1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Grof142007, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Grof142007

Ok im in my Adv Compostion class and we have to write an a Argumentative Research Paper and we can choose the topic. Well i suck at choosing topic so i looked at the list she gave us and what do you know Gay Marriage was on the list

She told us we should choose something were interesed in or want to know more about. Well in this case im both. Im of course interested in gay marriage and i want to know more about it.

The more i think about this the more i want to do it i really dont care how hard it going to be cause it will help me later on in life knowing the infomation.

So Guys if you would be so kinda and help me find good Site about Gay marriage.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

How about coming up with a bunch of questions about how we feel about gay marriage, whether it's available in our areas, whether we have or would marry if we could, etc, and ask them here. I'm sure you'll get some good comments and opinions that you can use in your paper.

Would that work for an Argumentative Research Paper (I don't know what that really is)?

3. Grof142007

Im guessing it stating 3 reason why (in this case) Gays should be allowed to marry then acknowleding other view points why they should not. then going back to your view point of why they should. ( which is called a rebuttals )

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  5. Jerr

A while ago there was something about why gay marriage is not American. All of it was completely sarcastic but those are REAL reasons why people are against it.

I recently wrote a paper arguing it and I used that and elaborated on each point.

...that and I used Wikipedia... (Ok so it was due the next day and I panicked... so sue me!)

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember having a similar debate in one of my lessons at college. One of my classmates said that gay marriage should not be allowed because they don't contribute anything to society, but I pointed out that infertile couples won't either. There are Pro's and Con's for it.

I find it rather difficult having a discussion about this because it's rather biased. I'm bound to say it should be allowed, for obvious reasons. I'd expect a heterosexual couple to be indifferent on it, but some just refuse to accept it should be allowed. Though I'm not really going to hijack your thread with the whole homophobia debate. :icon_redf

7. pirateninja

quoted from this thread: http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3008

8. CelebrityHead

^ Haha yes, that is the best!
    I reckon if the tone in your argumentative essay is allowed to be sarcastic, you could easily slot some of those rebuttals in there. Like, "Some argue that children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children."

Haha classic! Whoever wrote this stuff should be bought a drink. Or knighted. :slight_smile:

9. sprucemoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being old enough to remember when it was illegal just to be gay, I would like to point out that our community seems to reject the idea of civil union as a start, opting rather for full marriage or nothing. Isn't this a little like refusing to buy a car because you're holding out for a new BMW when all you can afford is a second-hand Toyota?

10. emerald

Civil Unions might be a step up from having nothing, but it's still saying, "Nope you're not straight, no marriage for you." Any it doesn't include all the rights, and if it does, then call it marriage and be done with it.
    It's kind of like what Michael Collins and De Valera went through in Ireland. (I don't know how many of you know what that's about but it's a great parallel in history courses.)

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I see Civil Partnerships (as they are called here in the UK) as a major step towards marriage. They have (I think) all the legal rights of a marriage but not the religious backing. So really they are equivalent to a Registry Office (civil) straight marriage.

So why not call it "marriage" and have done with it?

I guess the issue there is that marriage implies church, and many churches do not even regard gay people as fit to go to heaven or be members of their church, let alone get married in church.

I think it should be called marriage though, and churches should be allowed to carry out same-sex marriages if they want to. Then it would be clear to everyone that it is certain churches that are denying us the right to use them for marriages, rather than any legal difference.

Hopefully that will come about in due course. However the Civil Partnerships we have now are a major step along the way. Compared to how things were only 40 years ago (gay sex was illegal in the UK until 1967) we have come a long way.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Civil Unions and Domestic Partnerships are baby steps toward full marriage equality. It is going to be really clear how unequal these laws are too marriage. For instance we have domestic partnerships in Oregon beginning in January. We have all the state benefits of marriage but none of the federal benefits. The problem is you cross the Columbia River into Washington and none of those rights are valid. Washington's Domestic Partnerships have only about 3 benefits. So I think these kinds of laws have to happen to get the full thing.

13. WilbersRevenge

I personally don't get it. Granted I am biased for it. But why do all these random people care, i mean it does not affect most of them personally. To quote my father (who i am not out to)- "it is so stupid for these religious groups to argue this. Why does it make a difference to them whether two guys can get legally married. And that civil union thing is such bull:***:. It is like saying that they are not good enough for marriage." (Not a exact quote, but really close)

14. boy0boy

I really do feel like this.^

I myself don't follow any religion, like many people. So even if I was straight, it would have no religious inclinations for marriage. Way I see it, to have a "marriage" the religion you practice would have to agree with it, so at a basic personal level.. a civil union is the equivalent for me.

To me personally, assuming you would get all the same treatments of a straight union, people who argue "civil unions are a shame, we want to be the same and have it a 'marriage'" are a little selfish and insecure. If I was even lucky enough to live in a state that did grant civil unions, I would consider mine the same as a marriage. People will look down on you if you choose, don't join them by thinking your "civil union" is less than their "marriage," then you only let yourself down.

not to take this thread in another direction..... hopefully this helps with your report! :grin:

15. ampthejazz

Man, I wrote an 11 page paper on gay marriage last year. I got an A on it (a low A albeit, but an A). Basically, my stance was that same-sex marriage should be legal because all of the arguments against it are so weak. The benefits of marriage are great, and the benefits of having a family are great, while legalizing gay marriage harms no one, except for the pride of the right-wing conservative politicians who attack it.

I have loads of sources that could help you out. Hope it's not too overwhelming.

The Defense of Marriage Act: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/leg23.htm

Boston Globe article on gay marraige in Massachusetts one year after it was legalized: http://www.boston.com/news/specials...ne_year_later_nation_divided_on_gay_marriage/

Rudy Giuliani interview with Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250497,00.html

USA Today: “Divorce declining, but so is marriage.”: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-18-cohabit-divorce_x.htm

Anderson v King County - Washington State Supreme Court Case - I found this very useful in my paper, because the reasoning that the Washington Supreme Court used for denying same-sex marriage is completely flawed and, well, fucked up: http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/content/pdf/759341opn.pdf

Hernandez v Robles - New York State Supreme Court Case, with flawed logic similar to Anderson v. King County: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/3dseries/2006/2006_05239.htm

A list of marriage benefits: http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/pg/...6EE61-B80C-4FE1-B1687AC0F07903BA/118/304/ART/

New York Times article, "Gay Marriage wins by losing.": http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/o...8e4934f7182000&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

The 2008 candidates on gay marriage: http://pewforum.org/religion08/compare.php?Issue=Gay_Marriage

“Bush Backs Ban in Constitution on Gay Marriage.” - NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/24/p...c9e4471dcd92c9&ex=1393045200&partner=USERLAND

I hope those help!

#15 ampthejazz, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  16. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

As long as it grants equal legal rights and recognition, i could care less about religious implement. I don't want to get "married" or have a "husband", i'm not christian or even catholic, and damn proud of it.

I have my own religious beliefs separate from the church, i will find someone whom i love and want to share the greater part of my life with one day, but i will be clear to him that i don't want a "marriage". Yes, I want a ceremony but it will be celebrating our companionship and our love, under a different name.

17. pirateninja

Unfortunately, not calling it a marriage, which every straight person is allowed to call their union, does seem to me to be a way that they can say "I can have a marriage", and straight people can be legally married whether they are religious or not. It's another way for the haters to feel that they have one up over the gays.

18. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Is there even such a thing,
    i don't think there is a "legal" status for a religious decree? Maybe there is and i'm completely wrong.