1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Weekend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Flyers2011, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Flyers2011

A friend of mine (who's also gay) invited me to go with her to a local theme park's "Gay Day." Basically a big pride festival surrounded by roller coasters.

I checked my work schedule and I'm off that day :grin:. No big deal. My friend offered to pick me up and drive us there.

I asked my mom and. . .

She said she's not sure. I need to give my friend a definite answer soon. I've known this girl for almost six years. My mom has never met her, but the girl is totally willing to meet my mom before taking me. She's a very sweet girl, she's only a year older than me, and she's awesome.

Any suggestions on convincing my mom I'm not going to get shot or anything? She's concerned for my safety, which I understand and I totally respect, but I've never gone to a pride celebration and I'd love to go with a friend, so I won't be alone. Thanks.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's tough to know what might work on your mother and what won't. For instance, if this were happening in Denver, I'd reference "The People's Fair", a weekend thing they have in the center of Denver with bands playing, booths selling food and stuff, and generally a fun festival-type vibe. Most Denverites are well-aware of the People's Fair even if they've never attended. And the most common nickname for "People's Fair"? "Straight Pride". Not in a mean way, but because, to the casual observer, the People's Fair and PrideFest look remarkably alike. :slight_smile: So if your mother were in Denver, I'd say "Well, you know a lot of people call the People's Fair 'Straight Pride' because it's just like PrideFest, but without the whole gay slant. It's really pretty much that benign." That would probably do well on most folks here.

I think the key thing isn't your company so much as the event itself. I really should be "de-mystified" for her (and you!) to help her understand what sorts of things happen there.

Lex

3. steel03

Is it Cedar Point? Because that's worth it whatever day it is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Flyers2011

Yeah and I haven't been there in years.

My mom's still on the fence so to speak. My friend has offered to come over and meet my mom and everything. I understand her precociousness, but I'm almost an adult dammit. I wanna go to a pride event lol.

5. Lolguy

I totally want to go to this.

Anyways, do what I used to do with my mom when I was younger. First, introduce her to whoever's taking you (in this case, your friend). If she leaves a good impression, that will significantly decrease your mother's stress about letting you go.
    Another good thing to do is promise to check in every now and again. It may seem a bit much, or even something incredibly controlling on your mother's part, but I've found that it works out pretty well. Bring that up and see what she says about it.

6. Flyers2011

I've offered to do both of these things and she's still not sure. I'm giving her a little bit of time before I ask again.

I feel like she's using not knowing my friend as an excuse not to let me go, because she doesn't trust me. That's frustrating because I rarely hang out with friends. Mostly I go to work and do things around the house.

7. steel03

Oh my god I would take lives to go to this, haha. Cedar Point has gotten really amazing over the past couple years.

I really hope you can work this out with your mom. It sounds like she's just a little afraid, and I think you're on the right track. Most important thing is to stay calm at all costs! Be reasonable.

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Continue to ask your mum if you can go but go whether she gives her permission or not.

Tell your friend you're going.

Thats my advice.