1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assumptions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Noahroxursox, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Noahroxursox

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering, do people ever assume that you're straight, and if they do, what is your reaction?

2. Idonteven

I wouldn't think there is any reason anyone wouldn't think I'm straight unless they know I'm not anyway or they see me blatantly checking out a guy.

so... I really don't mind because I expect everyone to assume im straight anyway.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I like to think I'm somewhat stereotypical. Some people can tell and some people can't.

Last semester I was on my way to Joann Fabrics with a relatively new friend to get fabric swatches for a theater project and we were talking about ex's and former flames and stuff when I leaped into a story about my ex who was also in that class with us, who she used to see me with EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Well, she was very, very confused, let's just put it that way. I didn't come out to her specifically because I had just assumed it was obvious. I remember that at one point she said; "Are you mad because he likes you that way or....?" and I just gave her like the weirdest look. We laughed about it afterwards though.

4. I don't think I look all that gay... a lot of people are surprised when they find out I am... but every once in a while there will be someone who guesses. Like one day my friend told me she was trying to explain who I am to someone who couldn't remember and so my friend described my appearance and the person went "OH, the gay one!" Which is like, WAT.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    always with me, in fact most people think I'm joking when I tell them I'm gay.

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2011 at 10:15 AM ----------

There is nothing "gay" about me I guess.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I have only ever met one person who wasn't surprised when he found out I was gay, and he has superhuman powers when it comes to reading body language, mannerisms, and the like. Even since I started wearing a rainbow pin on my messenger bag and wearing a shirt that says, "When do I get to vote on your marriage?" on a not infrequent basis, people have still been surprised when I tell them I'm gay. Considering I've been pretty "straight acting" my whole life, people assuming that I'm straight is nothing new for me, so oftentimes, when it happens, I don't react to it at all. But when it happens with people who have known me for a while, who have had numerous opportunities to see the pin or the shirt, my visible reaction is still unremarkable, but my internal reaction is, "Are you being serious right now?"

7. Lyss

Lyss Guest

Dude, everyone thinks I'm straight unless I tell them. I guess I don't care because I don't go around always acting bi.... The only guy who told me he guessed I was bi was my best guy friend, who said he could kind of tell because I hang around this one girl so much. SHE'S MY BEST FRIEND. SHE'S LIKE MY SISTER!!

8. kem

kem

Most assume I'm straight. I'm out at school but I think most don't know. It's funny, because I'm actually somewhat stereotypical. I like sewing and interior design and all that, not to mention I like Lady GaGa.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough to say. I only find out about it if they say something like "do you have a girlfriend" or if a woman starts angling in my direction. (The last part doesn't happen much anymore, although it does still happen. :slight_smile: ) My reaction? Exactly the same as if they got my name wrong.

"Larry?"
    "It's Lex, actually."

"Do you have a girlfriend?"
    "I have a boyfriend, actually."

Lex

10. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

people assume im straight all the time, but i guess thats mostly because i havnt told anyone outside my immediate family, with the exception of a few. i dont know why they havnt guessed yet though...i'm pretty obvious about the lack of intrest in the guys at my school lol

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people can't really tell I'm not straight so I think it comes as a bit of a shock when I tell them. I'm definitely not stereotypically queer, on sight I reckon I come off as a straight person.

12. Bolin

Almost all people assume I'm straight. The only exceptions would be high school, my friends and (sometimes) my voice. In high school, I didn't date girls, and many people suspected that I was gay and flat out told me (and picked on me) about it. My friends sometimes give me "raised eyebrows" when I get passionately talk about things like America's Next Top Model, fashion, opera, etc. Also, my voice is somewhat high pitched more than frequently, causing people (usually ones in high school) to question me.

But other than those three instances, everyone thinks I'm straight. My family even tries to pick out possible wives for me... :rolle: Also, many people think I'm married with children for some reason... I don't know. :lol:

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think most people get the idea that I'm gay so I'm good in that part. Except for my family apparently. Like, come on, get with the program already >.>

14. haelmarie

I don't know. I think most people pick up on it?

15. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone thinks I am straight, as far as I know. No one says anything to me really.

16. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think most people tend to assume most people are straight. I've had a few people guess that I'm gay, probably based on the rainbow accessories (I usually have either a belt or a wristband), but a lot of people seem surprised.

17. V128

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people think I'm straight. Very few know I'm not, save for those I know on this forum! :wink:

I get asked, quite frequently, if I have kids, if I have a girlfriend, yadda yadda yadda. With the girlfriend thing I just say, "oh, no way." They usually laugh because they assume, I guess, that it's a 'guy thing' that they can identify with. With kids I just respond with a "no". My old boss once said that I was, "the only straight person he knew who wore earmuffs." It's pretty rare that I tell people, just because it's usually not anyone's business.

I also usually like leading people on for a while and then, when they start making assumptions about me I just ask them what they really know about me. That's when they find out that they really know absolutely nothing about me. I'm pretty private, and it's pretty fun to play with them. >:slight_smile:

18. Eric

People assume I'm straight, until they get to know me better. Then, it's somewhat obvious. xD

19. ICTOAUN

depends who im around. but yeah some people assume

20. Danny19

Everyone always thought i was straight even my closest friends who ive known for 11 years. The only reason ppl know im gay is because i told them and they say "oooh now i see it" lol. other than that they think im straight. my family and strangers.lol. my important friends know.lol..unless i try to make it obvious. which is kinda hard since i dont act like the stereotypical gay.. but whatever. i dont care i like it sometimes. i feel bad for that.