really would be 2 years wasted but then they will also waste the rest of their lives when they could of done so much more.

16. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    it does mention 'training though' so surely that would cover the likes of apprenticeships and vocational qualifications. Where people learn as they work.

17. SpikySpice

In my city, you can drop out of highschool and get a job

But yeah education is important since the population is growing now and everybody is competing to get the best jobs

18. Micah

Manual labourers are important as well don't forget. In Victoria they're starting a new initiative to encourage youth to become "tradies" such as plumbers, builders etc, since these days youth seem to have aspirations of becoming lawyers, teachers etc.

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I am broadly in favour of this change, as long as not everyone is expected to leave education with qualifications. Skills in a trade as Jamie highlights would be equally valuable.

Currently some people seem to leave school at 16 with minimal qualifications and no skills to offer future employers. If this plan means that more young people have qualifications or skills and therefore have a direction in their careers, this has got to be good.

The plans are also far enough in the future that anyone in high school now or starting soon won't be affected.

20. davo-man

I think this is probably a good idea, I think the leaving age in Aus is 16. A couple of people from my school have left during Year 12 to start apprenticeships and (for carpentry and cheffery (so totally not a word but anyway)) so I think it would work, as long as it takes into account of all these other ways of learning, which it seems to according to what you say