1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dream interpretation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gordon, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Gordon

If you ever had a weird or strange dream post it here and we will try to tell you what it means. :slight_smile:

2. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well. . .there's one dream in particular that's related to a few others I've had, all with the same general message. This, however, is the dream that started it all:

I was at home with friends and we decided to get into a car a drive to a nearby university. When we got to the university, there was a number of people outside talking that I recognized. Everything was in a very bluish hue. Me and my friends got out of the car and split up, and I walked to some nearby steps that led to a short walkway/hallway. I remember lugging something and somebody else helping me with that, but I don't remember what it was. I then entered a door and proceeded into a building.

When I got into the door it was fairly dark, but there was light and I was able to see. There were two girls sitting at a desk that seemed friendly and I THINK I dropped off the thing I was carrying with them. They then pointed me towards another room which contained another door. At that point, my friend left and presumably went back outside. I then opened this door and proceeded forward.

I entered a space that looked very much like a mix between a labyrinth, maze, and a very wooden-ly furnished mansion. There were many rooms and doors but at the same time many open spaces. everything was still a bit dark but not as much as before. For some reason, I felt as though I didn't belong there. I wandered cautiously towards one end of the mansion and turned around when I noticed someone watching me. It was an old man that simply pointed me in the direction out, up one of the staircases. He was very intimidating, but I knew I could trust him. I then proceeded past him and up the staircase.

The staircase turned a bit and led into a stack of CD's and music related objects, arranged into steps. I knew I had to climb them to get out, even though things did seem shaky. I began to climb up them and kept hearing a voice say "control, control; you have the ability, but learn how to control" while I tried to climb. Everything was shaky, and somethings fell, but I eventually reached the top.

This seemed to be the main entrance/lobby of the mansion and was much better lighted than before; there were several staircases that led to it. I then proceeded out of the mansion back into the blue-hued university courtyard and my dream ended.

Anyways, when I say it's related to similar dreams, just a week afterwards I had a dream that only consisted of blue, nothing else. There was no objects, no land, no me, only blue and a bluish-energy face that said "hold on, I know you can hold on, learn to control yourself and emotions." It was a fairly short dream. It was one of the strangest dreams I have ever had.

Anyways, I wrote a novel, but It'd be great to see what you think of it.

3. Zontar

This thread is bunk for one reason: dream messages vary person-to-person. If you have some kind of book that tells you sleeping with your mother means you're schizophrenic, then throw it straight in the trash and listen to these points confirmed by serious study.

Considering the evolutionary purpose of dreams, you can interpret your own dreams very well. Studies have shown that the central purpose of dreams appears to be a "rehersal" of expected dangerous events and/or a simulation which reinforces things you have learned during the day.

For example, I've told the story of my evil robot nightmare when I was younger. But why did I have the nightmare? When you're young, distinguishing fantasy from reality is a bit more challenging. In real life, I expected the robot I saw on TV to be around the corner ready to attack me. Consequently, I had a nightmare that posed this very scenario, as an evolutionary "defense". Not coincidentally, the recurrent nightmare began to wane as I aged, because obviously there's not actually an evil robot ready to kill me.

More realistically, imagine being out in the wild, confronted with predatory lions. Eventually, after persistently fearing their presence, you will be confronted with a dream where you are running from the lion and evading it. Why? It prepares you for the scenario in real life. This is a defense against predators; by dreaming about it, you know what to do.

Likewise, if you played video games for a while, you'd begin dreaming about what you've done. This is a way dreams reinforce subconscious learning. A study performed with a skiing video game confirmed this.

4. TheLilyTribe

I have dreams on a semi-regular basis where I try to walk up a hill, or stairs, (it varies) and I keep falling down and can't manage to get to the top. I even try to crawl up to the top but that never works either. I also remember wanting something at the top of whatever I'm trying to climb, I never remember what it is but I think it's almost always something different.

And there was one particular dream I remember very clearly, I was in a dark room and there was nothing but stairs going straight to a lit door somewhere very high up, and there were no guard rails, everything under the stairs was darkness. I made it about half way up the stairs before I started to shake, I made it a little further before the shaking got worse and I fell off the stairs. I grabbed on to the side of one of the stairs but the shaking got even worse then and I lost my grip and fell.

I have absolutely no idea what these dreams are supposed to mean, I'm stumped. @_@

5. Gordon

Well I'm no psychologist but I'll say that this means your feeling cluttered and overwhelmed and possibly living in a messy environment, your living in or going to a place with strong social stature the maze means that it's a large and complicated place, the blue and the demand for control implies that you are gaining control or responsibility and finally the strange man shows anonymity or a foreign presence. Much of this is guess work so some of it is synchronized.

Sigmund Freud states that dreams are how the sub-continuous communicate with the pre-frontal cortex, combined with Jung's theory of the collective human contentiousness we can attain information albeit simple emotional states it is still an invaluable resource to analytical psychologist.

6. Zontar

Oh, I never said it wasn't. My main point is that dreams are very subjective.

7. Gordon

They may be suggestive but psychology has benefited greatly from dream interpretation, you are suggestive when you're young but as you grow and interpret things in your own way dreams with meaning become more vivid and meaningful.