1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Car help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hydrogen, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Hydrogen

Ok.. So after the wreck I am re-considering my personal vehicle, a ford escape. Any ideas for a person with a limited budget? I was looking at the Chevy Tahoe online.. and I might be able to scrape the payment together for an 04-05...

However, I think I may just be going crazy, as a Tahoe is huge.. What is a real safe small car or SUV?

2. Levi

Levi Guest

A vespa 50cc. Lol.. I'm not much help am I.. but that's what I drive and I'm happy with it.

3. pirateninja

Any car is better than one my mom's found. A £300 used Daewoo. :frowning2: Seeing as I can legally start learning to drive in just over a month, I need to find a better car than that beforehand so I'm not a complete laughing stock.

4. Hydrogen

Just talked to my mom, she said I should get an old Volvo and paint it hot pink. (if you know me, I hate pink, and boxy cars)

She and Tyler thought it was funny. Me, not so much.

5. Jim1454

You're driving an Escape now and looking to trade it in?

I prefer to drive a car over a truck - but that's me. I have a Volvo, which are known for their passenger safty systems.

I would think you've seen enough highway accidents by now to know which kind of vehicles are safer than the others, just based on which ones allow the driver to 'walk away' vs. be carried away... I heard a story about a Volvo wagon that rolled a couple of times, yet the door still opened and the driver was able to simply step out! That's enough of a sales pitch to send me back to the Volvo dealer the next time. I love my wagon (not quite as much as my TT, but it's up there!)

What accidents have you been at where you've been shocked that the passengers weren't more seriously hurt, and what were they driving?

6. Hydrogen

Well I'm thinking about that aswell.. But my experience has just confused me more. After seeing "safety" cars like a BMW, or Volvo VS. Train accidents, and many, many Simi-Truck VS. Cars, every time I look at a car, I can visually see a hunk of twisted rubble from scenes I have been at for every car.

What I do know, is
    - No Kia or smiler, I have seen too many people die in low speed wrecks.
    - No Small SUV, like Escape, as they roll too much, and you may survive, but I don't need anymore "recovery" time.

But them again, I have seen wrecks where the driver is very lucky, car crumpled, fire, etc and they walk away..

If I could afford it, a big hummer would suite me.

I am thinking a dodge charger might be nice, but I haven't seen enough evidence to say they are safe enough.

7. Hydrogen

8. 24601

Well, from what I've heard, the absolute safest cars are Volvos. But a new one will be expensive, and the station wagons are kinda... I dunno. My friends parents made him get a Volvo Station Wagon, it has horrible gas mileage, was expensive even used, but I kinda like it. The new cars that Volvo makes have safety features all over them almost to a ridiculous extent. How many times are you really going to be getting nailed by a train?

I'm not big on the Tahoes... they're just way too big. But if you're looking for a big safe car/SUV... well, I dunno, it would work.

Volkswagen Jettas are pretty cheap and do well in crash-tests, as do most other Volkswagen cars (except Beetles). They're a good alternative to Volvos or the big cars.

I realize you just had that horrible accident, but it's really hard to get a car that will absolutely survive anything you throw at it. A lot of cars are as safe as cars on today's market can be. If you want the high tech safety features, you're probably going to have to cough up a lot of money for one of the more luxury cars.

I'd like to see a car pass the meteor crash test. :icon_twis

Edit: And here's a link to a site that compares safety ratings if you haven't already found it: http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/volvo/idx.htm

9. xequar

Really, most cars out there today are reasonably safe. A Chevy Tahoe is a safe vehicle, but it's ridiculously huge and the gas mileage is inexcusably bad. Most small SUVs (ala Escape, CR-V, Rav-4, et cetera) are pretty safe, and since they're car-based, they're far less likely to roll than you'd think. I mean, in the right conditions, you can get any car to roll.

Depending upon what you can afford, you should consider looking into something like a used Ford Taurus or a used Buick LeSabre. Both were 5-star rated cars, and I personally can attest to how safe a Buick LeSabre is. The best part is, both of them are very mechanically reliable, as well.

If you're looking for a small SUV, consider a Honda CR-V or Honda Element. I drive an Element (well, as soon as I can push a clutch pedal again), and I love it, and it's a 5-star rated car. The CR-V is the same vehicle with more features and carpet, so it's also 5-star rated.

And if you're really concerned about something you're thinking of buying, go online to a site like edmunds.com and look at their reviews for a particular vehicle. Unless you're buying something really aged, you should be able to find some information about it on the internet somewhere.

Good luck with your search!

10. Levi

Levi Guest

yea.. I get that.. as I said in my first post in this thread (which should have been my last post as well btw) I'm not gonna offer much help here.. sry.

11. Hydrogen

Thank you for the information, I had not even considered Volkswagen, and I don't recall any deadly wreck with one. It is on the A list now.

Most people don't really think it is going to happen the first time... :slight_smile:

#12 Hydrogen, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007