1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay pride parade

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, May 27, 2011.

?

What do you think of the gay pride parade?

1. I don't care/not that bothered

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Its good but I don't want to go

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. I like going to see it.

26 vote(s)
    54.2%
  4. I am always in it and I love it.

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

The gay pride parade is one of the BIG event of the LGBT communaty, but what do you think about it?

2. aidan

Birmingham pride starts tomorrow and I've never been to it and I really really wanna go but I don't have anyone to go with :icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Theres a facebook group going theres like a few 1000, you can go with them! my twin and his bf is going..

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your question needs to be more specific.

Which gay pride parade?

5. aidan

:lol: thanks but i don't think those few 1000 people are planning to go with each other, and i'm not really that great at talking to strangers anyway... maybe next year

6. Makaio1

I would love to go to a pride festival, and Birmingham is pretty close but like you aidan, I'd have no-one to go with. Maybe when I'm stateside I'll go...I'm always worried I'd spot someone I know if I went to one here...

7. Kirakishou

I'll be going to the one in Chicago for the 3rd year in a row. I love going. :slight_smile:

8. Eponine

Pride is funnnnnn. I might go to SF pride again this year.

9. Makaio1

well, I'm on the west coast for 12 months starting this June. When are they usually/which ones are the best to go to on the west coast??

10. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I was meaning pride in general

11. Aya McCabre

My country might be getting one. This makes me happy. True it will require a good $500 for me to get there and back and have somewhere to stay, but hopefully I'll have more money by the time it actually happens. :slight_smile:

12. -Michael-

I personally hate the pride festivals.
    For me, it's like yeah yeah we're proud but so are women and black people.
    Do they feel it necessary to have big in your face festivals? No.

I know both minorities have won their discriminatory battle (for the most part) and yes they did have their epic moments in history but I feel gay pride basically confirms peoples stereotypes of really camp men/ really butch women.

I can understand why they happen, I just feel people only see the pros instead and none of the cons.

13. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to go, but never have.

English isn't phonetic. Just saying.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVE the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras.

I love it so much i want to be involved next year.

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I actually thought EXACTLY the same until very recently.

The history behind the pride parades is actually really interesting and very meaningful if you look into it. Its not just some random thing that some random people decided to do just to have fun. It had a significance and it brought a whole community for the first time when it was made.

I will admit some people can be super sexual and the throwing of condoms everywhere is kind eh in my books, but I freaking love everything else about it.

Being sorrounded by thousands of LGBT gay people around you is one of those feelings that you really can't get any other way.

If you have only seen a parade on TV or in pictures then I suggest you at least go to one. Just one. Television and pictures only show the half naked people and the drags. They don't show the old mothers marching for their sons, the gay veterans, the kids marching with their parents, the local GSA's, the local business supporting the even, etc.

So, yes. I have actually really learned to love the pride parades :slight_smile:

16. SlickyPants

I personally love Pride parades/festivals. I went to my first one 4 years ago and was really nervous. I had just come out of the closet to a few close friends but was wasn't entirely comfortable with certain people knowing. I finally decided to go and it was one of the greatest feelings in the world. I felt empowered and for one day that year I didn't feel like I was alone. I've made it a point to go every year since.

Personally I find the parade to be more symbolic than anything. I usually meet up with some friends and hit the beer tent (cold beer + shade = pure bliss on a hot day) and watch the concert they have. This year they have Martha Wash headlining (of It's Raining Men fame).

Every city is going to be different of course but I've always had positive experiences. I even met some friends I hadn't seen in a while there which is always a good thing.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble.

One the plus side, if you were to spot somebody you knew then you could almost guarantee that they'll be supportive because why else would they be there. :slight_smile:

17. I've been to the Cooper Young Festival in Memphis, but that was a little different. I want to go to one soon. Does anyone know of any in Memphis, Los Angeles or Mississippi/Birmingham this year? I would really love to go with my gf.

18. Just Passing

I know about the Birmingham Gay Pride and have been asked to go, but I've never really been interested and chances are I won't ever go. No offence to anyone who loves it and fine by me if they like going, but I don't think I could ever be comfortable with such a thing, but then again my opinions on everything is so hypocritical nowadays. :grin:

First thing is that I'm not out like the people I know who go, so would feel slightly uncomfortable going in that state of mind, second is that there's something so preachy about it that I think the best way to get acceptance from others is to not throw it in their face and third, like -Michael- said, not big up the stereotypes that the majority have speculated about the LGBT community.

19. Lolguy

I can honestly say that I'm not all that interested in it. Then again, I'm not too interested in much.

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been for the last four years, and I do enjoy it. Yeah, it's over-the-top and people say it's all about the stereotypes, but all you have to do is look around and see thousands of people who are all over the spectrum, from the drag queens and semi-naked people you see on the thirty-second news clips, to students in uniform, police, PFLAG parents, you name it. I don't think pride parades are all about perpetuating stereotypes - to me, they seem to do the opposite and show that there are as many different ways of being queer as there are people who are queer.