1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I realized something today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lolguy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Lolguy

(Posted here because it's not really anything I need support or help with.)

First off, my High School career is done. Graduation ceremony is on Sunday, so I suppose that's when I've "officially" graduated, but I'm done.

Anyways, today, I realized something. All of these friends that I've made in high school, all of these people I looked up to, or thought I cared about, they mean absolutely nothing to me anymore. One of my "friends" said a pretty dickish comment to me today, and instead of trying to find out what was wrong, I just told him to fuck off and cut off all contact with him. I haven't even given it a second thought.

And this has gone on for several people tonight. I realize how much I actually don't care about them and just end up telling them to fuck off, or just say "fuck you." I've just stopped caring about them because I know I'm going on to bigger and better things. It feels like I'm just taking unwanted things and tearing them out of my life. It's not even bittersweet, it's enlightening.

I don't know, is this normal, or have I just downright snapped?

2. Rikudo

Pretty much normal lol welcome to the rest of your life.

I've kinda lost contact with alot of folks now(been about a month since graduation). I don't miss alot of them.

One last thing to add as well I had a similar moment today as I realized that all the people that I'd had hated and couldn't stand were now gone...FOREVER! It was feeling of relief.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As long as this isn't happening with most or all of your friends, it's not atypical of ending high school. I myself keep in contact with few of the friends I had in high school. From what I've heard from others, it's pretty typical to realize that your high school friends weren't that great after you've graduated, though for most people, it happens once they make friends in college and realize how great their college friends are. The fact that it's happening to you now may be a sign of something to keep a watch on, or it might just be premature enlightenment. Keep in mind, though, you do still have the summer (assuming you're going off to college), so don't cut off contact with all of your friends or you'll find yourself very bored. With that said, graduating high school is definitely a big milestone in life, and thus it's a great excuse to get rid of unwanted baggage, whether that baggage be in your social life or elsewhere.

4. Keelin

^and... On your twentith high school reunion, you can sit there awkwardly and remember your final moments together :slight_smile:

5. steel03

YUP that's what happens! It's amazing how little high school means after you finish it, isn't it? Now you get to go make your own choices, make your own friends, make your own life. I've only really kept in contact with two of my high school friends, and it's only been a year for me. And the friends I made in college this year are SUPER A LOT much closer than any friends I ever had in high school, and I've only known these guys for a few months.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I walked out of high school for the last time knowing that I would never go out of my way to talk to any of these people again. Two and a half years later, I have occasional contact (contact in this case going no further than a Facebook comment) with exactly one person from high school.

7. Bolin

Hmmm.....again, like always on this site, I'll deviate from the norm. :lol:

I still keep in contact with many of my friends from high school, mostly through Facebook because nearly ALL of them left out of state to go to college (not that I blame them, haha). Besides, my town is pretty small, so groups of friends were pretty tight-knit.

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

No you haven't snapped, it's definitely normal. It's crazy how your life and things change after high school, and how people change. When you're in high school it really does feel like it will be your whole life. Then, once you're out, it's like the mud on your windshield has finally been wiped clean and you see the world for how it really is, clearly, for the first time.

I keep in touch with a lot of my closest friends from high school, we're childhood friends, but like you I too cut people out my life that I just didn't care about anymore. Most friends come and go like seasons. It's just the way it is.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep in touch with several people but not as...active as with my university friends. Tbh I think the only ones I still keep in touch intensively with are two of my best friends from high school, the other two of the Three Musketeers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Yes we called ourselves that. Other than them, the others are generally just a brief "hi" on fb or "Happy Birthday" when it pops up. I just...I frankly am really hoping when it's time for the reunion I can go to it and basically be that guy. The one who is successful beyond belief, because frankly I was the outcast at my school. Moreso than the other outcasts because how to put it. Basically while everyone knew me and treated me nice, they were all people who behind my back treated me like shit. I mean hello, like 30 people created a group back in my final year called "We Hate Sean [lastname] and it's Not Because He's Gay". So yeah, if there's anything I want to do more than anything is return and be the most successful guy there. Not necessarily to show up everyone but more....to show, that it's us outcasts who are the ones who become the most powerful in 20 years. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Hexagon

Me too. Had my last exam today. Not bothering to go back.

Yeah, same here. Its completely normal if you ask me. If you don't wan them in your life for whatever reason, you dont have to have them.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a totally different reaction, actually. I think back of the people in highschool rather fondly.

I was picked on a lot in the first few years (bad at sports, socially awkward, slightly overweight, good at being nerdy... I was an easy target), and through that, I actually made some really good friends who did make an effort to stand by me and hang together in the face of adversity. There's eight or so people I still meat with rather often to gossip and talk about our lives. One of them was even the first one I came out to, even if it was 8 years after highschool.

As highschool passed, I felt much more at ease. The really troublesome kids dropped out, and by the end of senior year, I pretty much got along with 90% of people. I was nearly unanymously voted class president in the last year, so I like to think they didn't totally despise me.

So graduation was basically talking to a lot of people about their plans, wishing them all the best, and vowing to keep in touch... and then promptly forgetting about each other. On occasion when I pass an ex-classmate in town when I'm staying at my mom's place, I do always nod and occasionally exchange a polite "how are you doing these days?"
    Actually, I think I would have done that regardless. Telling people to fuck off seems kind of dangerous. Their bigger and better things might one day meet with your bigger and better things and I don't like alienating people for no reason.

That said, I do share Revan's goal of totally outdoing them and being the most accomplished guy at the reunion dinners. I liked my classmates, but not so much I don't want to show my dominance :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah moving on from HS friends is normal, but not telling them all to fuck off :lol:

13. steel03

I think one reason for this is that you don't generally get to choose where you go to high school, or if you do, you're probably one of the only people at your school. So your friends in high school are more likely just there because they're convenient. When you go to college, every single person there (a) wants to be there and (b) chose your school over every other one. So you start with those things in common, and it makes a gigantic difference.

14. olides84

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just move forward with your life...but don't be an asshole to those you leave behind.

15. Lolguy

I forgot to mention that the "friends" I'm telling to fuck off are the ones I only got along with because I had to be around them on a daily basis. Now that I don't have to, I don't have to pretend to like them anymore.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...that's a bit better.

17. TheRoof

same thing happened to me...i used to have quite a bit of acquaintances that I managed a good relationships with, albeit being a shallow classmate relationship at best, but now that im in college, i basically haven't talked with them for a year now...it's really funny because we used to get along pretty well too. And of course those people whom I really didn't like or didn't hang out, I really don't see any point in keeping touch with them either, and I'm sure they feel the same way too about me. On the other hand, I'm still superclose with 3 or 4 of my closest friends in highschool, and we still talk a lot via text and facebook, and I love them to death! But other than those few, yes I've lost contact with majority of people, and i think that's just a natural course of happening...we're just in a different places in our lives now.

18. Tiny Catastrophe

That happened for me. Most of my friends are people I've known all my life outside of school or people I met after high school (my girlfriend being one of those people). You keep a few people you're close to and the rest just disappear. You're just moving on. Congrats on graduating as well XD

19. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

This thread makes me think, having only one year left of highschool. I am probably going to miss my friends a lot at first, but maybe less after I meet new people in college. But that is a thought I don't really want to think about right now. I'm hoping not to have a FU ending with anybody, even the person I hate the most.

20. Artemicion

Hrm...funky...I feel like the odd one out of ...most of the people who have posted. I keep in contact with ...all my high school AND university friends...and trust me, the connection isn't shallow.