1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

difference b/w psychiatry and psychology?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biisme, Nov 15, 2007.

1. biisme

what is the difference between psychiatry and psychology?

does anyone kno, without using a specific definition from offline, what the difference b/w a psychiatrist and a psychologit is?

2. NkyJ

Salary!

I believe psychiatrists are considered more like doctors as they can prescribe drugs for mental illnesses after diagnosis. Psychologists try to work without medication to try to correct the problem.

3. biisme

so, neither is "better"?

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Psychologists, as i would put it try and "talk it out", while they are still "doctors" they cannot prescribe medications as Psychiatrists can if the problem cannot be "talked" out like OCD or Bipolar disorder.

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

depends on your interests!
    but i think psychiatry is better paid depending on who/where you are.

6. Sam

Sam

watch what you say I'm a future psychologist! j/k I'm not offended! psychiatrists prescribe medication psychologist don't and can't except a couple of the states in the U.S. and I'm pretty sure psychiatrists make better money but I'm looking at a $100,000 salary after experience so thats enough for me! I think psychologists are better because psychiatrists just give you meds and expect that to fix things while psychologists don't. I don't think you should just hand over some prescriptions, that doesn't fix the problem. Who wants to rely on medication to make them happy? Unless medication is absolutely necessary I don't see any reason to take them. And this is coming from somebody who has delt with depression, I refused medicine and still do. But for anybody out there on medication I don't make light of your situation and if I offended somebody that is not my intention if you need medication to help you lead a better life then I'm happy you take them and I hope that they help.

7. biisme

thnx. now my only problems are 1)getting money 2)avoiding my parents 3)getting there 4)finding a psych-whatever

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Psychiatrists are medical doctors. Psychologists are not, hence the not prescribing of drugs.

As for who's "better," that totally depends on your worldview and also on the problems that are to be addressed.

I've been told here in BC that currently you need to have a PhD in psychology to become a licensed psychologist--if you "only" have a Master's you can "only" become a licensed counsellor. However, that must be relatively new as my psychologist "only" has a Master's.

9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

As am i! Well that or social work, haven't decided yet.

I agree i'm for "talking it out".
    However some illnesses you simply cannot talk out, as i've said like Bipolar Disorder needs to be treated with lithium etc.

But as for depression, meds aren't the answer, the problem has deep roots that no medication can fully reach in my opinion.

10. pirateninja

Psychiatrists are the medical side, they diagnose issues concerning the mind and are seen as doctors.

Psychologists work on the theory side, experimenting with certain aspects of the mind (in an ethical way) to see if a certain theory is correct.

So in a way, Psychiatrists use the research that Psychologists create.

At least thats what I think