1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCDs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MisterMason, May 23, 2011.

1. MisterMason

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has anyone else had some obsessive compulsions? If so what were they?

As for me, I had obsessive compulsions having to do with the number 4. It affected my blinking, breathing, walking, touching, and I even started having these weird hand twitches I did compulsively. But it stopped when I was around 10 or 11.

2. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get really OCD about clocks and time. When I'm in a room with a clock I can't take my eyes off it. It's pretty bad.

I also get OCD about really small noises and will go crazy even at the slightest sound. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to check things. I can't sleep or relax if I haven't checked that doors are locked, lights are switched off or that I've turned the electricity off somewhere.

My most frequent one is checking whether I have locked the front door and switched all the lights off. It's not unusual for me to go back when I know that I checked and it was all fine, but I still have to do it anyway. I also have a little routine of checking doors 10 times before I go. I'll test the handle 5 times, put the key on my pocket, and then check another 5 times before leaving. >.<

4. MisterMason

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That seems kinda normal at least. (*hug*)

5. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I have Pure-O OCD (Intrusive thoughts). Mostly I fear harming others and myself; I fear turning into a pedophile; I fear going crazy/schizophrenic; and I have had intrusive sexual thoughts about....people....I can't say. I did not enjoy the thoughts and I was, literally, in hell for almost five years.

I'm taking Prozac (20mg) now and things are soooo much better. I can control my intrusive thoughts much easier....though I do still have to sleep with my headphones on.

6. Markio

I do not have obsessive-compulsive disorder, but I often do this thing in parking lots. I imagine the lines in between the spaces extending outward and across my path of walking, and I try not to step on where the line would fall. Or I try to take the same amount of steps within each space. Usually I'll realize I'm being weird and can stop. I look up or away from the ground so I don't notice the lines.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I have OCD with my appearance, and when I look at the clock and away from it, I forget what time it was so I look at it again.. then again.. & again lol

And I used to move my eyes in "inifinite" motion

8. Connor22

I get pretty OCD about loads of things, even numbers, those long and short tiles on the footpath, I can only stand on the long ones, the pathway to my house is like all small stones in like an interlocking pattern and I can only stand on ones that make a decent diagonal, it's hard to explain without being able to show, I get really worked up about letting people down which isn't helpful at all, I get all worked up about cleaning too, sometimes I just need to clean everything around me and it all has to be accurate and neat and such :/ I'm weird also I'm OCD about my teeth and jaw, it's misshapen at the back and I can dislocate it on one side at will and I do that when stressed also I grind my teeth. wow I have a lot.

#8 Connor22, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  9. whiterosebeka

clean. its either really immaculately cleaned, or really trashy.
    after i take a bite of food, and there is still food on the fork and i'm going for something different, i have to clean the fork off.
    when i'm doing dishes, everything has a certain order in the dishwasher and i have a certain routine with what dishes are first and what not.
    if i have a pimple with a white head, it has to be popped or i sit there and scratch at it.

10. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an obsession with the number three. I arrange things into threes, I eat things in multiples of three and I do things (turning off lights, plugs locking and unlocking the door) three times.
    I also have to turn off plug sockets which are switched on but have nothing in them. My registration class at school is in a science lab with tables grouped around plug sockets and people think it's hilarious to keep turning them on to see me panic and turn them off. It wasn't so funny when I pushed the guy of his stool and kicked him in the stomach.
    I got the teacher wasn't there so I wasn't in detention or anything but the dude stopped doing it pretty dam fats after that.
    I also can't sleep until I've tidied my room, put everything in its place, vacuumed, dusted and made my bed before getting in it (I make my bed every morning, but I re do it again before I go to sleep)

11. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have problems with facial ticks :L at the moment i'm in control of them, but I catch myself doing them sometimes and I have to stop at once or I know i'll start again. Its really weird looking stuff, flexing the muscles in one side of my neck one side of my lip gets pulled down. I also like really scrunching my nose up. And I have more than a bit of a trout mouth and I get real obsessive about like, the bottom of my lip touching my chin. Oh, and rolling my eyes as far as I can. How freaky looking do I now sound? In all fairness i've never had more than two together, and for the last five years or so i've been in control of it. Before I didn't even know I was doing it, other kids used to take the piss so much! Actually, so did my mam, she used to do impressions of me.

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was a teen had an issue with being used before opening a new one.

Like with water jugs, if someone used water from a full one when there was 1/2 empty, I'd have to take the 1/2 empty one and fill up what was used from the full one.

And, the volume on the TV or Radio had to be on a divisible of 5, it would drive me nuts if it was at 11 or 4 or 19 it HAD to a divisible of 5, it just seemed right.

I out grew this though, I think all the crazy stress of growing up can do odd things to you.

I out grew that though.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have issues but overcame them.

For a few years i would obsessively tap out the staccato-rhythm of the syllables of anyone's speech (including my own) with the fingers on my right hand. I still catch myself doing it sometimes, but it's not a problem any more.

14. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wash my hands a million times a day. And volumes have to be set on even numbers.

15. steel03

I have OCD. I catch myself doing things in fours (or until I feel satisfied). So that means blinking, touching, breathing, etc. All kinds of stuff. I also need things to be even, especially on my person. So, for example, if I itch my right ear with my left hand, I need to itch my left ear with my right hand to balance it out. When I'm playing piano (which happens often), I have to keep correcting my mistakes over and over until I'm satisfied. And sometimes I'll feel like I need to "itch" something and I have to make my brain imagine satisfying that need (like maybe someone talks about a tropical island, and for whatever reason, I decide I need to "itch" the back of the palm tree I'm imagining, I have to imagine it turning around and then I have to isolate the spot that needs my attention - good lord, this makes me sound crazy). I also correct grammar under my breath, though I'm trying to quit this one), by saying the word or phrase before the mistake, the correction, and the word or phrase after the mistake.
    And remember the Game? The one where you lose if you think about it? I have a legitimate excuse to not feel obligated to participate, that being that my OCD latched on to it in about ninth grade and it started taking over my life.
    Then there are the little rituals, you know.
    I don't have that many obsessions, but I definitely remember crying myself to sleep one night in high school because I was sure my mom was going to die of skin cancer overnight (she didn't actually even have skin cancer).
    One thing I can't stand is when people don't understand what OCD actually is. There's a huge difference between being anal and having OCD. I don't care much about alphabetical order, although it is a handy way to sort things, and it's fine with me if there are a couple pencils out of place on my desk. OCD is deeper than just wanting things to look a certain way. It translates in your brain as a need, not a desire. Like if this doesn't happen, the world will fall apart.

WOW, I promise I'm a normal person. Seeing it all listed out like this makes me want to take more steps against it.

16. Aya McCabre

I seem to have a couple of OCD type tendencies that show up when my depression gets bad. The most intrusive one is breathing - when I'm in the car what I see out the window has an effect on when I can breathe and when I can't, and if it's breathing in or breathing out.
    Also a couple of random rules when there are different colours or materials on the floor. I think they're quite common ones (? I've heard them from a couple of unrelated sources but never actually looked it up) and they don't seem to change with my mood. They're not always there, but I can't say when they will be and when they won't.

17. thecolorofstars

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't been diagnosed, but that's because it only gets really bad when I get stressed out (and my parents don't have the cash to pay for more medications). Everything has to be even. If tap my right middle finger on my right leg seven times, I have to tap my left middle finger on my left leg seven times. Also, sometimes I have to even something out or organize it. Like line up a stack of books so they're all organized alphabetically and stacked perfectly in line. Which is ridiculous because when I carry around books at school, they're a huge mess.

18. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Omg I totally do that^ 0_0

I also wash my hands alot, also everything has to be properly placed? for example, if I see a pencil kinda pointing diagonal I have to put it straight XD

19. RenegadeSappho

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My OCD was washing my hands because I believed they got filthy every time I thought about sexual predators... I washed and washed until they cracked and bled, it was embarrassing and so hard to explain. Another form it took was everytime I had a bad thought, it was as if my saliva turned to poison and I had to get rid of it. There were places I couldn't go into and things I couldn't touch because of imaginary germs or negative associations. OCD is a living hell when it becomes acute and I nearly committed suicide to get out of my own head. You MUST have therapy along with meds for OCD that is so severe it inhibits your lifestyle. Mine has been well controlled for 10 years now, but people who tend to obsess to process new info never really lose that, and that's ok. But take heart, I don't even need medication now because it was so well treated, there is hope :slight_smile:

20. Chandra

This. OCD isn't the same as being hyper-concerned about cleanliness and tidiness, or being forgetful and having to check things over and over. These can be symptoms of OCD, but there's a lot more to it than that. If you think of your little "tics" as merely being funny, cute, or harmlessly weird, you probably don't have OCD.

I suffered full-blown OCD from adolescence until my early or mid-twenties. My intrusive thoughts were mainly about my parents dying, usually in a car accident but sometimes in other horrible ways. I had rituals, counting, repeated phrases, twitching, etc. I managed to mostly cure myself of it, although I still get the odd little episode now and then.

I have also suffered from acne-related dermatillomania for about 20 years, although I now have that mostly under control too.