1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does July 4th mean to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bibliophile, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Bibliophile

Ok I know this is mainly for those in the U.S. but I am curious to hear what you think of today's holiday. Today is the day to celebrate the freedoms fought for on the founding of our country. However it saddens me that many people throughout the U.S. do not enjoy the full rights that are granted to most of the rest of the population. Simply because of loving someone of the same sex. It burns that I spent 6 years in service of my country and yet should I choose to live and spend my life with another guy I will face more fight in that then I did in 6 years of military service. The only thing that I can hold to is that there are people like me that view the oath they took to the founding principles of liberty seriously. That there are those that fight for what this country was founded on. I know that it might be hard to take some times but know that there are those in which the light of liberty still burns strong and that they fight for ALL men and women to hold the rights that they are born to. So today for me this is the celebration of a fight for human liberty that has been fought since the drafting to the Deceleration of Independence.

What does this day mean to you? What do you think of where we stand on liberty and where we have to go?

2. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Means nothing to me. It's just another day. I do like the fireworks, but they represent nothing; we're not as free as we think we are.

3. Just Passing

Since I'm not American, the 4th July doesn't hold much meaning to me, so it's just another day. :slight_smile:

4. Bibliophile

Care to expand on that? I get as I stated that it might be hard for some in the LGBT community to get pumped up when they do not have the same freedom as other people but at the same time where else would you be more free?

I dont mean to come off as confrontational but I dont get it when people say things like we are not as free as we think we are. Sure there are laws I dont like and things I think need to change but I know of no where else I would be more free or have more of a chance to make the changes I would like to see.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2011 at 03:25 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post but I missed this the first time. I can dig that thought our forth is similar to the signing of the Magna Carta for those of you over in Briton. So gotta ask and sorry for my lack of knowledge on the matter but do you guys have anything like our forth for that?

5. Zontar

Hotdogs, fireworks, and warm nights.

6. Just Passing

As far as I'm aware, Britain doesn't really have a celebration on the magnitude of Independence Day. There's St George's Day, but it isn't really on the same scale. I'm really unsure to be honest, but thanks for taking an interest. :slight_smile:

7. starfish

Independence day used to be quite an important day to me. As it was a very important event in our history and changed the lives of a lot of people.

6 years ago my mother lost her battle with cancer on July 4th. It hasen't been the same since. I kind of ignore the holiday because it brings back lots of painful memories.

8. Truth. I use it as an excuse to get together with people I love, enjoy the weather, eat good food and kick back.

Which I guess is kind of an exercise in freedom.

As much as I don't like the fact that my life liberty and pursuit of happiness are a bit squashed because I'm gay in America and there are lots of other things wrong with our country, I can't imagine living anywhere else. This is my home. I love my country. Which just means that if I don't agree with the way things are, I need to work to change them, instead of just being grumpy about it. *Not saying anyone specifically is just being grumpy, this is just how I feel about myself.

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2011 at 12:12 AM ----------

I'm sorry to hear that (*hug*)

9. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's pretty important to me. It's nice to reflect back on the circumstances that ultimately lead to where we are today. Yeah, our country has a lot to learn, and for that reason alone it's important not to be lost in blind patriotism and nationalism but, at the same time, I feel as though it is important to have pride for where you are(your country) and all those who have helped the nation survive and thrive, not to mention the infinite number of personal reasons.

There will always be dark times, there always have been and, in a way, they are necessary; Without them we would never grow. There are good people and bad people, good means and bad means; today is a day to remember the good.

Happy Fourth!

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a reminder of patriotism for me. I don't like patriotism. It splits humanity into a series of boys' clubs.

In the words of socrates (i think): I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, i am a citizen of the world.

nope, it was Diogenes of Sinope who said "I am not an Athenian or a Corinthian, but a citizen of the world."

same message anyway

11. Tsende

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The holiday means fireworks and that's all it's mean to me lately. I don't celebrate holidays as much as I used to. I've even gotten to forget what many of them are for.

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It means a lot to me because it means the summer vacation is halfway over, including my unwilling stint working at a paper factory, first and foremost. It's an excuse to see family and friends. It brings people together and that's what I care about.

As far as American values and stuff is concerned, I understand why we celebrate it and stuff but honestly, it rings very hollow with me. This country and its people aren't really free. I sometimes think that I would have been much happier had I been born in the Netherlands or Denmark or something.

13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About 4 fireworks were let off in a nearby park last night.

14. IanGallagher

Independence. Celebrating my heroes, the founding fathers. Not America as it is today to some people. But, the ideal it was created to become. And the America it will hopefully be again.

15. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I used to like the Fourth, but I don't really care anymore.

These days, the Fourth of July just means people setting off firecrackers until past midnight for about a week. Annoying.

I can, if I think aout it, work up a little patriotism, though. For instance, even though this country has problems, I am glad I at least live in a country where I won't get thrown in jail or executed just for being gay.

16. adam88

It's that day when you're back at work after the long Canada Day weekend and nobody is posting anything online 'cause they're all in the States. :grin:

17. TheAnonymity

I'd change it to fireworks, warm nights, hotdogs, and hotdogs :icon_wink

18. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Absolutely nothing but an annual party at my aunt's house and people calling the sheriff on that guy who shoots off illegal fireworks every day of the week before the 4th. I see not nearly as much independence or freedom here as we should have. Oh, and hotdogs. :slight_smile:

19. Haberdasher

The country's not doing so hot on LGBT rights. And in some ways that's the least of its problems. Ultimately, I've never really felt the government here has represented my interests so its hard to care for it.

But I'll light a few fire crackers, I'm as fond of seeing stuff blow up as the next guy.

((Love the land though, I don't give a rat's ass about "America" but the land itself is beautiful))

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually go and watch some fireworks and think about the military members both past and present. I also spend the day with my family.