1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions - To parents, when/how/did you guess that your son/daughter was gay..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

And, for everybody else, do you think your parents know you are?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Re: Two questions - To parents, when/how/did you guess that your son/daughter was gay

My parents did not realise I was gay at all until I told them. Which seems odd as there were several clues which my sister picked up on.

However this was nearly 20 years ago and my parents generation were less aware of homosexuality (other than the camp characters on TV and the homophobic crap in the papers then) than people today. Also they lived in a town on the south coast which had no gay scene or any sort of gay presence.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Re: Two questions - To parents, when/how/did you guess that your son/daughter was gay

I really didn't suspect anything until high school. I tried to deny it so I was constantly talking myself out of those thoughts. However, one day a friend came over who used to babysit my children when they were little. We were looking at home videos of my daughters' birthday. She loved to sing country music so we bought her this really cute little country looking skirt, top and boots and a guitar. My son takes it from her and starts dancing around the house with it. We all started laughing and my friend says "why didn't we know then?" :roflmao:

However, in my own journey I was very interested in homosexuality and transgender people and often educated myself about these topics. Maybe that is why it was easier for me to be so accepting than it is for some parents.

4. Jeimuzu

Becky, will he ever forgive you for posting that little story on the internet? :wink:

My parents haven't the foggiest. I'm pretty damn sure of that. My sister knows, my eldest brother knows, and my other brother... well, I keep chickening out of telling him for some reason. I really have to soon. *sigh*

5. Zec24

Well I thought my parents knew since my dad asked me if I was gay in High School. I completely freaked out when he did and denied it. But to be honest, at the time I had never really thought of myself as gay, I just knew I had crushes on some girls, but I thought that was normal.

When I came out to my parents last year they said they had no idea (I have a hard time believing that though). My sister said it crossed her mind once or twice, but she never really cared either way.

6. xequar

My mom says she knew when I was 12, and my dad said he also knew. Despite that, my mom still had some issues when I finally came out...

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Sure he will! Shhh..........:roflmao:

8. Tom

Tom Guest

my parents didnt really have time to wunder if i was gay or not as i kinda told em way sooner than mst ppl so, but when i did tell em it wasnt more shocked that i was gay but more shocked tha i was 12, had the courage to tell them there and then and then just get on with w/e i was doing at the time. but they did suspect i was str8 for a time being as i am the stereotypical guy most of the time, its only when i come on here i get bitchy lol

9. xxAngelOnFirexx

well when i came out to my mom (the first person i ever came out too) i had just told her that i cut. i had told her about the cutting that it was somethign she never did and she wouldn't understand. well she guessed and she said she used to. "well" i said i know something about me that you never had" she replied "you're gay." i was like "yeah how did you guess!" and she didn't really think i was i believe but it didn't surprise her at all. well for my dad he didn't beleive me the first time i told him. i think it was the second or third time when i went into detial about relizing things from as early an age as 8 he finally beleived me.

10. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Homosexuality runs in the family so nobody cares. My parents don't care what anyone's sexuality is as long as it's consensual and legal. I think my dad still might think I am going through a phase even though I've been out for four years, and who knows. We both agree that people can change. I won't, but I understand how he thinks.

11. pirateninja

My mom guessed. I don't know when though. But luckily her guessing made it a hell of a lot easier for her to accept it. My dad had no clue however and just thought (and still does) that I'm going through a phase.

12. xequar

Funny thing about parents is they can be damn observant, and I'm sure that my parents know about way more of the stuff I pulled as a kid than I would ever suspect.

Like I mentioned before, my mom knew from when I was 12. We were talking about my cousin the other day. We were always really close as kids, and we're still close now. A couple of years ago, he had entered the seminary only to drop a year later. He's never come out to the family, but he has come out to me. So, my mom was asking me about him, and out of nowhere, she made a comment about his being gay being the reason he left the seminary. I naturally asked how she knew about that, and her reply was, "Oh please, I knew he was gay as long as I've known you are gay."

Like I said, parents are damn observant.

13. SpikySpice

I let my dad know, but not my mom, im 100% sure mom dont knwo anything since she is far away from me liek half the Equator of the Earth

Dont mind if dad knows, cuz he dropped too many hints anyway, but scared if mom dose

14. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I came out to my mom a week ago and asked her if she had suspected. She said no, not at all, never!! :lol:

15. Psychedelic Bookmarks

my dad once said he "knows" i'm not gay. i don't think my mum has any idea. =[ everytime i come home and she's quiet or upset about something i get scared she's somehow found out :S

16. Louise

I never had the slightest idea, never once thought about it. My son had a girlfriend that he 'seemed' very in love with, he was kind, attentive, thoughtful... everything a girl could ask for. So when he told me BAFFF sledgehammer to the head!:lol:

17. Astaroth

I think my parents probably know (my mother has found a love letter I wrote to a boy back in highschool I think) and until I was 16 I didn't know how to clear out Internet history, so that pretty much damned me when I went to any gay-friendly chat rooms. In fact, my mother confronted me once and said "Are you gay?" to which I couldn't respond at all. I wasn't really out of the closet even to myself all that much yet, so I just sat there for a minute in silence and then left. I'm still going to come out to my parents officially, but I'm pretty much certain they already know.

18. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

As far as I know my parents don't know or suspect that I am a lesbian. but that doesn't surprise me even though I'm sure there are little clues since my Mum at least is so homophobic she wouldn't notice even if I told her straight to her face she would just ignore the fact completely.

19. Ty

Ty Guest

Woops, forgot to check this!

I think my mum suspects me, since shes caught me looking at men on the computer and she calls me gay (in a sort of fun insult sort of thing, if that makes sense) hehe

20. emerald

Well I think it should have been terribly obvious. The only reason I watched Barney was for this little girl named Kathy, I never played with Barbies, I hated dresses, all that fun stuff.
    But I guess they didn't have much time to consider it, because I came out when I was 12. But they both said they already knew, though they're still saying it's a phase.
    Parents are so weird.