1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we too forward?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nerdtendo, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Nerdtendo

I was (re)reading a comical book I had the other day, Larry The Cable Guy: Git-R-Done, when I found a small section on Gays and Lesbians entitled...well, Gays and Lesbians. I'll copy everything down here so those of whom without the book have a referince. (Please note two things. one, the cursing is censored since I make a personal polocie to not curse, and two this isnt mine, it's pure property of Larry the Cable Guy.)

OK look, I couldn't care less who's gay or who's not gay, I couldn't care less if people wanna stick carrots up there a**** and run around the park singing "Looks like chickien tonight." But for God's sake, do I have to hear about gay rights 24 hours a day? Seems like every day it's gay this and gay that. Who gives a d***! Your gay, congratulations! Ya want me to do backflips and start pulling rebbits outta my a** Enough already. I got freinds that like sheep but they dont throw a parade every weekend!
    It's ridiculious. Thease folks act like they're like the dad gum holy grail and better than everybody else. You're not. You're just like me and everybody else except ya own more flannel and have a slight limp. Just last week, I went to the music store in the mall to find the new Jerry Reed live CD for my dad to put on as background music so he could get mom all turned on for their anniversary.
    This store had a Gay and Lesbian music section!
    Good Lord, Jesus, and Elton John! Ya know for a group of folks that say all they want to do is blend, they sure go outta their way to stand out. We already have gay and lesbian music. It's called Adult Contemporary and they have a section for that.
    Look, if your gay, fine. God bless ya, who cares. I dont think it's right but I'm not the Lord and I'll let him deal with it at the end. Gay people are still individuals. Even though I disagree with their lifestyle that dosent mean I cant love them as fellow citizens and be freinds with them. Long as your not an a**hole, more power to ya. Belive me, I'd rather hang out with gay guys than any member of the Kennedys. But do me a favor. Try shutting up about it for at least 10 minutes. I heard ya the first time.

(the rest of this is me again.)

All right, so what is your opinion? Do we flant our orintation about like it's a Holy Hand Gernade, or are we the one's shut in to comformity? My personal take? A bit of both. There isnt exactly a Straight section in the Library...but then again, everything outside the G&L is considered the 'defalt' Straight.

2. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

In a sense, I kind of agree with him. I also can not stand those gays who are constantly reminding everyone that they are gay every 2 seconds. It's like hello, we know you're gay, you don't need to keep reminding everyone. But yeah I hate people who say "Oh I don't have a problem w/ gays, as long as they keep everything behind closed doors." Anywho, who really cares what some redneck hick thinks?

3. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I think we have every right to flaunt ourselves. If you don't support members of your own community, that's fine. But I think it's a gay person's right to flaunt their orientation. Don't like it? just ignore it.

4. Bryan

Gays have to support our selves and fight for our rights, or we will never get them. Look at the black civil rights movement, they had to stand out first before "blending-in". We have to do the same.

5. Fantasmasy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well... If somebody is flamboyantly gay, I don't really care. It's who they are.
    Why should they have to act like something they're not because society labels it as stereotypical of their sexual orientation?
    Same applies for race, gender, etc...

As far as rights go, we don't have them all, so we need to try to do something about it.
    Equal rights for women weren't gotten by laying down, nor were equal rights for African Americans.

But that's just me... :]]

6. SkyTears

In a way he is right. I personally don't like when other gays are like "i'm gay, i'm going to deep this banana" it's like okay i got the picture, i don't need to see. but then again we do need to stand out first to make sure we get equal rights so there are two side to the story in my eyes.

7. nisomer

Well first off, we will stop talking about gay rights when we actually get them. Why the hell shouldn't we be constantly talking about how we are NOT treated equally? The more we talk to others about our rights, the more likely it is we will get them.

Next off, besides gay rights, I don't know what else he wants us to shut up about. Our sexuality? I say we can shut up about our sexuality when straight people shut up about theirs. We can shut up when husbands stop talking about their wives and children. We can shut up when your friends say how "hot" that other person is. We can shut up when men and women stop getting married. Otherwise, I say talk about your gayness as much as you want. Being gay is a natural part of who you are. I should talk about my gayness as much as I talk about my "asian-ness." I should talk about being gay as much as I talk about my love for music. Talking about yourself being gay is another act of showing that you are proud to be yourself. You are proud that you are gay. And if you have such proudness in something, what is wrong with presenting it to others? No one else should be commanding you about which parts of "you" can or cannot be presented to the world. That should always be, our own choice.

8. Rette

Yeah, shutting up about gay rights isn't going to happen. Gay rights never really got very far before people started getting loud about it (Stonewall riots, anyone?)

As for the gay/lesbian music section...to be honest, I actually feel a little offended that a section like that exists...most gays aren't so one dimensional that our music can be classified into a section. I'm pretty sure a "black music" section would be regarded with disdain. But, I digress...So what if companies are trying to market to gays and lesbians? Wow, they're trying to sell music to a demographic, big whoop.

9. Louise

I think if we concerntrated more on human rights we would move things a lot faster. There are people fighting for

Gay rights
    Racial rights
    Rights for the jewish/asian/black/native/etc. american nations
    Religious rights
    Cultural rights
    The right to speak your own language
    The right to have a land of their own (I'm thinking of middle European countries here)
    Rights for handicapped people...
    The list is endless

Everyone fights in their own corner for their own rights when in fact we should all be demanding the same basic rights; the right to live our lives freely without hatred and discrimination with laws to protect everyone black, white, yellow, gay, straight, latino, asian... whatever in the work place and in society. The laws should be the same for everyone.

That is in an ideal world, human nature and its penchant for picking on the under dog and minority groups means that this ideal vision is a utopia we will probably never attain, but that doesn't stop people trying!

10. neverover

im totally agree with nerdtendo. we r gay, so wat? thats why im not really excited bout gay parade on the streets. but i dnt really condemn ppl who r a lil bit... exhibitionist bout this. im a bit more of a 'im me and ur u' kinda person.

11. Micah

The minute we're treated equal is the minute I'll stop fighting to be treated equal.

12. JSG

JSG Guest

Umm, yeah...
    I'll talk about whatever I like, whenever I like.

I understand that blabbing on about the same thing gets annoying real fast, but that doesn't mean we shoud stop altogether.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Larry the Cable Guy is the poster child for stupid. Sorry. I'll keep talking about gay rights until we have them.

14. pirateninja

If heterosexuals shut up about themselves being heterosexual, then I'll shut up about being homosexual. Plus I'll shut up about having equal rights when we get equal rights.

15. InaRut

This my friend is what we call, Satire.
    Larry the Cable guy's joke humor is suppose to be super-hick (super offensive). I can see where this is comming from but it also is an extension of the truth. I mean did the African Americans not do the same thing for their rights?

16. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well if those comments were applied to the UK, then I kinda see what he is talking about. Here there isn't much homophobia (a little bi-phobia though...), and so people don't really NEED to dance in the streets to celebrate the fact they are different. Few people older than 18 really care, in my experience. However I apreciate this isn't true in other parts of the world. I think though here in England GBLT parades don't really aid a fight for more rights. However that doesn't mean they aren't fun, or a good idea for other reasons.

Just my 2p

17. Psychedelic Bookmarks

hmmm... i don't think the uk is perfect. london may be better, but out here in the sticks, there are hardly any out gays/bis/trangender, and i would say there is quite a lot of homphobia. nobodys getting beaten to death or anything, but it's still not perfect.

18. Ty

Ty Guest

Down in oxford we have...something like 150 gay pubs/bars in oxford and around it?
    I never knew oxford had such a large gay life o.0 it must have for the need for 150!!

19. InaRut

You just gave me more reasons to move to the UK when I grow up.
    GOD and you live in London. Fuck your lucky. :frowning2:

20. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could be quite right, I apologize for my generalization. Having lived in London all my life, I tend to think of it as England itself. I wouldn't know what things are like in other parts of the country.

Well certainly the UK is a nice place, but I'd check out the actions of our government for the next few years. We are on the edge of going somewhere nasty, and if it turns out that we go there then I wouldn't advise anyone to come here, in fact I'll be leaving.

If not though then we'd be happy to have you! :icon_wink