1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 reasons the zombie apocalypse COULD happen:

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by whiterosebeka, May 20, 2011.

1. whiterosebeka

5 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen

We found out recently that if you try to leave a little kid in a graveyard late at night, he'll freak out. Even if you offer to leave him a gun to protect himself. Why? It's because on some instinctual level, all humans know it's just a matter of time until the zombies show up.
    Our culture is full of tales of the undead walking the Earth, from our religions to our comic books. But, some sort of zombie apocalypse isn't actually possible, right?
    Right?
    Guys?
    Actually, yes. It's quite possible. Here's five ways it could happen, according to science.

#5. Brain Parasites
    Parasites that turn victims into mindless, zombie-like slaves are fairly common in nature. There's one called toxoplasmosa gondii that seems to devote its entire existence to being terrifying.
    This bug infects rats, but can only breed inside the intestines of a cat. The parasite knows it needs to get the rat inside the cat (yes, we realize this sounds like the beginning of the most fucked-up Dr. Seuss poem ever) so the parasite takes over the rat's freaking brain, and intentionally makes it scurry toward where the cats hang out. The rat is being programmed to get itself eaten, and it doesn't even know.
    Of course, those are just rats, right?

#4. Neurotoxins
    There are certain kinds of poisons that slow your bodily functions to the point that you'll be considered dead, even to a doctor (okay, maybe not to a good doctor). The poison from fugu (Japanese blowfish) can do this.
    The victims can then be brought back under the effects of a drug like datura stramonium (or other chemicals called alkaloids) that leave them in a trance-like state with no memory, but still able to perform simple tasks like eating, sleeping, moaning and shambling around with their arms outstretched.

#3. The Real Rage Virus
    it is a virus that turned human beings into mindless killing machines. In real life, we have a series of brain disorders that do the same thing. They were never contagious, of course. Then, Mad Cow Disease came along. It attacks the cow's spinal cord and brain, turning it into a stumbling, mindless attack cow.

#2. Neurogenesis
    You know all that conversy out there about stem cell research? Well, the whole thing with stem cells is that they can basically be used to re-generate dead cells. Particularly of interest to zombologists like ourselves is neurogenesis, the method by which they can re-grow dead brain tissue.

#1. Nanobots
    Nanobots are a technology that science apparently engineered to make you terrified of the future. We're talking about microscopic, self-replicating robots that can invisbily build--or destroy--anything. Vast sums of money are being poured into nanotechnology. Sure, at some level scientists know nanobots will destroy mankind. They just can't resist seeing how it happens.

lmfao!!!

2. GuardianKitten

I say the governemnt is gonna releace nanobots. :slight_smile: We're fucked.

lol,Ilovestupidpeople

3. aidan

i didn't read the post.. bcoz sorry but im really tired and i swear i'll read it tomorrow and i'm sorry if you mentioned this but blah blah blah blah

4. MercuryLampe

Ahahaha I love this xD I saw it on cracked.com!

5. crystaltriforce

6. whiterosebeka

lol, yes that's where i found it.

and it was a really dumb post i know, but i thought i would help people laugh the way it made me laugh. *shrugs*

7. Meropspusillus

I feel like #5 isn't telling the whole story. Toxoplasma doesn't make rats go crazy and seek out cats, it makes it so that cat pee is sexually attractive to them. It's way cooler, though a lot less zombie-like. (They couldn't have posted the zombie-ant story? Fungus Makes Zombie Ants Do All the Work: Scientific American)

8. whiterosebeka

oh wow! that is really cool!!

if they were to put it in there, i'm guessing it would be that if the ant bit us, then its poison with zombie fungus traces, would take over our entire body and make us eat leaves as well, and then when we run out of leaves, we start eating brains at that point!

---------- Post added 22nd May 2011 at 01:52 AM ----------

i finally got to read the article!

that actually makes more since then the five reason it could happen!

but still pretty good stuff! lol

9. colmanic14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its funny how everyone knows what to do when a zombie outbreak occurs... yet, no one knows what to do if a tornado struck lol

10. Katelynn

As far as I'm concerned, the zombie apocalypse already happened. It lasted for 8 years & it was called the George W Bush presidency. Nobody can tell me that that man was not a mindless, thoughtless, destructive zombie. No one.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The zombie apocalypse has overtaken the post-atomic-war apocalypse as the most common "world changing" event in people's eyes. And it's not hard to see why. For some reason, we all think that if it happens, we won't be one of the zombies. And since we're one of the few survivors, we end up with one basic duty: go out and kill as many of "them" as we possibly can. This no longer becomes acceptable behavior - it becomes our main reason for existing. And it's not like we're killing "people", so it's all good.

[youtube]-3SzhM6rYQA[/youtube]

So call the neighbor kids
    With trash can lids
    And buckets on their heads
    'cause I'm telling you
    We're gonna need a little help tonight...

So hey man, check this out,
    Downtown's a riot
    And something's spreadin through the crowd.
    Try Channel 9
    I'm pretty sure they're headed
    Straight for this part of town.

I can't be certain,
    But I swear I hear them just outside.
    There's no way that this is real
    So count me in.

So grab something sharp
    Find some cover, kill the lights
    And nail the back door shut.
    This isn't funny any more
    Oh no, this means war.
    Don't take this the wrong way
    But I'd much rather choke and die
    Than sit alone and fall without a fight.

With trash can lids
    And buckets on their heads.
    'cause I'm telling you

And there she was, glaring
    Through olive eyes and chalk white skin
    I want you to know
    That I won't be holding back tonight.
    She stole my heart.
    I'll be taking hers with a lawn dart now.
    But look at the bright side
    It's not like she had one there to start...

And something tells me, it's gonna be a long night...

So grab something sharp
    Find some cover, kill the lights
    And nail the back door shut.
    This isn't funny any more
    Oh no, this means war.

And something tells me, it's gonna be a long night...

With trash can lids
    And buckets on their heads.
    Cause I'm telling you

Lex