1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Obese Is Not a Disability

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, May 30, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to post the actual post in my blog maybe, as I feel what I have to say could be potentially seen as malicious and I really don't want EC to have to delete this thread if the case turns out to be that, nor do I wish to cause any sort of bad fight. (OR potentially get banned though I'm not attacking anyone on the site at all.)

Though I do have to ask, how do you feel about the idea that people who are obese, we're talking like the ones who have mounds of fat on their body, that goes past the belt lines and are maybe also the people who take those scooters just to get around >_> What do you think?

Disclaimer: Please take my words with a grain of salt, I myself am overweight with a bmi of like 25.50...so I am classified as overweight and do have a bit of a gut. And I know it's because of what I eat, so I'm at fault too, but to get to the point of having to use a scooter just to move? I think that's a bit far...especially when they like sue restaurants for "making them fat" or amusement parks for "not letting me on the ride". But like I said, this is just how I feel...

2. Rikudo

I'm pretty much with you on this Revan. Although I'm a big guy I use my size in sports people who just sit around and eat have nobody to fault but themselves. They made the conscious choice to pursue that life style so it's nobodies fault but theirs for letting themselves reach such proportions.

3. djt820

If obesity is linked to genetics and part of the environment that can't be controlled by said person, then yes, that's a disability out of their control. Most working people don't have the time and especially the money to have a healthy lifestyle.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh please, using the idea of obesity and genetics is just a way to make it seem more plausible to be fat. Even if it is in their genetics, then here's an idea, work at your body to keep it at least manageable. And using the excuse of time and money? Pfft. If you don't have money, then don't go to the gym, instead use techniques found on the internet to at least keep your heart healthy, or if need be RUN! And if you don't have the time? Well then wtf is taking so much time that you can't even take 20 minutes to try and help keep healthy? I hated gym in high school, but even now I still run or walk or jog whenever I can. Even if I can't necessarily burn off the gut, I can at least keep my health healthy by working on it. If it's in your genetics and you say "oh I'm genetically overweight" or something like that, then work on it. Even if it might not CHANGE your body, you can at least change your health and not wind up say...having to use a scooter to freaking walk >_>

5. Eric

You're probably right, but those scooters look like so much fun. :grin:

6. djt820

Oh please, obviously you're no doctor so you cannot make claims debunking genetics in any way. And maybe in your world, people have time to exercise but all people are different and many people have long hours and they have kids. This is probably why many married couples get fat. Also, people cannot afford to eat healthy. Organic food is terribly expensive and though it hasn't been completely confirmed, studies are undergoing that are linking High Fructose Corn Syrup and other chemical additives that are in our food today to obesity.

You're wrong.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes saying I'm wrong clearly makes me wrong. Just as saying you're wrong makes you wrong. I'm not saying genetics is wrong, I know that weight is determined by genetics, but I'm saying those who don't work at it at least a bit and wind up like say...this:

[​IMG]

I personally would say that it's their own fault. If you're at least eating healthy (which I am not talking organic food, I'm just talking healthy food!) then there's nothing preventing you from at least being healthy.

8. djt820

This is where you're wrong. Healthy food, even if it's not organic is more expensive. An item off the dollar-menu is cheaper than buying healthy food from a store, or a restaurant. Like I said before, people DO NOT HAVE TIME to exercise because of a job and their kids. I'm sorry you can't understand this concept. This is doubly bad when genetics makes it harder for them to lose weight as well.

You're picking on a very small minority. There's a difference between obese people and morbidly obese people. What you're doing, though, is rude; especially your above post.

9. wherewulfe

BMI isn't really a good classification for what is considered overweight. I knew a guy back in high school who was a star athlete football player. Guy was absolutely jacked and could crush me with his hands if pleased. according to his BMI, he was obease

10. RaRa

That may be so, but everyone's changed to a more sedentary lifestyle with ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Why walk and give the person at the office a report when you can just fax or e-mail it? If people actually cared even just a little they could do something as minor as that. It's pretty sickening.

Anyways I don't even go to a gym, I do my exercising at home, but I'm sure even the busiest individual could incorporate a quick 20 minute workout into their day 2 or 3 times a week. You're making it seem like a workout needs to take hours.

11. djt820

That's getting really, really specific and might even be against protocol at the job in some cases. So I wont go into that debate.

12. Giorria

Giorria Guest

My Sister's Father-in-law had his stomach stapled this year, yes he was a big guy but I don't believe he was near needing to have it done. He is now forced to take nutritional suppliments for the rest of his life, by not doing so he could lead to vitimin/iron deficiancy. He has lost tons of weight but this was by no means a quick fix, a lifetime of supplements is not what he wanted.

I don't believe that weight issues are caused by genetics, I believe its peoples lack of self control over food. I used to weigh more then I do now, I lost the weight by stopping myself from indulging in various foods/junk. There are some people that really don't have the time to exercise but too many people use that or kids as an excuse, I think that they assume that they have to be doing it for hours each day when just a small amount 2-3 times a week can make a big difference.

Also as mentioned above BMI calculators are often way out and they can't really show how healthy you are. Healthier food is more expensive, generally you have to create a meal out of it when other foods you can just throw in the oven/microwave and not have much hassle over it. These days most people want the easiest option with food, regardless of how healthy it is.

13. TraceElement

Easy change 1: Instead of whipping off an email to someone in the office, walk to their desk.
    Easy change 2: Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs.
    Easy change 3: If you have a lunch break, try and get a group of coworkers and walk for the last 10 minutes of lunch. Chat while you walk instead of sitting at a table or desk.

It's all about the little things, my friend. While these are not designed to replace a work out, they are little things that can burn a few extra calories here and there that someone may not have burned other wise.

Eating wise, a few simple changes.
    1. Have a stash of Fiber One bars (or other high fiber bar) in your desk/car/bag for a quick snack at work instead of a candy bar or chips from the vending machiene. Comprable cost but better nutrition.
    2. On the weekend, wash your fruits and veggies and put them in baggies so as you are leaving for work, you can take them with you. Just as easy as grabbing a bag of chips.
    3. If you have to eat out, sub a side salad with light dressing or vinegar/oil type thing for fries.

14. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Some people do have it harder than others. Some people really do have bad genetics and slower metabolisms and physical ailments that prevent them from exercising on a consistent basis that works for them--but that just means that they must be more diligent with their diets. You don't have to eat organic to stay slim. Smaller portions are key.

I used to be very overweight when I was younger because I just didn't care. I hated to work, I hated to walk, I hated to run and I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I started dieting and lost 50 pounds and now I run three times a week to stay fit. It's not that difficult.

I saw a quote a while ago and it really did hit me at my core. You'll feel the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret. I don't care how tired you are, how busy you think you are, make the time to stay healthy and eat right and you won't regret it. If you don't care at all about your health there is a very good chance that 30+ years from now you'll be trying to overcome diabetes and you'll be living with high blood pressure. Your kids, your spouse, they're the ones that are going to suffer because of your choices. When you drop dead from a heart attack they're the ones that are going to be left alone to pick up the pieces.

15. Ridiculous

Genetics can only be used as an excuse for being overweight to a certain, small degree. Energy doesn't come from nowhere; you have to be consuming more energy than you expend for any to be stored as excess fat.

Additionally I think that people who say they are genetically predispositioned to find it more difficult to lose weight are exaggerating. It takes the same amount of energy to move the same amount of mass the the same amount of distance - regardless of the body that is doing it. If two people do exactly the same thing for exactly the same amount of time and exactly the same intensity then they are burning exactly the same amount of energy - that's how thermodynamics works.

And I guarantee that every person who is overweight can change several things that will make them healthier AND be cheaper. Replacing all of your drinks with water, for instance. Sure, it may not be as nice.. but that's not the point.

16. Emberstone

Well, there is a distinction between morbidly obese, and obese. the mordibly obese are the ones who have a disability only in that extreme weight hinders their ability to preform some, and at times, all every day tasks.

someone who is simply overweight is not necessarily kept from living a full life. I know people who are overweight, eat right, and are very active. They are fully capable of taking care of themselves, and are highly mobile, and there weight doesnt prove a deterent to living life to its fullness.

Only when your weight prevents you from being able to take care of yourself does it become a disability.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And that is exactly where society has gone wrong. And djt, fact is, I'm not picking on a minority. If it were a minority, less than one-third of America alone would be obese. but guess what, MORE THAN 1/3 of American adults are obese with a BMI of over 30, that is an extreme risk to health. And if you've been reading you'd realize I'm not necessarily just talking about outward appearance, I'm talking health wise. The people in the scooters? Their obesity has gotten to the point where THEY CAN'T WALK and why? Because they've been lazy, gone with the foods you said take less time, and therefore have caused their health to deteriorate. You can say I'm being rude by going after obese and morbidly obese, but the tie in is we're not talking just morbidly obese, we're talking obesity as a whole. Yeah sure, there's almost 7 billion people on the planet, but the fact 300,000 die each year because of obesity, that Type 2 Diabetes accounts for 80% of the health problems in obese people? That there are 61.3 MILLION people in USA alone who are obese?

I'm sorry, but with numbers like that? Yeah I don't think I'm picking on a "minority" at all. And with the way we're going, that 30% is eventually going to change to 35, 40, 50%?! If we don't start eating at least a bit healthier? We don't have to worry about an asteroid hitting us in 2036, or just regular old dying of old age, many of us are going to die from being obese, why? Because in this world, we're too damn lazy to exercise, eat healthy, and stave off junk food.

Sorry djt, you can call me rude and insulting all you want, but until I see a change in obesity statistics, it's their own fault for getting to that point. Yes there's a slight difference between obesity and morbidly obese like Ember said, though I still wouldn't call it a disability...but they got to that point BY not exercising, not taking care of themselves, taking the lazy root, because "it was easier".

You've seen The Biggest Loser, you've seen how many people have lost the weight and many are professionals with not a lot of time on their hands. But they got to where they were in the finale and where they are now, by continuing to work on it even after the show, by making time for it. Don't give me the crap about people having no time. Even if you work a 9 to 5 job, you STILL can have time...

#17 Revan, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  18. Emberstone

actually, you are way off. You are forgetting something called "metabolism". Everyone's body has its own rythems, and the processes are unique to each person.

For example, I have been struggling my whole life with a high metabolisem. I eat constantly, and because of my body, I have to do so just to maintain myself. It has always been this way. I have a hyper-active metabolism, so I burn through my fuel faster.

It comes down to the ability of the body to process the fuel it is burning, and everyone has their own metabolism.

it is wrong to say that everyone burns fuel at the same rate, because medically, it is not true.

For example. the more muscle you have on your frame, the faster your burn through the fat stores. its basic biology.

19. Shevanel

In what way does this affect you?

(I'm curious about the answer, not explaining my own views on this topic.)

EDIT: Let me rephrase this.

In what way does the way obese people live their lives affect you?

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend, it's quite simple, I am a human being, they are human beings, and I hate seeing people ruining their lives due to their weight. I hate seeing people going through the pain and the hurt because they're worried that they won't be around to see their children graduate or get married or have kids of their own. And I am affected by it because I am so sick and tired of people saying there was nothing they could've done to improve their life!