1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What age should girls wear make up??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Jun 28, 2011.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

So this is really random but: What age do you believe that girls should start wearing make up?? And girls, what age did you start wearing it?? (assuming that you do)

I'm asking this because my 12 year old niece was caught wearing mascara. Her mom was mad until she realized that she was around her age when she started wearing it. My niece is still not allowed to wear it, but didn't really get punished.

Personally, I was pretty pissed hearing that. lol I'm sure my niece was just experimenting with it and stuff tho, but I wouldn't let my daughter wear make up till she was 15 or 16. So now I'm wondering if I'm just strict. =S haha

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had kiddie makeup kits from about age five onwards, so it was never really forbidden and I didn't get that whole "I'm disobeying my parents tee hee" thing from it. I experimented a bit with proper makeup from about age 12 (I refuse to look at photos of myself at that age in any kind of formal situation, I never accepted makeup help), my best friend at the time was very into makeup so she got me into it a bit. I got bored with it a year or so later, and pretty much haven't bothered since then.

3. Fiddledeedee

I was somewhat sad when I realised that my step sister, who recently turned 10, shaved her legs. I mean, I don't yet except for things like my youth worker's wedding. i think that girls shouldn't wear make-up until around 15, but this is unlikely; a store was recently found to be selling bikinis with padded tops for 7-year-olds.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever they want. Its for them to decide. Whats the problem?

5. DefineNormal

DefineNormal Guest

I think that I was about eleven and a half when I started wearing it everyday to school- not in a slaggy way btw, I'm so not that 'cool'. I wish I hadn't bothered because if I take it off now I look really young and strange to myself so I envy my friends who don't wear it. It's also such a pain, I've worn less as I'm getting older ironically.

My parents weren't bothered by it and still aren't unless I wear it really black or obvious at school, weekends is fine though. I dunno, I think it's someones choice whether or not to wear it but parents need to stop little kids wearing that bright sticky pick lipgloss- it just looks ridiculous :slight_smile:

6. I was probably about 12 when I started messing around with makeup, but I don't wear it all that often now. But seriously, what's the big deal with what age girls wear makeup? I mean, the reality is, makeup is not the worst thing young girls could be wearing.

7. roborama

i started wearing makeup around 13 but me personally when i have kids will let my kids wear makeup as soon as they are willing to learn to not look like a clown (ie learn from me, a book, youtube, etc)

8. TheLilyTribe

I'd say I was around 13 when I started wearing makeup, and 14 when I started wearing it regularly. I mostly wear it though to keep my skin even toned, any spots where my skin is pinker than the rest really show up because of my red hair if I don't have makeup on.

9. Just Passing

I think too young an age is unacceptable, but when girls find that they are interested in learning and get a good start in learning how to use it wisely and well as they approach their teens, I'd say that's fair enough.

Then again, I'm probably not the best person to post in this thread. :grin:

10. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

i started when i was 12 too, but my mom taught me how to put it on right so i didn't look like a clown lol. she just taught me how to do a little eye shadow and mascara, nothing major. and mascara is not THAT bad

11. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Personally, I think 12 is an acceptable age to wear makeup. Subtle makeup like mascara and lip gloss (maybe even a light eyeshadow & rouge) isn't going to hurt her.

I've only ever worn eyeliner and mascara and sometimes lip gloss.

12. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    Makeup is fun and temporary. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think it should depend more on the maturity than the age when it comes to things like makeup for every day.

13. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

Growing up my parents always told me makeup is a tool for impressing boys. I well... I have never been interested in impressing boys.

I dont really wear makeup at all. Occasionally I will wear eyeliner when in uniform and I am feeling insecure but I dont like wearing the stuff, I dont like spending my money on the stuff.

14. Just Passing

Which makes me question how much money you girls would save on not purchasing make up. :grin:

15. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

I dont really buy it but I think it ranges from $5.00 to $10.00 in a department store. If it was purchased from someone in the makeup business like Avon or MaryKay its probably WAAAAY more.

16. ICTOAUN

if i had a kid i wouldnt let them wear make up until middle school. seventh grade. or until i noticed all the other girls wearing it. and of course id teach her how to do it right so she wouldnt go to school looking like a clown.

17. Markio

If I had a daughter, I'd wait until she was 13, the beginning of the teenage years, to start wearing makeup. Or else the summer before high school. I'd probably treat it like the sex talk. You know, sit her down, go over foundation, blush, eyeliner, and so forth, explaining what each one is used for, how to be responsible and correctly apply things, how to pick the right shade, etc. I would probably end with some combination of "less is more; celebrate your natural beauty" and "wear make-up for yourself, not because some person wants you to; also, wearing thick lipstick does not give others the right to treat you poorly!"

18. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a question for everyone who has set an age limit.

Would you be more or less strict about your child wearing makeup if your child was a boy instead of a girl?

19. flymetothemoon

I don't know that I would set a specific age limit for my kids wearing makeup, but I do think there is a limit to how much I would let them wear out in public. I don't have a problem with kids have kiddie makeup to play dress up with, but there's a difference between that and going out in public with a face full of makeup. As far as going out in public with it, I'd want the kid to know what was tasteful and I'd talk to them about what was appropriate for their age. I think I'd be ok with something like just a little mascara and lip gloss at a younger age than what I'd want them to be before they are wearing everything. Full makeup, I'd probably want them to be in 8th or 9th grade first. As far as the question about if I'd be more strict or less strict if my child was a boy, I think I would not necessarily be more strict, but I would definitely want to talk to the child about it before they went out in public with the makeup on. I would want them to understand that they can wear some if it makes them happy, but that they need to know that some people might not be ok with it and might say things to them and that it doesn't make them any less important or special if people do say something. I wouldn't want my kid going out unprepared to deal with that and getting hurt because they didn't know to expect it. But I would make sure they knew that I still loved them and that I was okay with them wearing it if it was what made them happy and comfortable.

20. GuardianKitten

Drug store makeup is cheeper. And it's all the same makeup (it has to be, sterility issues)

But 11-13 is pretty reasonable IMO. They're kids, they want to experiment a bit. Why not? If they cake it on so thick you can't see them, then yes there's a problem but otherwise... meh. Have it be allowed and it won't matter so much to 'em

@Corporeal
    No. Depending where my partner and I lived I may feel a need to warn them about potential harassment for it, but I wouldn't stop them under grounds of them being male.
    /likes light eyeliner once in awhile

Side note, are we counting nail polish as makeup?? Because that, I think little kids should be allowed to have access too, just supervizsed so they dont dump the bottles.

#20 GuardianKitten, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011