1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

440,000 Gallons=One man's water usage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perrygay, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Atlanta's resevoirs are at critcally low levels, and look at the amount of water ONE man was using....it's insane. Even with no drought conditions, what he's using is insane. The county should just shut his water off, seriously.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14587528/detail.html

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is really awful and insane, that one person would "use" (read: waste) all that water.

However, it's worth noting that in terms of water usage, corporations use HUGELY more water than any individual, even one so negligent as this one, and so policing residential use, while important, represents the policing of... wait for it... a drop in the bucket compared to the "use" (read: waste) of water to serve corporate interests.

For instance, here in Canada, our Prime Minister wants individuals to be responsible for 75% of the reduction in CO2 emissions that are targeted, when individuals only produce about 23% of all CO2 in this country. Guess who produces the bulk of CO2 emissions? Yep, that's right. But of course to say our current PM is in the pocket of big corporations is to severely understate the matter.

3. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I completely agree with everything you said, it's right on target. But it's still outrageous a single person would use that much water, and he should be held accountable for that.

4. Hydrogen

Georgia has a history of not being able to manage it's infrastructure. Over here, if you go over a set limit per household, you 1st get a ticket, and second 3 days in the slammer, plus a fine. That usually stops the problem. Are they not doing anything just because he has $$?

If I were the neighbors I would go turn the water off myself.

5. Micah

When comparing individuals to larger companies, you really have to keep in mind that where an individual uses water for luxuries (such as longer showers, filling swimming pools and watering the garden), a large portion of companies use water to make money and strengthen the economy.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah totally. It's crazy.

7. Hydrogen

Seems the home owner now feels ashamed since the AP and other picked up the story. The water company says he has agreed to cut down usage.

Still too much if you ask me.

8. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Yea, but this is one guy, in a single house.

And, Hydrogen, I don't think Georgia necessarily has a problem managing existing infrastructure, it just has a hard time with managing its growth. But you're right that Georgia has to do better. I'm not sure if it's in this article, but I know I have seen it somewhere, that his guy's house has a 2 inch water pipe vs. the average 5/8 inch water pipe mandadated by the county. Why Cobb decided to let him have this huge pipe, I don't know, but it's obvious that metro Atlanta has no clue how to properly manage it's growth.

9. xequar

The harm that corporations cause to society and the environment is far more than any economic good that they bring. In my view, being a corporation does not grant a free pass to rape the environment in the name of making a buck.