1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWS: Archbishop Tutu chides Church stance on homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7100295.stm

For some information on Archbishop Tutu's views on homosexuality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Tutu#On_homosexuality

"Jesus did not say, 'If I be lifted up I will draw some'." Jesus said, 'If I be lifted up I will draw all, all, all, all, all. Black, white, yellow, rich, poor, clever, not so clever, beautiful, not so beautiful. It's one of the most radical things. All, all, all, all, all, all, all, all. All belong. Gay, lesbian, so-called straight. All, all are meant to be held in this incredible embrace that will not let us go. All."

2. waitingsucks

Yea I think that to. The newest comandment was "love one another just as I have loved you" and I think that some people take that as love everyone but still not accept their lifestyle or sexuality. So many people use the bible as a weapon against gays but everything all comes back to acceptance and love anyway. and of course it was written 2 thousands years ago!

3. Jeimuzu

Yes, and that's one of my biggest problems with religion - almost all religions rely on a document thousands of years old.

This is the cause of one or two problems.

1.) It's just not socially relevant any more.
    2.) Anyone could have changed it. The words of a deity or not, they are still words. Words can be changed.

4. Steam Giant

Perhaps not quite on topic, here's a quote from Tutu that I fell in love with:

I think we can all agree with that one! No matter how many times I read/hear sentiments like this, they always make me feel warm inside. "With all of the problems facing our planet/species, why are we so worried about sexual orientation?"

5. TriBi

Archbishop Desmond Tutu is, and has been (for a very long time), a quite remarkable man.

I am not a fan of any form of organised religion - but I am a fan of 'men of principle' - and he is most certainly that (in spades).

Regardless of potential controversy he will never shy away from giving his opinion (and most often I agree with him).

6. CrimsonThunder

What a legend.

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

all hail the supreme tutu. umm... in a respectful way of course :wink:

no seriously, as an anglican christian, i feel so proud that he is a bishop. he's one of the best guys around, on almost any issue u care to discover his stance on.

8. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG....I freaking LOVE him. I actually got to hear him speak once. It was something I'll NEVER forget. And now to see that he feels this way about homosexuality....*happytears*

I also find it interesting that he says "so-called straight". I wonder what he means by that. I could just be taking the quote out of context, but it almost sounds like he's implying that he believes that we all have a trace of homosexuality in us. It would definitely line up with his believe that love conquers all. I love this man...so much. :slight_smile:

#8 trumpetkid23, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008