1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about straight guys

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mogget, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Mogget

Okay, so I was recently at a family gathering and was in a group of female cousins plus one other male cousin. The discussion turned to uteri and menstruation, but, realizing the other male cousin was present, they immediately apologized. I pointed out that I was also male and that they hadn't apologized to me, to which they responded that I was gay and wouldn't be put off of sex by the conversation.

So... do straight guys really get that freaked by talk of women's non-sexy ladybits and functions? I've seen a similar attitude on a few sitcoms, generally with guys being grossed out when a woman says she's on her period or somesuch. I have no real problem with talking about menstruation, so I was wondering, is this really a thing with straight guys? Or is it a thing with most people generally and I'm just not sensitive to it?

2. Shevanel

Some do, Yeah. Certain things can make me grossed out in that area, mainly menstruation however. Things like sex during Menstruation, eating menstrual blood, stuff like that. Also, Placentas. But that's about it.

To me, I think it's quite rude they'd automatically assume you'd be okay with it. If they assumed that about me, I'd raise a shit storm. But that's me.

#2 Shevanel, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. Danny19

same freaken here.. i mean i grew up with women. which i just got used to hearing about that stuff. but like its uncomfortable to be in the middle of that.. i would be quite pissed if they told me that. i speak my mind so like shevanel said i would also raise a shit storm. lmao:grin:

4. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    Silly, silly boys and their fear of periods :lol: I think a lot of guys in general get grossed out when girls start talking about stuff like that, gay or straight. I personally think its kind of weird how some girls just bring it up out of nowhere, like its a topic that all girls love to talk about. Try not to get too upset with straight girls when they do things like that- they make assumptions because they think that gay means all kinds of things because of stereotypes and who knows what else. Explain why you thought it was rude, because I'm pretty sure it didn't even occur to them why you'd get mad. I have to do this all the time, so I get that it can get really, reallllllly old.

5. Shevanel

For the record, I misused the whole shitstorm term. I'd just be like "Dude, wtf" to the whole period discussion in the open. I'd just be like "Why the hell would you think that's okay to talk about in front of me?!". Joey doesn't really make shitstorms xD

6. x2x2x2x2y2

I think a lot of straight guys don't like hearing about it.

I wouldn't mind talking about period stuff as long as it's not all detailed. I've grown up around all girls, so I'm used to hearing about it.

Also: Yeah, I'd be pissed if they just assumed I was ok with hearing about it.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I have to agree with the shirt-storm sentiment, partly because the topic makes me just as uncomfortable as it does the next guy, but also for another reason.

The fact that they thought putting a guy off of sex was the only reason to not bring up uteri and menstruation just doesn't sit right with me on several levels. It says a lot about how sex-focused they think men are, and it shows insensitivity on their part for not realizing someone might be uncomfortable with this topic for other reasons.

8. Fiddledeedee

I expect that some straight guys are fine with such a conversation, and many gay guys aren't. One of my "friend circles" at school will get boys they dislike to go away by starting a discussion about periods. It usually makes me go, too, unless it's to get rid of a boy I hate as well!

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it certainly doesn't gross me out, but it's not really enthralling either. It's just like any other bodily function.

i am more grossed out by people who talk about eating their own boogers >.<

10. steel03

It doesn't have anything to do with sexual orientation, it just is less unsettling to some people than others. It was pretty assumptive of them to think you would be okay with it just because you're gay. It grosses me out just as much as it does my straight male friends, honestly.

11. Tracy Lord

Not necessarily true in your scenario, but I think part of it is also that straight girls are less likely to want to share the "ewwier" bits of femininity with straight guys because it might make them appear less attractive to a potential lover/date/suitor. Yeah, it's all quite natural and everything, but we don't fart in front of people we're attracted to, either....

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agh, any talk about periods around me completely grosses me out. I just...blragh xD In my group of friends I'm actually the only one that has a problem with it though. Everyone else seems to take it as talking about the weather, which I honestly don't get.

The comment was a little bit out there, but nothing a simple reminder won't solve.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have started talking about something gross like a wet dream discharge...buts thats just me.

about all straight guy I know get freaked out by mentsral blood, but I've eatten a meatball sub while watching a Friday the 13th marathon so....

14. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know more about menstruation than most women I know, so I think I could teach them a thing or two. I can't speak for anyone else, but I really don't mind discussing bodily functions, so long as proper anatomical terms are used. Otherwise we sound like cave people grunting. The human body does some crazy things, and everyone knows it, so why pretend it doesnt happen or ignore it? Oh well, if talking about bodily functions bugs someone I'm in conversation with, then we can always change the subject.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recall women discussing menstrual things in my presence other than in a really simple and basic way. "I needed a tampon, and so I asked my friend..." or "And I can get a bit grouchy just before my period starts...", or things along that line. No details about blood color or anything like that. :slight_smile: And I don't recall them saying these things only when gay men were around. Maybe I've got a more enlightened group of friends.

>>>I have to agree with the shirt-storm sentiment...

I'm totally calling it a "shirt storm" from here on out. :grin:

Lex

16. simon94

This happened around me before I came out. I think the intention WAS to freak me out (got very very very Graphic. Like the state of occaisional pairs of ruined underwear etc.). In fairness I think any conversation that shares personal information to this degree is inapropriate- at least in a casual situation with one or more people who could do without hearing it- regardless of the gender of the person talking.

17. Eric

I'm very grossed out when it comes to women talking about menstruation. I also get grossed out when women, nay, almost anyone talks about sex. I'm quite squeamish when it comes to any human sexual function.

18. Bolin

^^^ This.

I don't know what it is about my mom and my two sisters... They always feel the need to inform me of the gory details of their "woman's day." :rolle:

19. haelmarie

I'm not a straight man, but I mean it's just blood. I don't see the fuss.

20. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

My straight friends freaked out when I found a tampon and asked one to hold on to it. Like it was going to burn off their hands or something. I realized when it comes down to it anything about the female genitalia freaks them out. One day in biology we were talking about vaginal discharge and this guy asked "So its a fluid, that comes out of a chicks vagina RANDOMLY?!" and he had to move away from the group of girls he was sitting with. He was freaked out. I found it funny. Another time after a health fair, we had gotten a female condom and all the males in our group were too afraid to touch it. Well, some girls too. My best friend and I were the only ones who would touch it.