1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong to have a preference?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EndlessMusic, Jun 7, 2011.

1. EndlessMusic

EndlessMusic Guest

I was having a chat the other day, and the topic of boy preference came up
    where i would only date an asian guy, then it got into an argument about how i'm racist
    won't give any other "race" a chance etc.
    and then went on about how because i'm asian, that i'm being single minded
    and being stereotypical (clinging onto one race)
    so like, what do you think? am i really being single minded judgemental? etc.
    it's nothing personal, it's just that i prefer just asian guys
    sorry if i offend anyone by saying this...

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you have a boyfriend, you'll probably prefer him over all other guys in the world!!! How's that for discrimination? 99,99999% of people in the world should be outraged at such rampant sexism, racism and many other -isms! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Meanwhile, seriously, I don't think you're single-minded here. You just like the people you like. Some people like blond hair over black, others like smaller people over larger, and just like that, some people just like different tones in skin or facial structure.
    And you can't force yourself to fall in love with the occasional caucasian and black guy just for political correctness :wink:

Then again, I have so far only crushed on caucasian guys, so maybe I'm just horribly single-minded too :icon_wink

3. Ben

Ben

Is it sexist not to be attracted to women?
    Is it ageist not to be attracted to people over 95?
    Is it sizeist not to be attracted to people over/under a certain weight?
    Is it speciesist to not be attracted to goldfish?

etc.

YES!

I mean… no :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Attraction varies from person to person.

4. Idonteven

exactly, what one person finds attractive, another may not. I don't see anything wrong in preference and wouldn't find offence in it. Every likes different things, each to their own I say :slight_smile: If you would only date asians, you'd only date asians. That doesn't make you racist.

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is not wrong to have a preference.
    It is wrong if you only date within a certain race because you are legitimately racist towards all other races.

6. Rikudo

Nope everybody has their own preferences.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like that person is over sensative and needs to get over themself.

No nothing is wrong with liking a certain race, you crave what you crave, you're not burning a cross on anyone's lawn.

8. Totoro

Everyone has preferences :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's just a matter of how picky you are. But it's natural. And also, naturally you think your boyfriend is the greatest of them all xP

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the difference lies in the fact that you are saying you are generally mainly attracted to other asian guys, just like someone that says I like my men tall, dark and handsome. Where the problem would come in is if you said I point blank wouldnt date a guy unless he was asian or I wouldnt date an English man because I dont like them.

10. AtmaWeapon

I don't think it's racist. Date who you want to date and don't date who you don't want to date. Sure, open-mindedness is very good, but preferences are fine, as well, especially when it's just a preference. It's the same as saying "I'm not really attracted to super skinny people, blonds, etc."

11. Flyers2011

It's not racist. I have my preferences, you have yours. As long as you're not rejecting people by saying, "You're black so you're not good enough to date me. You suck," you're not being racist. You like what you like.

12. Skiel

Skiel Guest

No. You can have preferences for food so why not people? As long as you are not saying another race is inferior or superior then it's not racist.

13. Raeil

I'll add to the chorus of no's! What type of person you are attracted to and discriminatory behavior/thinking are totally different things!

I'll use me as an example (non-PC example approaching). I'm attracted to white guys. Why? I don't know, I just am. I don't treat my non-white friends any differently because of their skin tone, so... yeah, not racist. I suppose I'm also open to the idea that I could be attracted to a non-white guy, but only marginally more so than I'm open to the idea that I could be attracted to a women

(Although, I do ascribe to the belief of our friends on Avenue Q that "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" sometimes)

14. Markio

I agree with the above statement. On a related note, here's a video with one perspective on the distinction between preference and prejudice: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1bYpKKmbvE[/YOUTUBE]

Also, I don't like when others assume that my "type" is a choice. This one girl thought it was so "nice" of me to be attracted to heavier men, whom are typically portrayed as unattractive. I'm not trying to do anyone a favor, it's just how I naturally feel! :eusa_doh:

#14 Markio, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just....wow....your friend.....ugh. Personally I think anyone who actually THINKS that someone not preferring a different race means you're racist kind of has no brains. I'm just saying, just because you don't get butterflies for a white guy as you would an Asian, doesn't mean you're racist, it just means you know what you like. I mean hmmm if you look around the world, while yes there are many interracial couples, why yes, the majority are couples together with the same or at least similar races. (By this I mean someone who is say white and they're with someone who's Hispanic. (Please don't take this as me being racist :confused:))

16. x2x2x2x2y2

Honestly, most of the guys I like are white or mainly white. I've never been attracted to an asian person or a black person. I just don't find them attractive, and I can't change this.

I'm usually not attracted to mexican people either, yet I myself am mexican. >__< lol

So no, I don't think it's racist or anything.

17. 507bro

lol i'm on the same boat, i'm attracted to Asian and i'm Asian myself.

#17 507bro, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  18. Enaithor

I don't think it's racist per se, but say a really sexy black man comes along what do you do

Personally, I'm most attracted to whites and Orientals, but I really don't rule out others e.g. blacks and Asians, it's just that I don't find as many of them attractive

19. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel awful when I say that I'm not really into black guys. It's usually white guys and girls, and black girls and latina girls. But I think it's because I've never met/seen an attractive black guy before, but if I do I'm not going to say "Yeah, he's black. Not interested." I'd be more "Oh awesome! :wink:" Haha.

Same with my friend, she doesn't really find white guys attractive, and she prefers black guys, doesn't make her racist towards her own race. :lol:

20. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

What it comes down to for me is that there are certain body types and facial features that I find more sexy that others, and they are much less common in certain races than others. Among my least preferred race, I have seen a few people who made me say, "Hot damn, hello!", and they were people with those facial features or body types.