1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Natural sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aidan, Jun 11, 2011.

1. aidan

I just read this and it was kinda cute in a kinda weird way and I think a pretty creative response against the "homosexuality is unnatural" argument many of us hear so often.

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about we stop using "unnatural" and "natural" to mean "normal" and "abnormal" which in turn are used to mean "something I like" and "something I dont like", please?

It really annoys me. :dry:

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This made me laugh, actually the whole article did. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

And if you compare us to the rest of the animal kingdom, we are so weird in so many ways. The diversity amongst species is simply staggering.

4. steel03

"Traumatic insemination" is the second-most unsettling sexual term I've ever heard (after" reproductive collision"). I also enjoyed the bit about duck rape. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. sensitiveguy22

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Ok, I get the point of the article (especially since the very idea of other species having different mating habits was brought to my attention just recently) however what is with all the talk about monogomy?

That has nothing to do with straight, gay, bi, etc am I right? I mean I'd desire a monogomous relationship no matter what my sexuality. I hope it's not suggesting that just because you are not straight you can sleep around as much you want and don't need to be faithful to your partner or something like that. :eusa_naug

#5 sensitiveguy22, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  6. Meropspusillus

Bedbugs are the weirdest.

7. Chandra

I don't think it was associating non-monogamy with non-heterosexuality at all. I think it was more just trying to show that some people's opinion that this-or-that type of sexual behaviour is "unnatural" has no real basis in the natural world.

However, it bears pointing out that there are in fact polyamorous people who suffer the same kinds of moralistic backlash as LGBT, so this could be speaking to their situation, too.

8. Meropspusillus

I don't think it's speaking to any situation. I think it's pointing out how our ideas of what is natural and what isn't is really silly, and doesn't have any place in reality. Our ideas of monogamy are exceptionally unique to humans, and actually quite particular to western culture in general. >_>

9. Chandra

Um, yes... we seem to be agreeing... by "situation" I simply meant the fact that they are also often told that their behaviour is unnatural (or otherwise wrong).

10. Meropspusillus

Yeah. Natural is such a silly word.

11. Hot Pink

But the opponents would just write off this post with, "Humans are a higher, more intelligent species. We should know better than animals."

12. aidan

mhm. and that's why this is a response to when people say we're not natural, not for when people say we're better than nature.