1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the bible to support anti-gay beleifs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pirateninja, Nov 16, 2007.

1. pirateninja

Courtesy of Deb Price, And Say Hi To Joyce

Thought I'd share that with you.

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Lol, see ! shows just how ridiculous that old book is.

3. mikeinla

Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually there's a great documentary which I've not yet seen but that has received some really strong reviews about challenging the practice of the bible to condemn homosexuality. It's called "For the Bible Tells Me So" and it features conservative Christian families and how they dealt with the coming out of a son or daughter. The episcopal bishop Gene White is featured as well as a prominent US politician. It's supposed to be really touching and thought provoking.

As a person who's trying to sort out their sexuality and develop a personal relationship with God this has been VERY MUCH on my mind.

A comedian friend of mine does a great bit along the lines of the original post about biblical prohibitions. Yeah if we followed those (and ALOT of Orthodox Jews do follow them) we'd be prohibited from doing alot of things we like.

4. Levi

Levi Guest

Lol, very nice post pirateninja.

The bible is really an interesting book, so don't dismiss it because of some people using it to spread hatred however.

5. pirateninja

Fair enough, just because some people misuse it to fuel their bigotry doesn't make it a bad thing.

6. Levi

Levi Guest

Just don't misinterpret that as christianity being a good thing.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Deb Price writes some really good things!

8. dictionary

How dare they wear clothes of more than one fabric... get the stones out now!

9. Ty

Ty Guest

Oh my god....wait a minute ......is that POLYESTER WITH COTTON I SEE?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

10. Airboy87

Airboy87 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is indeed a really interesting book. I'm just not totally convinced it's anything more than a great fiction novel. :slight_smile:

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The Bishop's name is Gene Robinson. He was keynote at the National PFLAG conference. Is Mel White in it also? (thus the name confusion) He founded Soulforce. (soulforce.org) It is playing in selected theaters across the country. I've heard that it is very good!

12. surfrboykai

nice read. also, yay! i've been sig'd!

13. davo-man

Thanks for that, it was very interesting and just reinforces my belief that the Bible needs to be taken with a pinch (or a mountain) of salt

14. CrimsonThunder

Epic.

Thanks for posting. :grin:

15. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

That's really cool!!!!
    Shows you just how hypercritically some people will use the bible not that i believe it is anything more then fiction based on myths and beliefs passed down from generation to generation. But really you would think that because so many people whole heartedly believe in the story of the bible they wouldn't be so hypocritical in thats sense, just goes to show that what the bible says really has reasoning towards what people say of do it is their own bigotry beliefs that tend to fuel their actions no matter how much they try to blame it on the bible.
    Any way I don't believe a inch of it and believe in science and evolution for the existence of man and the way the world is today, so frankly it doesn't matter to me at all.:goodevil: