1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you lost your faith when you accepted yourself as GLBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JudasKissedHIM, Jun 3, 2011.

1. JudasKissedHIM

When I was younger I used to believe that being gay is a sin, but as I got older I came to realise it really isn't a choice (god I really tried to make myself straight when I was younger) and I came to the conclusion since I know for a fact it’s not a sin, the Bible & God might not be as factual as I believed it to be. Has this happened to anyone else??

2. Raeil

I didn't lose my Chritian faith, but I did have to step back from the Bible as being 100% true and infallible as written, since if I had taken the whole thing as true I'd be sinning by just being gay and I'd also have to believe a whole mess of things which are also untrue (7-day creation, young earth, etc.) I had already stopped believing the other things were true, so it wasn't horribly difficult to dig into the context provided behind the Scriptures and realize that the literalist interpretation of homosexuality was simply not right.

Of course, this research doesn't help me that much anymore, as I abandoned the faith for other reasons three months later... ah well, now I have a great argument for all my Christian friend (and believe me, I have a ton of them...)

3. Holmes

It preceded it in my case. I properly felt I was an atheist at 20, that I was gay at 22, though I'd gone through different thoughts on both for years before then.

If you ask me honestly, I see no good reason for accepting taking there to be any factual basis in the creeds of any of the world religions, and I think life, the universe and everything, including the richness of humanity, wondrous enough without recourse to a creator. But I understand that religion means a lot to seem people, so I don't rail against it.

4. Shevanel

Not at all.

5. Just Passing

I didn't have any connections to religion in the first place, but I guess I had faith in life, but I didn't loose any faith at all. Just confusion, but nothing horrible personally.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was very religious to being with and as I got older saw all the hypocrisy behind it, I kind lost faith in having faith. Being gay had nothing to do with it.

7. steel03

Nope, I love hot dish and lefse too much to stop being Lutheran. But seriously, no. My denomination had taken a lot of steps to include homosexuals as fully as everyone else.

8. aidan

it was so long ago now and i can barely remember, but i think that my sexuality was one of the factors in becoming sceptical of religion which lead to my eventual deconversion

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I just used logic as I got older to realize (at least, all of the world's current religions) are made up. I can't rely on blind faith I need some proof. "God either doesn't exist, or he just doesn't give a fuck." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But, idk, I bet being gay helped me realize somewhat and not allow myself to be brainwashed. But, there are plenty of self hating gay Christians. If being gay was the only factor in gays becoming atheist there wouldn't be any. So I think we can all give ourselves some credit for being logical and not just say it's because we were gay. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which I need to get myself excommunicated from the catholic church.

#9 Austin, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  10. jony8472

I've found that my faith has been strengthening as I'm getting older. I've always known I was unstraight but when I was young I was very skeptical about christianity (I used to be the annoying kid who spouted science facts to the RE teacher). I've always followed the Bible as more of a general guide on how to live as a good person, and follow the messages layed out therein.

On a side note, I hate it when I'm with a bunch of GLBT and they pay the hell out of religion (I realise the pun... I just don't know if it's intended or not). I just want to scream at them - 'How would you feel if your religious friends were treating your sexuality the same way?'

11. Fiddledeedee

I have not lost my faith, and I hope I don't, and I think my parent's break-up has helped me know that God does love me and my church is very supportive. I already took the Bible "with a pinch of salt" and I have been bullied before so if I am when I come out, I hope to be able to deal with it.

12. Rikudo

I was never religious to begin with so you can't lose what you never had.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever happened to: if your a decent person with a good heart you go to Heaven?

14. x2x2x2x2y2

I was never strong in my religion, so I didn't really lose anything when I figured all of it out. Now, I don't think I believe in religion or any of that, but I'm still not sure.

Either way, I know there are LGBT's that are out and proud that still have faith in religion.

15. Charme

Charme Guest

Nope, I found it.

16. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    No. It might be worth noting, however, that I've been pretty mellow about religion my whole life. As a young child, my parents taught me to believe that the Bible was not meant to be taken literally.

17. Porphyrogenitus

Nope. I just became somewhat heretical, I guess - ie. I ceased to accept what the Church was saying about homosexuality.

18. Markio

I was brought up Catholic--went to Catholic school up until college. I was confirmed and everything. Since coming to college and coming out, I still be believe in God, and Jesus' teachings kind of.

Mainly I've lost faith in other Christians. When I find out people are Christian, I have trouble trusting that they will like me and my sexual orientation. Or rather, I think they will like me as a person but then vote against gay rights politically, sending two conflicting messages to me about what they believe.

It's not really fair to the gay-affirming Christians out there that I do this. I don't want to project my anger at a group based on assumptions, or else I'm just like the ignorant people who condemn homosexuality. Ideally I'd like to stop rejecting people before they reject me. So far I have one straight male Christian friend. It's a start. :/

19. AtmaWeapon

Not when first coming out. I agree with those who say it has nothing to do with sin. However, the general attitude of the church and Christians has disgusted me so much that I have come to the point where I find religion to be mostly useless and destructive and stupid and really want nothing to do with it.

So witnessing the depths of ignorance on account of how the Bible is interpreted and how much destruction and homophobia is bred by the church and is fanned by Christians who don't care about how they are hurting real people to follow their Bible is enough to make me want nothing to do with such unethical and stupid mindsets.

So I have lost my faith but it's not about when I accepted myself. It was more about accepting the facts that Christians don't want to repent or start caring and tend to be too stuck in their own world view to really give two shits about doing good and finding the truth.

In some years, most Christians will open their brains and will have caught up with those like Rembert Truluck who was a brilliant man who understood the Bible and Jesus better than anyone I have ever heard of, but it still sickens me beyond belief how irresponsible most Christians are and what evil they will commit because they think it means being faithful to the Bible.

#19 AtmaWeapon, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  20. MsShelf

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I "lost" my faith at about the same time as I came out to myself, but I don't think that either one caused the other. It was more like I finally allowed myself to question things I had tried to push out of my mind for a long time. For a long time I was in denial about my religious beliefs and my orientation. I didn't want to think about them, because if I did, they might become more real. Eventually, I allowed myself to question everything I'd been told growing up, and to come to my own conclusions.